ESPN FUTURE POWER RANKINGS NEXT 3 YEARS BILLS #14

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Can you point me to your sources for that information? I'd like to look into it.

Just from Pro-Football Reference. Josh Allen's passing + rushing yards last year divided by the team's offensive yards compared to every other team's passing yards / offensive yards (not even including the QB's rushing stats for the other 31 teams). Allen comes in at 16th. I presume that at least one QB would pass him if you add in rushing yards, but it's possible he's smack dab in the middle.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Just from Pro-Football Reference. Josh Allen's passing + rushing yards last year divided by the team's offensive yards compared to every other team's passing yards / offensive yards (not even including the QB's rushing stats for the other 31 teams). Allen comes in at 16th. I presume that at least one QB would pass him if you add in rushing yards, but it's possible he's smack dab in the middle.

If he's middle of the pack I don't think you can say he accounts for less offense than most QB's. If anything that's encouraging since he was only a 2nd year QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

If he's middle of the pack I don't think you can say he accounts for less offense than most QB's. If anything that's encouraging since he was only a 2nd year QB.

Yeah, and without a full complement of offensive weapons.  But I'm still trying to locate where you find that metric on the website.

Edited by Doc

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, and without a full complement of offensive weapons.  But I'm still trying to locate where you find that metric on the website.

And sitting the final game...

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Relative to the rest of the league, he's been below average in terms of his share of the team's total offensive yards each year of his career, and he's done that on one of the worst offenses in the league during that span. He does less than most QBs and the offense he leads does less than almost all other offenses. He certainly didn't have much to work with his rookie year, and even this past season the supporting cast was probably below-average, but that doesn't change the fact that he's rarely the main reason the team wins.

Again, I don't mean to come off sounding like I hate him or anything. As I said, I liked him a lot in college and still like him a lot today. But it's simply accurate to say we've mostly relied on the defense to keep the scores down so that our bad offense has a chance at the end of games.

I hate being that guy, but in 2018 he had, possibly, the worst receiving corp in the league. An injury riddled Charles Clay was his best option.  Look at the progress he made with the addition of Beasley and Brown, two guys who were considered 2nd tier receivers, by most.  He has been credited with 6 fourth quarter comebacks, and 8 game-winning drives in his 27 starts. I realize you aren't saying he sucks, but I think you are giving him less credit than he deserves.  Just think about that Dallas game.  There was no dramatic final seconds play, but that fourth down conversion was a career defining play in my opinion. He sets a great tone for the team. He is young, a little over exuberant at times...but he is a leader

Sure, there were a few times (1st New England game, 2nd half of the playoff game) where he may have gotten a little too wound up, but I just love the energy he brings to the team. I feel like we are seeing him grow up in public, so to speak.  He was raw coming out.  . He still has to get the long ball under control...and he needs to learn to hold on to the ball better....but I think those are things he can, and will improve upon. I think part of his long-ball problem was lack of confidence in his receivers. That will come as his receivers get better. Can't wait to see him mesh with Diggs.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen has a lot to prove. Last year was mostly a good defense and a weak schedule. Allen has been given everything needed to take a giant leap this year.

The defenses they played were not overall weak.  The offenses were more so.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Herc11 said:

This is completely asinine. 

- Allen leads team to playoffs, yet is scored below avg.

- Front office has killed it in the draft last couple years and gets scored avg

All this shows is that the media continues to not do real research, which should consist of actually watching.

Agreed,  plus he had wins at Pittsburgh,  at Dallas in prime time games.  

3 hours ago, MJS said:

frequently second year qbs are so surrounded by talent that they go backwards after year 3-4

12 hours ago, Herc11 said:

So this list is supposed to project the next 3 yrs, yet several teams ranked ahead of us have ancient QB's on their last go around...

Tampa

Indy

New Orleans

Pittsburgh 

Not to mention Dallas is #5. The list is a joke, ESPN at it's finest

There are only 4 teams I feel are accurately depicted as "more likely" to be a stronger team the next three seasons based off of franchise assets and recent history: Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, and maybe the Seahawks.

After that, Buffalo is as competitive as anyone with their continued trajectory.

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not going to get my panties in a bunch but this article is wrong in their view of the Bills. They have an open Super Bowl window over the next 3 years. They aren’t a middle of the league team moving forward. They are WAY too low on Allen. They are projecting the QB situation to worsen over the next 3 years? That feels like a MASSIVE reach considering the direction he’s trending. He has 21 TDs and 2 INTs in his last 10 starts. We are supposed to believe that this raw prospect, with massive talent, on a big upward trajectory, will suddenly fall of a cliff? That’s the expectation? That’s just bad

Yup.  I really think it’s a matter of folks continuing to hang onto pre-draft evaluations and looking only at QB statistics like completion % and QBR.  It’s a shame because everything you said is true.  I’ve said numerous times that nothing about how Josh has progressed suggests he has plateaued or will not continue to improve.  Nothing.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, MJS said:

I didn't want to track down every starting QB's individual numbers, but if one QB ran for enough yards to pass Allen, then the statement of accounting for less of his team's offensive yards than most other starting QBs is true.

12 hours ago, Doc said:

The yardage numbers are on Pro-Football-Reference. Some math is required.

Some of you are so sensitive.  We are the 2018 Bears.  Qb was the far from the reason we won games.  They ranked us as a top 10 roster with a top 10 coach.  If Allen was Newton or Jackson (MVPs who this board thinks are overrated), some posters would say he was a good athlete playing qb.  Is it really that shocking that more non Bills fans aren’t sold on a guy who has completed 56.3% of passes and averages 184.4 passing yards per game after completing 56% of passes at Wyoming?  He would be trashed if he was on another team.  Some of you trash MVPs.  

the bright side to this is if Allen does take the next step, the sky is the limit.  But right now, he is the weak point on a very strong team.  But hopefully, the excuses are done for the highest drafted qb in franchise history.  Is he Brady, Wilson, or Big Ben or Bortles, Sanchez, Tribusky?  

7 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Not to mention Dallas is #5. The list is a joke, ESPN at it's finest

❄️ 

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Agreed,  plus he had wins at Pittsburgh,  at Dallas in prime time games.  

See this is the part where QBs get way too much credit.  He was very solid to good against Dallas who proved to be frauds (maybe his Best all around game given it was in a prime time).  But seriously with Pittsburgh??? He 13-25 for 139 yards, 1 td, 1 int, and 1 rushing td.   Defense and Duck were the main reasons for that win. 

12 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think the issue is rushing isn’t a substantial thing for a qb. Too risky.  You need to win with your arm long term.  Look at Cam Newton.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

It’s funny how the first line was there is no more excuses for Allen! Huh I didn’t think he was that bad lol 

I know Allen still has some work to do  , BUT I think he  showed enough last year to make me believe that we have our QB for the next decade ... 

22 minutes ago, eball said:

Yup.  I really think it’s a matter of folks continuing to hang onto pre-draft evaluations and looking only at QB statistics like completion % and QBR.  It’s a shame because everything you said is true.  I’ve said numerous times that nothing about how Josh has progressed suggests he has plateaued or will not continue to improve.  Nothing.

But, but that lateral........now that was a sign.    I know that seeing Josh run for 20 yards or so to get to + territory  with a minute or so to go, spit that ball in the air and then watch it bound around on the turf was the closest I have come to cardiac arrest.  Good thing it lasted all of 2 seconds or so.  If I had died I'd consider it a definite sign of Josh having plateaued. 

On a serious note, watch Knox on that play.  He hangs near the boundary and lags behind without attempting to get ahead to make a block.  It looks to me like that pitch was a poorly executed but planned, likely practiced play.  Josh put it where he thought Dawson was but Knox had closed much closer while Josh was being tackled.  Even Josh's pitches are over thrown.  Hah!  Just my hot take.  

20 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

To project which NFL franchises are in the best shape for the next three seasons, we asked our panel of experts -- Jeremy Fowler, Louis Riddick, Seth Walder and Field Yates -- to rate each team's quarterback, remaining (non-QB) roster, draft, front office and coaching using this scale:

• 100: A+ (Elite)

• 90: A (Great)

• 80: B (Very good)

• 70: C (Average)

• 60: D (Very bad)

• 50 and below: F (Disastrous)

After averaging the results from the panelists, each of the five categories was weighted to create the overall score -- roster (30%), quarterback (20%), draft (15%), front office (15%) and coaching (20%). The result is a comprehensive ranking based on how well each team is positioned for the future.

14. Buffalo Bills
Overall score: 79.3

r656790_608x342_16-9.jpg

CATEGORY SCORE NFL
RANK
Overall roster (minus QB) 83.8 6
Quarterback 69.3 26
Coaching 83.8 9
Draft 74.0 20
Front office 83.0 7

Why they're here: Buffalo's nasty defense isn't going anywhere, and it plays under excellent leadership in coach Sean McDermott and assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. GM Brandon Beane has attacked all layers of team building: major trades (Stefon Diggs), lucrative free-agent deals (Mitch Morse), value additions (there are many) plus a solid drafted nucleus. Josh Allen is the key for this team's rise. -- Yates

Biggest worry: There are no more excuses for Allen. The front office acquired a legit No. 1 WR in Diggs, bolstered the rushing attack with the drafting of Zack Moss in the third round, and have an under-the-radar superstar in second-year TE Dawson Knox. In a division no longer inhabited by Tom Brady, Allen must deliver. I have my doubts. -- Riddick

Looking ahead: It's great that Allen has speedy weapons, but Buffalo's top three receivers are 6-foot or below, which isn't ideal for a quarterback who battles accuracy issues. Add a big-bodied receiver for balance, and another tight end alongside Knox for catch-radius purposes, similar to Lamar Jackson's setup in Baltimore last year: think wider targets. Otherwise, the Bills' roster is primed for playoff runs over the next three years. The defense is wildly underrated. -- Fowler

Top stat to know: Allen's 2019 was somewhat of a mirage: In reality, he ranked just 24th in Total QBR. Buffalo has a strong roster, a good coach and a sharp front office. But for the Bills to go on a deep run over the next few years, all three of those areas have to be perfect to compensate for Allen's weaknesses. It can be done, but it won't be easy. -- Walder

I always take ESPN ranking with a grain of salt as they usually like to troll Bills fans for clickbait most of their analysts honestly have no clue what they’re talking about especially Louis Riddick and Field Yates