Wegmans not interested in stadium naming rights

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trader Joe’s is a very limited inventory-model supermarket.  People go there to get fancy frozen foods, otherwise it’s nothing special.

Ever been to that Stop and Shop in New Rochelle? Total dump.  

Same on Long Island.  I remember when Food Emporium was the high end market in those parts.  Wegmans would kill there as well.

Yup—I live in Larchmont, next door to NewRo.  I’ve been to the one that’s in the New Roc City entertainment complex (back when we could go to movies).  Totally agree that Wegman’s will wipe the floor with them.  

Harrison’s about 15-20 minutes from us.  Worth it to me, but I don’t usually do the shopping, so it may require special trips (but unlikely to include 2 am bulk candy runs after a night of drinking, although you never know)....

Edited by MattM

6 minutes ago, MattM said:

Yup—I live in Larchmont, next door to NewRo.  I’ve been to the one that’s in the New Roc City entertainment complex (back when we could go to movies).  Totally agree that Wegman’s will wipe the floor with them.  

Harrison’s about 15-20 minutes from us.  Worth it to me, but I don’t usually do the shopping, so it may require special trips (but unlikely to include 2 am bulk candy runs after a night of drinking, although you never know)....

yess...

My son goes to Iona Prep and occaisionally we do a little shopping when he has games.  Otherwise, we go over the GWB to Montvale Wegmans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

That's kinda the idea, but it helps drive incremental sales.

Sure, I get it. But my point is that if I decided to shop differently, seeking out better bargains, it takes me more time. So I am willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. It's win-win for me. If I had tons of spare time, I might approach it differently. 

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Why pay millions of dollars for naming rights to a stadium that will have a total fan count this year of zero.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of television?

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands

1 hour ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I feel like they are victimized by their own success.  If I go at 6:00 AM it's my favorite store by a wide margin.  Since it's a great store it is always really busy making my shopping experience slow and frustrating.

I’m now hitting Fresh Market at 8:04am right after they open. It’s fabulous. It stinks at 5:15pm. 

5 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Theres a new pizza chain in NoVA called "Badd Pizza" that advertises "Buffalo style" pizza with sweeter sauce and "cup and char" pepperoni.  Pretty good and wings are good.  Theres a a big "716" above the counter.  No Bills games though, I asked.  Not yet.

https://baddpizza.com/

Not sure if that's the best name.  Honey, want some bad pizza tonight?

1 hour ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I feel like they are victimized by their own success.  If I go at 6:00 AM it's my favorite store by a wide margin.  Since it's a great store it is always really busy making my shopping experience slow and frustrating.

Glad I’m not alone in this experience. It’s a great store, but I don’t want to be anywhere near one during the busy hours. It’s just not a pleasant experience. 

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Last I checked, beer and cigarette companies can’t do the naming rights thing, but could be wrong.  Good idea, and any beer company would meet all the criteria, just don’t think they’ve relaxed the rules enough.  If they did, you’d see Coors, Budweiser and half a dozen other stadiums named after beer companies.  Not my editorial as could care less.

The 2 off the top of my head are Coors Field in Colorado and The Molson Center in Montreal.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I’m now hitting Fresh Market at 8:04am right after they open. It’s fabulous. It stinks at 5:15pm. 

I hit the Fresh Market by my son’s place when I’m leaving after waiting for a plumber or appliance repair guy for 5 hours....oh, I digress! They have a really good hand made chicken pot pie. If you like that stuff, I suggest you try it. Yum! 

7 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Wegmans invested heavily in the LPGA likely with no ROI until the LPGA hung them out to dry. Maybe that is the reason for the current policy. 

I suspect the LPGA is a moderately high draw......with most of their parents. No offense, but even a sports starved country isn’t likely to drive revenue for an LPGA supporter. 

Curious on how they were hung out to dry. No knowledge about that. 

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They really aren't. 

Produce is often a big differentiator, as are service deli, butcher and prepared food.

Some stores have in house butchers, some don't, it makes a difference. Some have a service deli counter some are all prepacked, some have prepared food some don't some is good some is not. The center store is often similar but not the same as some stores have many fewer products and more own brands, some have 20 kinds of mustard (no joke). The meat stores get all comes from different suppliers and it can be very different quality. The produce comes from different places too and some stores are ok with having B produce on the shelf and some aren't. Some stores are really good at staffing the departments and rotating stock and keeping things fresh, some are not. They are the same in that they all sell food, yes that's true, but they all have their own differences.

I like Wegmans and Harris Teeter generally. Publix and Kroger are a little hit or miss. I hate Food Lion. Acme, Giant and Shop Rite are most of what I have locally and they are pretty much a toss up though I prefer Acme's meats.

The other thing WNY people need to realize is Wegmans outside of WNY are a little different than those in WNY. They are usually bigger and more of a destination type store than what you typically find in the WNY home market area and there are many fewer of them. I haven't been to every Wegmans in WNY but for the 3 or 4 I've been to often enough to make comment that is the case.

Edit: yes I know Kroger owns Harris Teeter now.

Haha, ok I can see you are passionate about your grocery stores.

3 hours ago, Big Gun said:

The 2 off the top of my head are Coors Field in Colorado and The Molson Center in Montreal.

Big Gun, no arguments the names are cool, but not the NFL.  That’s why if you do a quick search of a,l the NFL stadiums, none are after a company promoting alcohol.  Hockey and MLB have different rules.  Personally, I think it’s silly, but they haven’t come around yet.  They probably will as they loosened up on the betting thing, so it would make sense beer companies will eventually be able to get in on naming rights.  Once they do, Anheiser Busch, Coors, and so on will jump on it.