ESPN FUTURE POWER RANKINGS NEXT 3 YEARS BILLS #14

In the AFC, I’m game for top 3 with the Ravens and Chiefs, and honorable mentions to Pittsburgh and Denver, but over 3 years, huh?   Beane has done nothing but make this team better with each year.  Lots of competition on the NFC side, but does that really matter.  You can make a good argument on TN, as they have a good team, and RT might repeat for a good season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

So let me get this straight, Josh was drafted as needing some time to develop, was supposed to sit Season 1 yet played with a below average supporting cast, improved and helped lead his team to the playoffs in his second year, but now Season 3 (in a COVID environment) is his make or break year?  SMH

Take it a step further, the expectation is regression.  They have the Bills QB situation is 26th. The anticipation is that over the next 3 years he goes backwards.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not going to get my panties in a bunch but this article is wrong in their view of the Bills. They have an open Super Bowl window over the next 3 years. They aren’t a middle of the league team moving forward. They are WAY too low on Allen. They are projecting the QB situation to worsen over the next 3 years? That feels like a MASSIVE reach considering the direction he’s trending. He has 21 TDs and 2 INTs in his last 10 starts. We are supposed to believe that this raw prospect, with massive talent, on a big upward trajectory, will suddenly fall of a cliff? That’s the expectation? That’s just bad

I have re-watched the first 14 games of the 2019 season over the last 3 weeks.  I get it that Allen still has room for improvement, but he was pretty great for more games than not this past season. I just don't think these national guys are actually watching him play.  If he shows the same kind of growth in season three, that he showed from season one and two, the Bills have their franchise guy.  As someone who wasn't crazy about him coming out of college, I am so glad they had to "settle" for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I have re-watched the first 14 games of the 2019 season over the last 3 weeks.  I get it that Allen still has room for improvement, but he was pretty great for more games than not this past season. I just don't think these national guys are actually watching him play.  If he shows the same kind of growth in season three, that he showed from season one and two, the Bills have their franchise guy.  As someone who wasn't crazy about him coming out of college, I am so glad they had to "settle" for him.

Honestly, he showed a lot his rookie year as well. The stats are definately deceiving. You have to watch Allen play to get a true understanding of him. That's why Bills fans are excited. We know what bad QB's look like more than any other fans. It's clear Allen isn't one of them. He'll be the Bills QB for a long time I think. The question is how good he can actually be.

• Like (+1) 1

Those interceptions in the NE game. He looks to run and gets hit a lot. He also overthrows his deep ball to avoid sacks. McD is defense. Daboll screamed at Allen on the sidelines. That backwards lateral in the playoff game, something people who take the game seriously just do not do.

What's missing is a play no one in the NFL can stop, an offensive identity. Right now that's just run down the field like you are Eddie George. It takes years to develop a QB, even the best ones.

Edited by beavis

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Honestly, he showed a lot his rookie year as well. The stats are definately deceiving. You have to watch Allen play to get a true understanding of him. That's why Bills fans are excited. We know what bad QB's look like more than any other fans. It's clear Allen isn't one of them. He'll be the Bills QB for a long time I think. The question is how good he can actually be.

On the flipside, we don't really know what good QB play looks like outside of watching Tom Brady against us for the past 20 some odd years. I'm still kinda torn on Allen personally. I liked him a lot when he was playing for Wyoming and was very excited when we drafted him (though I preferred Lamar at the time). At this point, Allen generally avoids making back-breaking mistakes that some of our past QBs like Fitzpatrick and Losman for example made too often. He certainly shows flashes of greatness. But overall, he's very rarely the reason that we win games, which isn't totally his fault but he has had some opportunities. With the defense that we have, they are generally the reason that we win games, and Allen essentially just has to not screw it up.

I'm hoping that if we have a season this year, we'll see him step into the limelight more and more often be the main reason we win. But through two years, he and the rest of the offense simply haven't carried the same weight that the defense has. I suspect that's part of what the national football people are waiting to see as well. Many other young QBs have shown more in that regard, but as is generally the case, they've shown lower lows due to being relied upon more as well.

He's shown enough IMO to warrant picking up his 5th year option barring some sort of catastrophic season, but I wouldn't currently feel comfortable giving him a long-term top 10 QB contract like he'll likely be aiming for until he shows us more.

Yet another make believe ranking. This is just as useful as PFF ranking teams on things that never happened. Both share at least one thing in common, they are meaningless.  And we all know damn well there are only two rankings that means a damn thing,  the win/loss ranking, and did you make the post season, everything else just doesn’t matter very much. Unless of course your the cowboys and no matter how mediocre your season is your a great team, blah blah blah, I guess all those years the Bills were 9-7 they were a great team too...

Go Bills!!!

49 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

On the flipside, we don't really know what good QB play looks like outside of watching Tom Brady against us for the past 20 some odd years. I'm still kinda torn on Allen personally. I liked him a lot when he was playing for Wyoming and was very excited when we drafted him (though I preferred Lamar at the time). At this point, Allen generally avoids making back-breaking mistakes that some of our past QBs like Fitzpatrick and Losman for example made too often. He certainly shows flashes of greatness. But overall, he's very rarely the reason that we win games, which isn't totally his fault but he has had some opportunities. With the defense that we have, they are generally the reason that we win games, and Allen essentially just has to not screw it up.

I'm hoping that if we have a season this year, we'll see him step into the limelight more and more often be the main reason we win. But through two years, he and the rest of the offense simply haven't carried the same weight that the defense has. I suspect that's part of what the national football people are waiting to see as well. Many other young QBs have shown more in that regard, but as is generally the case, they've shown lower lows due to being relied upon more as well.

He's shown enough IMO to warrant picking up his 5th year option barring some sort of catastrophic season, but I wouldn't currently feel comfortable giving him a long-term top 10 QB contract like he'll likely be aiming for until he shows us more.

We watched plenty of good QB's vs the Bills over the years, including the GOAT Tom Brady.

And I disagree that he is rarely the reason we win games. I think he has been the entire offense the past two years (except John Brown last year) and often THE reason our poor offense produces any points at all, especially considering all his rushing TD's which puts him in the realm of elite RB scoring.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

We watched plenty of good QB's vs the Bills over the years, including the GOAT Tom Brady.

And I disagree that he is rarely the reason we win games. I think he has been the entire offense the past two years (except John Brown last year) and often THE reason our poor offense produces any points at all, especially considering all his rushing TD's which puts him in the realm of elite RB scoring.

Relative to the rest of the league, he's been below average in terms of his share of the team's total offensive yards each year of his career, and he's done that on one of the worst offenses in the league during that span. He does less than most QBs and the offense he leads does less than almost all other offenses. He certainly didn't have much to work with his rookie year, and even this past season the supporting cast was probably below-average, but that doesn't change the fact that he's rarely the main reason the team wins.

Again, I don't mean to come off sounding like I hate him or anything. As I said, I liked him a lot in college and still like him a lot today. But it's simply accurate to say we've mostly relied on the defense to keep the scores down so that our bad offense has a chance at the end of games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

This board is going to be very interesting if Allen fails to take the next step.

He wasn’t my guy coming out. Admittedly I’m higher on him than most at this point. At the same time I don’t take issue with anyone that believes that he still has a lot to prove. I don’t even take issue with anyone that thinks he’s never going to be better than now (although I don’t agree). I take issue with the thought that the Bills have the 26th best QB situation over the next 3 years. Again he has 21 TDs and 2 INTs over his last 10 starts. He’s a top 20ish QB now. I can’t wrap my head around the thought that he will suddenly fall off a cliff.

Here’s the thing with Josh that the national people don’t know because they don’t watch enough. He was a low floor and high ceiling guy coming out. His ceiling is still sky high but his floor moved from low to mid-tier starting QB. If he doesn’t get ANY better he is an okay starting QB right now. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Relative to the rest of the league, he's been below average in terms of his share of the team's total offensive yards each year of his career, and he's done that on one of the worst offenses in the league during that span. He does less than most QBs and the offense he leads does less than almost all other offenses. He certainly didn't have much to work with his rookie year, and even this past season the supporting cast was probably below-average, but that doesn't change the fact that he's rarely the main reason the team wins.

Again, I don't mean to come off sounding like I hate him or anything. As I said, I liked him a lot in college and still like him a lot today. But it's simply accurate to say we've mostly relied on the defense to keep the scores down so that our bad offense has a chance at the end of games.

Can you point me to your sources for that information? I'd like to look into it.