Wegmans not interested in stadium naming rights

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Wegmans doesn't spend money on anything unless it contributes to the bottom line.

That company has given $120 million in scholarship money to full and part time employees over the past 35 years.  They probably consider that a better use of their money than propping up a billionaire's stadium lease payments.

The Bills burned their bridge to Wegmans years ago, leading them to dump their sponsorship of Bills camp at SJF.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As large as Wegman's is, think this is still out of their price range.

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Of course it is. Grocery stores are razor-thin margin people...........

2019 revenues of 9.2 billion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ohh, NOW you’ve done it!

Yes, Publix is a good experience.....unless you care about what you pay for your food. I’ve shopped at Publix almost daily since 1993. Only recently did I come to realize how expensive they are. I heard a guy on the radio years ago saying a gallon of milk in NYC is cheaper than buying at Publix. I thought it was hyperbole. 

We eat a lot of fish. Publix will sell small portions tuna, swordfish, etc for like $8.99 each. They do the math right on the card for you....it comes to like $35/lb and looks like it’s been there a while because.....who wants to pay $35/lb for fish? A better looking piece of the same type fish can be had at Kroger for $9.99/lb. Tilapia can be 30-40% more at Publix. Milk can be double the price. Heck, I bought today’s salmon at Whole Foods figuring I probably saved over Publix. Publix is reliable like a Hampton Inn, but they charge like a Ritz Carlton. 

I’m not a price shopper, but when I realized how HUGE the difference was, it ticked me off! The gas station closest to the house routinely sells gas for .50-60 cents more per gallon than the surrounding stations. It’s a good corner, but a dumpy station. Regardless, people buy gas there all day long. I don’t mind paying a little more, but past a certain point, you’re just calling me stupid for shopping with you. 

I admit the Publix experience is usually a good one. The stories are reliable and clean, where some Krogers are very nice while others are quite dumpy. In most markets Publix serves, they try to own the market eliminating competition. In Sarasota, FL there is a Publix every two miles in any direction. I still shop mostly at Publix for convenience and a good experience, but I’ve been kinda ticked off since I started noticing the prices. 

I went into a Wegman’s on my last trip to WNY. I didn’t need anything, I just wanted to see a Wegman’s.  It was very nice, and I would shop there if it were a daily option for me and they have fair pricing. If I were to go more upscale, I think I prefer Fresh Market to Whole Foods and their off brands, but that’s another story. 

Wegman’s > Publix. 

Same here, three within 2 -3 miles of me. Several more within 5 miles.

Oof. Never noticed that. I can definitely understand the apprehension with that.

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Oof. Never noticed that. I can definitely understand the apprehension with that.

When they are the only game in town (their obvious strategy) it’s hard to notice. They had me fooled for decades. I noticed when we were in Nashville a lot and I was surrounded by nice Krogers. Once you notice one item, you start paying attention to others. 

Don’t get me wrong, they are competitive or even a little less with some products, but I do fish and milk weekly.  They are high on the things I routinely purchase, and that trouble maker @Seasons1992 knew I’d go off!  Well played, sir!  :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

That company has given $120 million in scholarship money to full and part time employees over the past 35 years.  They probably consider that a better use of their money than propping up a billionaire's stadium lease payments.

Educating their workforce contributes to the bottom line.  Sponsoring local sports teams does not.  I used to work there, couldn't get them to buy an ad in the high school program for a musical.  No way they're gonna blow millions on naming rights that won't put $1 in Danny's pocket.

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'll gladly refuse Wegmans and their naming rights, in order to keep them in position as the best grocery store in the USA. And I don't live in WNY. Wish the aisles were wider but they are the best in terms of about everything. Flame me, don't care. 

I drive 45 minutes into Massachusetts just to shop at Wegmans once a month.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I think 'Overpriced Groceries Stadium' would have a nice ring to it...

(I kid...I visit my Wegman's here in VA when I need some WNY essentials)

Really? Our Wegmans here in Northern Virginia kick the s**t out of every other grocery chain.

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

My hot take: Wegmans is only "awesome" because it has great lighting and awesome packaging. 

I kind of like the store, but I can’t get over the narrow crowded aisles. Every Wegmans I’ve been to seems like the busiest store I’ve ever been to. I just can’t enjoy shopping in a mosh pit. The only enjoyable experiences I’ve had are going late at night. 

16 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Educating their workforce contributes to the bottom line.  Sponsoring local sports teams does not.  I used to work there, couldn't get them to buy an ad in the high school program for a musical.  No way they're gonna blow millions on naming rights that won't put $1 in Danny's pocket.

How many supermarkets have spent that kind of money on employee scholarships?

What do you figure Wegmans annual advertising expenditure is? 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Publix is by far my favorite large grocery chain. Wegmans is self-serve take out joint with a few aisles of self-branded grocery items.

wow ......

3 hours ago, Big Gun said:

Labatts Stadium, nickname the Keg!

Git R Done TPegs!

love the idea.... as if Bills fans need an excuse to drink more....?

3 hours ago, teef said:

i can't get behind wegmans or dibella's subs.  they're very meh to me.  better than subway, but not a good as the mom and pop type sub/pizza places.

that's a pretty low bar you've set....says Jared

We’re finally getting a Wegman’s down here in Westchester in a couple months.  One of my old East Rochester boyos also lives nearby—pre-Covid we were planning to get up really,  really early on grand opening day to be among the first to enter.  Absolutely love Wegmans.

And I love the fact that the guy who was the night manager at the Perinton store 35 plus years ago when we were kids buying beer and then again bulk candy 3-4 hours later after consuming said beer is still working there and now managing the whole place.  Make a trip there every time I’m home....

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'll gladly refuse Wegmans and their naming rights, in order to keep them in position as the best grocery store in the USA. And I don't live in WNY. Wish the aisles were wider but they are the best in terms of about everything. Flame me, don't care. 

Hmm. I think most grocery stores are fairly similar.

10 minutes ago, MattM said:

We’re finally getting a Wegman’s down here in Westchester in a couple months.  One of my old East Rochester boyos also lives nearby—pre-Covid we were planning to get up really,  really early on grand opening day to be among the first to enter.  Absolutely love Wegmans.

And I love the fact that the guy who was the night manager at the Perinton store 35 plus years ago when we were kids buying beer and then again bulk candy 3-4 hours later after consuming said beer is still working there and now managing the whole place.  Make a trip there every time I’m home....

In Harrison.  I’m surprised it took them so long to get to WestChester.  The stores are crap there and there’s no shortage of wealthy demand.

That place will be a bigger deal than the one in Brooklyn

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In Harrison.  I’m surprised it took them so long to get to WestChester.  The stores are crap there and there’s no shortage of wealthy demand.

That place will be a bigger deal than the one in Brooklyn

I totally agree—and can’t wait.  They will eat Super Stop & Shop’s lunch, but might have more trouble with Trader Joe’s and a local upscale place called DeCicco’s that has an actual sports bar in my local store—up above the shopping floor.  I watched some March Madness there last year (back when we had sports) while my wife shopped, Homer Simpson-style.  Life doesn’t often get better than that...,.

5 hours ago, RiotAct said:

^^^^

Where are you located?  Bananas are still 49c / pound here at the stores that I go to in Western NY (Sheridan Drive and the Transit Rd Williamsville one)

Southeast PA. Admittedly I'm not in Wegmans often but I feel like every time I'm there they are .69 I'm sort of trained to look whether I'm buying them or not and I'm usually taking pictures of some sort of produce when I'm in a store.

Like I said though, if they are .49 it's because customers in the area are demanding that price point and the rest of the prices in produce are suffering for it. It doesn't cost less to get bananas in WNY than it does in the city where they unload a lot of them off the boats. In fact it probably costs significantly more when you factor transportation costs into the mix. You pay for those .49 bananas in every other item in the department.

Just now, MattM said:

I totally agree—and can’t wait.  They will eat Super Stop & Shop’s lunch, but might have more trouble with Trader Joe’s and a local upscale place called DeCicco’s that has an actual sports bar in my local store—up above the shopping floor.  I watched some March Madness there last year (back when we had sports) while my wife shopped, Homer Simpson-style.  Life doesn’t often get better than that...,.

Trader Joe’s is a very limited inventory-model supermarket.  People go there to get fancy frozen foods, otherwise it’s nothing special.

Ever been to that Stop and Shop in New Rochelle? Total dump.  

Same on Long Island.  I remember when Food Emporium was the high end market in those parts.  Wegmans would kill there as well.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trader Joe’s is a very limited inventory-model supermarket.  People go there to get fancy frozen foods, otherwise it’s nothing special.

Ever been to that Stop and Shop in New Rochelle? Total dump.  

Same on Long Island.  I remember when Food Emporium was the high end market in those parts.  Wegmans would kill there as well.

I would love to get a Wegmans in Columbus but apparently there is some clause that they can’t be in the same market as Giant Eagle. Too bad because they aren’t comparable. 

I like Trader Joe’s as a novelty place but it’s not a store I can do all my shopping. More like a place i stop at when i have to bring something to someone’s house or I want to browse for things that look good but I don’t really need. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I feel like they are victimized by their own success.  If I go at 6:00 AM it's my favorite store by a wide margin.  Since it's a great store it is always really busy making my shopping experience slow and frustrating.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hmm. I think most grocery stores are fairly similar.

They really aren't. 

Produce is often a big differentiator, as are service deli, butcher and prepared food.

Some stores have in house butchers, some don't, it makes a difference. Some have a service deli counter some are all prepacked, some have prepared food some don't some is good some is not. The center store is often similar but not the same as some stores have many fewer products and more own brands, some have 20 kinds of mustard (no joke). The meat stores get all comes from different suppliers and it can be very different quality. The produce comes from different places too and some stores are ok with having B produce on the shelf and some aren't. Some stores are really good at staffing the departments and rotating stock and keeping things fresh, some are not. They are the same in that they all sell food, yes that's true, but they all have their own differences.

I like Wegmans and Harris Teeter generally. Publix and Kroger are a little hit or miss. I hate Food Lion. Acme, Giant and Shop Rite are most of what I have locally and they are pretty much a toss up though I prefer Acme's meats.

The other thing WNY people need to realize is Wegmans outside of WNY are a little different than those in WNY. They are usually bigger and more of a destination type store than what you typically find in the WNY home market area and there are many fewer of them. I haven't been to every Wegmans in WNY but for the 3 or 4 I've been to often enough to make comment that is the case.

Edit: yes I know Kroger owns Harris Teeter now.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Haha (+1) 1