Sign in to follow this  
Miyagi-Do Karate

Stephon Gilmore— are QBs worried about him?

Because we all know Gilmore from his time here, in my mind, at least, there’s less of a “fear factor” when we play the Pats and he is on the other side.

For example, I remember this sense of dread when we would play against DBs like Revis, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, Polamalu, and even more recent guys like Jalen Ramsey and Richard Sherman. If the ball went anywhere near them, I would hold my breath. Not so for Gilmore. I don’t mind seeing us challenge him. 

I was wondering what others’ views are. Do QBs “fear” Gilmore like they do other ball-hawking or elite DBs? 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Because we all know Gilmore from his time here, in my mind, at least, there’s less of a “fear factor” when we play the Pats and he is on the other side.

For example, I remember this sense of dread when we would play against DBs like Revis, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, Polamalu, and even more recent guys like Jalen Ramsey and Richard Sherman. If the ball went anywhere near them, I would hold my breath. Not so for Gilmore. I don’t mind seeing us challenge him. 

I was wondering what others’ views are. Do QBs “fear” Gilmore like they do other ball-hawking or elite DBs? 

No reason why they shouldn't have a very healthy respect for him. He's arguably the top CB in the league and the fact that some Bills fans don't like him wouldn't change that.

• Like (+1) 9

Not Fitz.  How he won DPOTY after that disastrous season-ender where he single-handedly lost the Cheaters HFA is beyond me.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Confused 1

He is really good.  Better than he was during his time in Buffalo...the talent around him, and the coaching scheme, no doubt, play into that.  That said, no corner is going to shut everything down. I think Tre'davious White is outstanding (as most here do, no doubt) but he had some pretty shaky stretches this past season, particularly early on.  It happens.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he effectively takes certain types of WRs out of the game. Certainly not even on the radar as a perennial int machine like some of the former great. 

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not Fitz.  How he won DPOTY after that disastrous season-ender where he single-handedly lost the Cheaters HFA is beyond me.

He did what now?

Look I’m all for bashing Pats******, but what exactly are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 2

The majority of Bills' fans horribly underrated him. For that, I hope him the best, as he is a dime and was always a great player for Buffalo. Funniest part about it, the majority of fans couldn't see how good he was. Shows ya what they know. 

What's worse is that they make up like 90% of the conversation volume. 

ki7F73qMI7238_VB3t1r4Y8Yw_5bwYdW5OtJdhF5

• Like (+1) 4
  • Meh 1
  • Skeptical 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Paulus said:

The majority of Bills' fans horribly underrated him. For that, I hope him the best, as he is a dime and was always a great player for Buffalo. Funniest part about it, the majority of fans couldn't see how good he was. Shows ya what they know. 

You sound very confident.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Just sad and aware...

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

he's the best or second best at his position and we have a thread about whether you worry going against him.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He did what now?

Look I’m all for bashing Pats******, but what exactly are you talking about?

He got abused in that season-ender.  They win that game, they have HFA throughout the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Paulus said:

He's the same player he was in Buffalo.  He's just able to get away with things he couldn't before and QBs are always skittish when they play a Belicheat defense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He got abused in that season-ender.  They win that game, they have HFA throughout the playoffs.

He's the same player he was in Buffalo.  He's just able to get away with things he couldn't before and QBs are always skittish when they play a Belicheat defense. 

Yup. The rest is bologna, as that has nothing to do with my point.

All-Pro. Think about how awesome Tre is. I hope they don't let him go...

Gilmore was a favorite whipping boy over at BBMB, but I think he has been the same player he has always been.

He just gets more recognition because he is on the Pats. Pretty simple.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Skeptical 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Gilmore was a favorite whipping boy over at BBMB, but I think he has been the same player he has always been.

Yuuuuuupp...

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Yup. The rest is bologna, as that has nothing to do with my point.

All-Pro. Think about how awesome Tre is. I hope they don't let him go...

Hardly bologna.  As I've said it before, Belicheat can make DBs look better.  How many have made the Pro Bowl there only to do nothing after signing a big deal with their new team?  Like that guy who won the Seattle SB whose name still escapes me.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

You can get recognition in Buffalo.  Tre was 1st team All-Pro with the Bills, something Gilmore didn't achieve until he hooked-up with Belicheat. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

F no!!! He's garbage and only is "good" because he holds then when he's roasted he points fingers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1
  • Confused 1

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, Singletary, Gilmore can’t cover em all. Let him lock down one side or follow Diggs around, there’s plenty of options to feed 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

He didn't even want to tackle as a Bill.

No, he was NOT the same player here as he is in NE. but let's pretend that he was. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I see why you are saying and I don’t believe he’s in the same category as the players you mentioned.  IMO he does benefit from playing on a very wel-coached and well-schemed defense that plays into his strength 

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I see why you are saying and I don’t believe he’s in the same category as the players you mentioned.  IMO he does benefit from playing on a very wel-coached and well-schemed defense that plays into his strength 

That is where I am at. I will admit I really disliked Gilmore by the end of his time here. But BB has coached him up and put him in a position to succeed. He obviously had a great year last year. 

that said, no one really is scared of him. I found this on PFF just now, which kind of proves my point:

“Gilmore was targeted a staggering 96 times (only six other corners have been targeted more).”