NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

1 hour ago, Doc said:

So they have every incentive to not only play, but abide by the rules to help prevent themselves from getting infected.  Again I don't hear any players talking about what they need to do to create the safest environment possible.  And up until now, none of them have been living in a "bubble."

I don't disagree with you.  Our soldiers have done tours in Iraq or Afghanistan where they don't see their families for 15 months.  It just seems like that option's off the table though for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't disagree with you.  Our soldiers have done tours in Iraq or Afghanistan where they don't see their families for 15 months.  It just seems like that option's off the table though for whatever reason.

The thing is, they can have their wives, GFs, even their side pieces, in a bubble.  Deployed soldiers cannot (well, they can get a piece on the side while being deployed).

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

The thing is, they can have their wives, GFs, even their side pieces, in a bubble.  Deployed soldiers cannot (well, they can get a piece on the side while being deployed).

15 dollas

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Yes. How many corner kicks in a game. EVERY play in football is worse than a corner kick. 

According to Google
134 - 168 plays in an average NFL game (67 - 84 plays per Offense in an average NFL game)
10 - 11 Corner kicks in an average EPL match

Also, the EPL only needed to jam in 8 matches to finish a season.  The NFL is looking at starting a season and getting 18 games in pre playoffs (assuming 2 pre-season).

Every NFL play definitely has more in your face contact than a soccer match.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

15 dollas

?

1 minute ago, driddles said:

According to Google
134 - 168 plays in an average NFL game (67 - 84 plays per Offense in an average NFL game)

Also, the EPL only needed to jam in 8 matches to finish a season.  The NFL is looking at starting a season and getting 18 games in pre playoffs (assuming 2 pre-season).

The NFL played just 9 games in 1982.

Edited by Doc

26 minutes ago, driddles said:

According to Google

Another big difference is that the EPL only had six players (out ot 748) tested positive on the restart and 10 in the Bundesliga.  The NBA on the other hand had about 5% tested positive,

Edited by Billy Claude
fixed numbers

21 minutes ago, driddles said:

According to Google

If you’re exposed, you’re exposed.. Doesn’t matter if it’s 10-12 times in a game or 60+.  

The good news for NFL players is the league can retrofit a helmet for them.  Oh, wait, vocal players said they wouldn’t play in them.  

Soccer/Basketball players are completely exposed.  

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

If Russel Wilson is concerned about his pregnant wife's health, why doesn't he rent an apartment to live in and hire a nurse to stay with his wife?  Goodness knows he can afford it.

So can she.  But if he wants to sit out...

• Like (+1) 1

According to the linked article in the main article a plan for testing etc was given to the teams that was agreed to by the NFLPA two weeks ago in an article dated 7/6.

The NFL has laid out protocol for some of the testing and treatment procedures of the coronavirus. Commissioner Roger Goodell sent teams a one-page memo and 40-page protocol document to explain the details of the program, which was developed in partnership with the NFL Players Association. USA TODAY Sports obtained a copy of the memo. 

ttps://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/07/06/nfl-training-camps-coronavirus-covid-19-protocol/5385276002/

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

one might think that a tour in Iraq and some guys playing a game for our entertainment are different things 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

You realize 32% of the country wasn't able to pay July rent/mortgages fully right? Might not be the best line of argument you're taking here.

Anyway, this is entertainment in the end, and there is a reason the arena league doesn't draw the same fans as the nfl...you put the best players in the world in the arena league it will be the most popular sport on tv.

This billion dollar league is absolutely a function of the players, don't for a second think differently.  They could all go on strike tomorrow and start their own league the next day, cut out the owners and make absolute bank...like serious life changing money across all segments of the roster.

You think every other person in this country is able to do the same thing? Come on now, some random dude pushing a piece of paper or an email from an inbox to an outbox or laying a foundation for a building are not irreplaceable...even the best is not someone who is at a level of .01% of the population or whatever and what makes them that valuable isn't untrainable (sorry, you can't teach 4.3)

Sorry but I've watch some of the worst players in football for a 17 year stretch.  I still supported and rooted for them because they were Buffalo Bills.  You must be one of those fair weather fans or you would realize this.  I didn't become a Patriots Fan now did I?  You can have replacement players and it's still the NFL.  You wouldn't have replacement teams be successful.

The richest NFL players couldn't pay the power bill.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

one might think that a tour in Iraq and some guys playing a game for our entertainment are different things 

If we’re talking college, where the players aren’t paid, that’s one thing... but this is big business.  

They should never be forced to play, of course, but the bubble concept isn’t as hardcore as some are saying and it’s simply an inconvenience.  Ciara can likely join Russell Wilson in his teams bubble, I haven’t heard anyone state family can’t do that.  

If they keep turning down reasonable recommendations (bubble, helmets) and still want to be paid in full if the season isn’t a go, why should we believe they’re negotiating in good faith?   We now found out that all 32 teams have submitted plans that were approved by infectious disease experts. 

And, sure, it’s just a game, a game that generates massive revenues, creates a ton of jobs, drives local economies and, yes, has an entire entertainment/betting component.   

You can reduce most white collar jobs to a “just a game” as well.  Just instead of playing football for pay, we day-trade, financial plan, sell a product, sit on a board of such and such..  Unless you’re a civil servant of some sort... nobody “needs” us to play, advise, sell for any reason other than to drive the economy. 

Edited by SCBills

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yes, the guys playing a game for our entertainment get infinitely more monetary compensation.  

For a million dollars I would volunteer right now to spend the next 6 months "deployed" with almost zero risk of death or serious injury and the adoration of people I dont know.  

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

.....and, some guys knew what they were signing up for. 

There is no winning with this issue. It sucks. 

7 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

A job action to stop the preseason and camp should cancel the season imho.  I attended games back in the 80's after the strike, and, they came in with one week of practice.  Worst pro game I ever saw, sloppy execution, out of shape players.  But, the vets think they can do it.  Experience tells me otherwise.  If the preseason and camps are canceled, you will see the worst display of football ever seen in week one.

We're Bills fans. Sloppy execution and out of shape players is all we know. 

14 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

yes, the guys playing a game for our entertainment get infinitely more monetary compensation.  

For a million dollars I would volunteer right now to spend the next 6 months "deployed" with almost zero risk of death or serious injury and the adoration of people I dont know.  

That’s nice joe. I’m glad to know that about you.

If you had 100m already and your wife was pregnant might you feel differently?

10 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Well great, if some guys don’t want to play maybe they’ll call you up. About .09% of HS football players make it to the NFL. These guys aren’t just replaceable with the next guy. The players ARE the league. That’s true in all sports. The labor force doubles as your assets. The players know this. If Russell Wilson is worried about his family the league isn’t saying, “no problem we’ll roll with Joe in Hampton Roads.” The league’s revenue is dependent on the players. 

As a side plea to EVERYONE can we stop comparing our jobs to theirs? These are HIGHLY skilled professionals that can’t just be replaced. Their job is different than our jobs as mailmen, insurance sales people, waiters, etc... We are easily replaced. Our companies to not lose millions of dollars if we don’t work. Their business does. It’s apples and oranges.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1