Call your shot: Will the season start on time?

Will the season kick off on TNF September 10th?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. NFL 2020 season kickoff with Texans at Chiefs 9/10

• Won’t happen ... season will be cancelled
    • Won’t happen ... season will be delayed
    • Will happen ... let the countdown to NFL football begin

I am not throwing away my shot...

I am not throwing away my shot...

I am NOT throwing away my shot...

I'm just like my team, I'm young, scrappy and lean

and I am not throwing away my shot!

2 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Jerry knows...

"Hurts my ears to listen 
Burns my eyes to see
Cut down a man in cold blood, Shannon
Might as well be me
We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
One's for sport and one's for blood
At the point of a knife
Now the die is shaken
Now the die must fall
There ain't a winner in the game
You don't go home with all
Not with all"

Jack Straw cut his buddy down and so will completing this season.  I just don't see it working out over the long haul of a season.  The stakes are just too high, larger than $$, and as Jerry says...  Nobody wins in that game.  The players already sense this.  Veterans are beginning to speak out.  Rookies are silent.  The owners fear it.  Right now it feels a lot like everybody is just whistling in the dark, pretending that everything will work.  How?  I just don't see it working...  I just don't get it right now.  And that sucks, but sucking doesn't make it any less real.

Bob Weir sang that song.....

12 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I dunno, that seems to be the NFL narrative but neither the players nor the virus are cooperating.

I voted yes but thats because Im an Optimist.

I voted it will be delayed because I'm not an optimist when it comes to the US response to Covid-19.   I don't see the positivity rate dropping down to below 5% for 14 consecutive days, which is the "safe to open" metric set by the WHO, for most of the states where it's already high.  Only the Bills, Giants, Jets, Pats, Lions, Bears,  and Vikings play in states that meet the WHO criteria.   The Seahawks, soon-to-be-renamed Washington team, Eagles, Steelers, Bengals,and  Browns play in states with rates between 5 and 6%, so they conceivably could meet the criteria by September.  Together, those relatively "safe" states make up only about 40% of the league.  The Cards, Raiders, Bucs, Dolphins, Jags, Cowboys, Texans, Falcons, and Saints, almost a quarter of the league, play in states that have positivity rates of 10% or more as of today, July 21. (Testing Positivity JHU )  These numbers change day to day but with the politicizing of responses to the pandemic by the federal government and some state governments, expecting positivity rates to sharply decline before September in the states where it's currently above 10% just doesn't seem likely.

26 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Ha!  Yes he did.  Bob sang it like a man on fire.  But Jerry knew...  Don't let anybody tell you different.  Cheers and Peace.  Good Catch.

I'm getting to the point that i really don't care. This season given all that surrounds it is going to be horrendous if it was in any way like it use to be a week end to forget about all that's going on to take us away from what's happening in the world then i'd be where i have been for years on the week ends watching football .

Given that every game will have all the stuff you want to get away from in the commentary i think i'm just going to upgrade my tackle box, buy a bunch of ammo and arrows for hunting season and go sit either in a tree or by a creek on the week ends just to get away from it all for a short time like football use to do for me !! 

But i'll still come here and bug the S**T out of you all . Go Bills ...

Edited by T master

The season is in question,  it is either cancelled altogether or it gets shut down part way in.  The choice of the season starting but not finishing was not an option.  I see this as a likely outcome. One team with handful of positives pretty much infects that entire team, and the team they just played... 

Not sure about this, but I've heard that contract tracer training in NY State states that in order for someone to be considered "exposed" they have to have been in close proximity to an infected person for 15+ minutes. It isn't just that you were around someone or may have been in the same room/space. 

They were talking about that standard on the Sirius NFL channel this morning. Under that standard, the playing of the games themselves are the safest part of the return. It's more the plane/bus rides and meetings that could be risky, along with standing close on the sidelines. 

They were also talking about players and coaches/staff wearing tracking devices at all times while in the facility and during games. That way, exposure time to an infected person could be calculated and if over 15 minutes (cumulative) would result in quarantine of that person until 2 negative tests. In other words, a few minutes here, a few minutes there could add up to 15. But just tackling someone who had Covid would not likely result in quarantine. Players would still be tested every day or 2 days, depending on level of infection.

All of this tells me that they can play, and probably will. I think expanded practice squads with looser rules for calling players up are likely. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

They will play....they will finish.....it may take awhile to finish if things get wonky. 

I will say this Hockey will play and finish only due to the limited # of players and the 2 city bubble strategy.  NO WAY NBA will play/finish.  Too much shenanigans going on there.....

Go Bills!

Didn't NBA just report zero positive tests? 

I think we will see HS and college football played in the spring/winter. They can't afford the additional costs, and especially colleges need fans if possible. Possible plans are already in place for HS football in NY being played March-May. College could easily follow suit. 

If the Bills make the playoffs and have a home playoff game in January, it just lends itself to mask wearing for fans. It will be freezing and most will wear scarves anyway!

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Didn't NBA just report zero positive tests? 

For now....for now.  Hockey only reported 2 tests and they aren't even in bubble yet......I'm just of the opinion that the NBA diva's will break the bubble and it will all come crumbling down.  Hockey guys are too smart/stoopid to be Diva's......take that for what you will

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Definitely more players travel in the NFL (though similarly huge support staffs in Premier League soccer). But the Premier League are not bubbling as I understand the NBA is and as the cricketers of England and the West Indies are. They are going home, seeing their families then travelling to games together so there is at least some encouragement from that model. 

Yeah but Europe has a WAY better handle on all this CV19 than the US seems to not......

My prediction:

The season will start. 

The season will not finish.

Our two year window before JA gets paid will be down to one and we won’t even get a chance to compete for a title

As I'm sure others have already said in this thread, I vote for option three:

They'll start on time, but won't get to finish the season.

I predict a maximum of four weeks before everything gets shut down due to too many infections.

5 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Jerry knows...

"Hurts my ears to listen 
Burns my eyes to see
Cut down a man in cold blood, Shannon
Might as well be me
We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
One's for sport and one's for blood
At the point of a knife
Now the die is shaken
Now the die must fall
There ain't a winner in the game
You don't go home with all
Not with all"

Jack Straw cut his buddy down and so will completing this season.  I just don't see it working out over the long haul of a season.  The stakes are just too high, larger than $$, and as Jerry says...  Nobody wins in that game.  The players already sense this.  Veterans are beginning to speak out.  Rookies are silent.  The owners fear it.  Right now it feels a lot like everybody is just whistling in the dark, pretending that everything will work.  How?  I just don't see it working...  I just don't get it right now.  And that sucks, but sucking doesn't make it any less real.

+10 points for quoting Jack Straw!

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Bob and Jerry BOTH sang that song...

And if we're talking about who WROTE it, the answer is Robert Hunter and Bob Weir.