League agrees to no preseason games

So.. no preseason, and our first game is against the Jets, with an almost entirely new OL and two new WRs.  

Our defense better bring the heat Week One  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see that happening,  but the practice squads will be so big now they will just roll in the scrubs as needed. 

That's definitely one way they could approach it.  The NFLPA doesn't like that option and that's why you saw the Twitter protest this weekend.

I get it -- the players don't want their freedom of movement limited but also want protection against the virus.  I just don't see how they are going to get to play without picking one or the other.  In the grand scheme of things, buying out 32 hotels across the country and providing a training camp like environment for 20 weeks, is barely a dent in the NFL's pocketbook.

The other way they could go, as you pointed out, is "next man up".  Even in that scenario though, they are going to have to enforce procedures to limit contact amongst the players on the team... otherwise the practice squad is at risk too.

I assume most people on here are like me - we are desperate for football and some amount of normalcy.  I want them to do everything they can to pull off the season on the normal schedule and the fact that they had to cancel the preseason -- the one chance they had to practice their operating procedures, makes me really worried that their plan is on the brink of failing.

51 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

No preseason, man, what will the odds makers do now.  I'm not a gambler,  but the spreads for week 1 are gonna be way out of wack. 

I plan on betting the under on all the games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. They will play, players will test positive, they will isolate, they will keep playing. It will not be a normal season by any means, hell it might not even be a good product.. but they WILL get their product on tv.

what happens if one of the infected player,  god forbid, dies?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Good.

This combined with the "daily testing" concession the league made today may allow a season to at least start, assuming infections aren't out of control at training camps.

Hopefully training camps can be somewhat “bubble-like”.

Then? Pray for the best. 

3 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

this is about 90% of what this is all about.  NFLPA has been trying to get rid of PS for years. Now the precedent has been set. Next year they can say See, we didn't have them last year and everything worked out.

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Good news to me. Harder to shut down a started season, than after a preseason game or two. The games mean nothing and gives time for them to figure out how to contain it

If they get to the point of debating it, it won’t be worth watching anyway 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

That's definitely one way they could approach it.  The NFLPA doesn't like that option and that's why you saw the Twitter protest this weekend.

I get it -- the players don't want their freedom of movement limited but also want protection against the virus.  I just don't see how they are going to get to play without picking one or the other.  In the grand scheme of things, buying out 32 hotels across the country and providing a training camp like environment for 20 weeks, is barely a dent in the NFL's pocketbook.

The other way they could go, as you pointed out, is "next man up".  Even in that scenario though, they are going to have to enforce procedures to limit contact amongst the players on the team... otherwise the practice squad is at risk too.

I assume most people on here are like me - we are desperate for football and some amount of normalcy.  I want them to do everything they can to pull off the season on the normal schedule and the fact that they had to cancel the preseason -- the one chance they had to practice their operating procedures, makes me really worried that their plan is on the brink of failing.

“Next man up” is going to be a very limited option. If top players start testing positive the season will collapse. No one is going to watch 3rd and 4th stringers play out the season because whole position groups from teams have gone into quarantine. The only chance is isolation, IMO.

4 hours ago, sullim4 said:

The only way I see this season happening is putting the players, coaching staffs, and on-field personnel in isolation.  No physical contact with the outside world until a team's season is over.

So no contact with their family from September thorough January. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself how that sounds 

1 hour ago, major said:

So no contact with their family from September thorough January. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself how that sounds 

It doesn't sound pleasant. But a of of people are doing a lot of unpleasant things because of this.  Things are tough all over.  Man up and play.

5 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The NFL should make this move permanent.

In the future, post vaccine if that happens will bring back at least two pre-season games as the owners make almost all profit from it.  Players don’t game checks, just a stipend.  I’d be fine in the future with just competitive practices to evaluate players.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sullim4 said:

The problem with positive tests is that it takes a while after exposure to actually test positive.  It is entirely conceivable that a player will catch it from a family member on Monday, and not test positive until Thursday.  You could have entire position rooms testing positive if they are exerting themselves on the field together... and you cannot just IR your entire linebacking corps.

That's why I think isolation is the only answer here.  Football isn't like baseball or golf where physical separation isn't too difficult to achieve.  It's more like the NHL and NBA, where both leagues are using bubbles and other isolation techniques to isolate players.

Of course your are right, but I don't see how isolation is realistic. Not for a full roster for a 17 week regular season. An NBA roster is what? 15 guys?

An NFL roster is waaay larger during camp and even after final cuts you are talking 53 + practice squad, so what is that? 60+ players? Where they going to live? Who pays for lodging, food, entertainment, housekeeping, laundry and transportation for all the players, coaches, trainers, medical personnel, equipment people, etc. for 17 weeks + training camp? 

And of course the big question is: Will there be conjugal visits?