NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Cool.   Sit out and don’t get paid.  

If they’re worried about their health (and they have every right to be), simply offer to forego pay and stay home with your family. 

....As is the case for every other person in this country.  

This isn’t going to end well for players perception if this is the route they choose while not offering to forego pay.  I doubt the public has an appetite to feel bad for Russell Wilson tweeting out about his safety when he makes millions upon millions per year as they go to work every day at grocery stores, restaurants, hospitals, small businesses that are barely getting by etc.. 

They have contracts.  Should teams be able to essentially terminate their contracts unilaterally by failing to provide a safe working environment?  The players are millionaires, but the owners are billionaires.  Should the public sympathize more with the old billionaires than the players who actually do the work and put their bodies on the line?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Then maybe you should read the rest of my post. A bubble for 6 months is not realistic when you consider the number of people that would have to be kept in that bubble. It isn't just the players. It's everyone else involved with the game too.

Why is a bubble for that time period not realistic?  

You can have protocols for people outside the bubble coming in and people in the bubble leaving, just like the NBA does.   Each team would have their own bubble, as opposed to the NBA all under one.  

It also may not even be necessary for the entire duration of the NFL season, should we get therapeutic advancements.  

Edited by SCBills

27 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What is the NFL’s plan? I can’t really find many specifics online. 

Maybe that’s because they’ve chosen not to publish it online.  How many other large businesses have published their plans publicly?

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I'll take the bet that not one does.

Well, Richie Incognito is back in the league. I was was given a TO (temporarily banned) because of me defending myself against the haters on here. My post was also locked by the mod, as the suggestion was too off the rails. The NFL does have the money to prevent it, but people are people. We'll see, is all I have to say to you. Id have to see the schedules, locations, and nirmal information which would be available to us, before I wager, tbh.

15 minutes ago, Billl said:

They have contracts.  Should teams be able to essentially terminate their contracts unilaterally by failing to provide a safe working environment?  The players are millionaires, but the owners are billionaires.  Should the public sympathize more with the old billionaires than the players who actually do the work and put their bodies on the line?

No one is terminating any contracts...what are you talking about?

58 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

A job action to stop the preseason and camp should cancel the season imho.  I attended games back in the 80's after the strike, and, they came in with one week of practice.  Worst pro game I ever saw, sloppy execution, out of shape players.  But, the vets think they can do it.  Experience tells me otherwise.  If the preseason and camps are canceled, you will see the worst display of football ever seen in week one.

To be fair the training and offseason prep difference between 1980 and 2020 is the difference between a Kia and a Ferrari. The game may not be pretty coming off this break but it’s an entirely different world now. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, I understand.  I also understand that the players openly opposed a “bubble” strategy.   

Reality is, there’s zero way to ensure safety in a pandemic with no vaccine available.  

A “bubble” is the next best thing.  

If that is not an option for the players, everything else will look like a s**tshow, because that’s exactly what it is.  

If they play, without a bubble, some players will get with COVID.... there’s no way around it in the current environment. 

Every other league is getting back to playing - MLS, MLB, NBA etc.. 

It comes down to the same question many other Americans are having to deal with... Stay home, or accept inherent risk.  

I have zero issue with the players pushing for safety protocols,  but when they don’t seem willing to give up money and already opposed a “bubble”, it’s a bit difficult to take them 100% seriously. 

What about baseball? How are they able to do it? They have a lot more traveling going on albeit with a smaller group. There should be universal protocols in place. They should be standardized across the league. Your argument, to this point, is “if no bubble, nothing will work.” That may or may not be true but there should be alternative options in place. Throwing your hands up and saying “it is what it is” isn’t going to fly with the players. They’ve made that clear. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

50 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not betting on somebody possibly dying during a pandemic (I'm just not that type of person)....unless I'm getting at least 3 to 1 odds minimum.

Doc, you have one warped sense of humor (I love BTW).  The people I most worry about who still will be working are the trainers, weight training coaches, assistants, other older employees, and yes, the O Lineman who some have very high BMI’s.  As much as I hate the Darth Vader of the NFL, Belicheck and Carroll who I don’t mind when he’s not talking with gum in his mouth are both in their late 60’s.  These are the guys who are definitely at risk.  How many assistants are older than 65?

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why is a bubble for that time period not realistic?  

You can have protocols for people outside the bubble coming in and people in the bubble leaving, just like the NBA does.   Each team would have their own bubble, as opposed to the NBA all under one.  

It also may not even be necessary for the entire duration of the NFL season, should we get therapeutic advancements.  

it’s not unrealistic.  Before the rookie accuses me of not making $, by some standards I’ve done very well the last 20 years in management, but if I can work, but need to be in a bubble to do it and at bare minimum I make $450,000 (I think that is the minimum for salaries) upwards of many millions, Id do it.  Soldiers get deployed, undersea welders make a handsome living in dangerous conditions, but they can work like an NFL player 7 months on a rig, before coming home to their families and not working for 5. It’s not unthinkable, it’s just these players, not all want $, but they want the luxury of not working.  It, meaning the world doesn’t work that way.  Work, get paid, don’t work, don’t get paid.  Pretty damn simple to me.

I absolutely want players and everyone else to make a decision.  Either one is fine with me, but you don’t get to have you’re cake and eat it too as my mom used to say.  Never really understood that old phrase, but you guys get it.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Billl said:

You’d be surprised how many fans side with the ownership over literally any issue. I don’t get it either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, driddles said:

The players are ticked, so we can safely assume that the NFL didn't have multiple solid plans for how to proceed in different scenarios.  Was the NFL plan on par with 'It'll all be done by the time we start, let's not have a plan'?  This can't be possible in a billion dollar sport.  Can it?

Looks like delay in test results could do in all the major sports.  How can you have a plan of testing every couple days if it takes 5 to 6 days for results?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Maybe this will be another scab season.

Like I've been saying, think of this as at-worst a strike season.

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

it’s not unrealistic.  Before the rookie accuses me of not making $, by some standards I’ve done very well the last 20 years in management, but if I can work, but need to be in a bubble to do it and at bare minimum I make $450,000 (I think that is the minimum for salaries) upwards of many millions, Id do it.  Soldiers get deployed, undersea welders make a handsome living in dangerous conditions, but they can work like an NFL player 7 months on a rig, before coming home to their families and not working for 5. It’s not unthinkable, it’s just these players, not all want $, but they want the luxury of not working.  It, meaning the world doesn’t work that way.  Work, get paid, don’t work, don’t get paid.  Pretty damn simple to me.

I absolutely want players and everyone else to make a decision.  Either one is fine with me, but you don’t get to have you’re cake and eat it too as my mom used to say.  Never really understood that old phrase, but you guys get it.

This.  If you have to be away from family members, you can find a way to make it work just like others do.  My cousin-in-law has been deployed 3 times with my cousin having 2-4 small children to care for, on a minimal income (albeit with help from family and friends).  If you think it's too much of a bother +/- think you won't be able to abide by the rules, sit out the season but don't expect to be paid.  We want everyone to be as safe as possible.

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Looks like delay in test results could do in all the major sports.  How can you have a plan of testing every couple days if it takes 5 to 6 days for results?

Where does it say it will take 5-6 days to get results back?  Again B-D has a test with results in 15 minutes and the one we use has a 4-hour turnaround.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well said Doc, and even Quest  can get a result in one day as reported for what they call Priority One patients, whether that is a healthcare worker at risk or an at risk patient.

Im not purporting for a bubble, but it is possible if wanted bad enough by all sides.

Yup.  By now everyone knows what they should and shouldn't be doing based on the most current recommendations.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how almost every one of those Tweets uses the same words/phrases. It’s like they were given four or five catch phrases and told to send the message out. Must be a coincidence. 

i wanna see Football obviously.. but call their bluff. let them lose the money

Edited by dwight in philly