NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

The NFL should immediately drop everything and plan for some kind of bubble situation.  No sport is probably more studio-ready than the NFL.  Fans are a pipe-dream at this point, and they could guarantee a full schedule on television and do a lot of cool things.  I could already see the HBO series "Under the Bubble"

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The NFL should immediately drop everything and plan for some kind of bubble situation.  No sport is probably more studio-ready than the NFL.  Fans are a pipe-dream at this point, and they could guarantee a full schedule on television and do a lot of cool things.  I could already see the HBO series "Under the Bubble"

Except the players already shot down the bubble idea. It would take MONTHS to put that together too. That just isn’t happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't think there is any scenario this season happens without a bubble, and that ship has sailed. 

The scenario in which this season happens is the country re-flattens the curve on a nationwide level. Until that happens, a nationwide sports league that kicks off a month before flu season starts is bound to start and not finish.

• Like (+1) 3

It sounds like a lot of players are talking about not showing up until there are some answers. Just a pre-emptive voice before an official NFLPA stance. At this point I do not see how the season starts on time and runs in full. It seems to make the most sense to delay the start of the season. 

13 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

The scenario in which this season happens is the country re-flattens the curve on a nationwide level. Until that happens, a nationwide sports league that kicks off a month before flu season starts is bound to start and not finish.

Correct. This isnt a "League issue" as much as it is a Country issue. Had Americans just taken this seriously from the start, we'd have a season. But that didnt happen, so here we are.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Correct. This isnt a "League issue" as much as it is a Country issue. Had Americans just taken this seriously from the start, we'd have a season. But that didnt happen, so here we are.

Ironically, many of those that are going to be the most vocally angry about the NFL having to cancel its seasons are the very people who helped put is into this situation to begin with by refusing to listen to common sense and science.

You want football? Wear a mask. It's that simple. It's BEEN that simple from the start, but too many people just can't get it through their thick skulls.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

1.  You assumed, without basis in fact, that none of the players has lived in a bubble.  I pointed that out.  At this point there are probably about 2,500 players under contract, and I suspect that the odds are that at least one of them has practiced safe quarantining habits akin to bubble living.   In any event, there is no reason to assume that none of them has lived that way for the purpose of protecting self/immediate family/loved one. 

2.  There is a difference between "can't" and "won't."  The concern probably is greatest with respect to the players who "won't" abide by social distancing/masking/isolation rules, which, in the context of a contact sport that requires participation at least four days per week, threatens those who follow the "rules."   To this end Lorenzo Alexander's point is a good one.  The league should test every day.  It's the only way to protect all players from the ones who decide to hit the bar or the beach on off night and come to work a few days before limited testing would be conducted. 

1.  Just because you suspect something, it doesn't make it fact either.  And as I said, if a player has been living in a a bubble, he isn't the one who will have a problem with living in another one.  It's the ones who weren't that likely will.  

2.  Yes, this is all about those who won't because they all can.  Which makes it even more incumbent upon players to police others who are breaking the rules.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Ironically, many of those that are going to be the most vocally angry about the NFL having to cancel its seasons are the very people who helped put is into this situation to begin with by refusing to listen to common sense and science.

You want football? Wear a mask. It's that simple. It's BEEN that simple from the start, but too many people just can't get it through their thick skulls.

I said back in March that the PSA campaign should have targeted a "If you want Football, then... (wear masks/social distance/etc)" message. It's the one thing most folks down here in the trouble spots take seriously. Especially college ball.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I said back in March that the PSA campaign should have targeted a "If you want Football, then... (wear masks/social distance/etc)" message. It's the one thing most folks down here in the trouble spots take seriously. Especially college ball.

UGA alone might have challenged Harvards endowment size if they sold commemorative  UGA face masks and begged fans to wear them so we could have football on schedule! 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

Ha Ha - and the folks calling for the players to "suck it up and live in a bubble for six months" are likely the very same ones who refuse to wear a mask to the grocery store.

Go figure. It's almost as if there were a double standard or something...

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

UGA alone might have challenged Harvards endowment size if they sold commemorative  UGA face masks and begged fans to wear them so we could have football on schedule! 

Everyone dropped the ball on the marketing and revenue money that could have been generated with masks. Trump could have been making a KILLING selling #KAG masks this whole time.

1 hour ago, eball said:

This is a farcical statement.  Of course the NFL has been planning; do you have no concept of the sheer enormity of what they have to deal with?  The players’ concerns are legitimate and this will be worked out.

Assuming this hasn't been determined, part of me feels like a big sticking point for players is what happens to a player who decides to opt-out of playing for health concerns.

What happens if Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady* or Lamar Jackson or Gronk* or Drew Brees decide their (fill-in-the-blank reason...pregnant wives, children, etc.) are more important than playing this season? 

Does the NFL really want ten prime time games with Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert under center? I'm gonna say no. I can see the NFL sitting on this to ensure their stars, so to speak, are aligned with the prime time games.

But then again, I'm just a Bills home who loves the game, so I can be completely in the wrong here.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Ha Ha - and the folks calling for the players to "suck it up and live in a bubble for six months" are likely the very same ones who refuse to wear a mask to the grocery store.

It's always about entitlement and servitude. Notice the signs said "I want my hair cut", not "I want to cut hair".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Antonio said:

Can somebody tell me what happens to contracts if there is no season?

If someone was in the last year of his contract, are they FAs next season? 

doubt any of this has been decided

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Actually, flattening the curve prolongs the timeframe of the disease because herd immunity is never achieved. The reasons for flattening the curve are to ensure that the hospitals are not over burdened. But it causes the disease to last for much longer.

6 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Assuming this hasn't been determined, part of me feels like a big sticking point for players is what happens to a player who decides to opt-out of playing for health concerns.

What happens if Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady* or Lamar Jackson or Gronk* or Drew Brees decide their (fill-in-the-blank reason...pregnant wives, children, etc.) are more important than playing this season? 

Does the NFL really want ten prime time games with Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert under center? I'm gonna say no. I can see the NFL sitting on this to ensure their stars, so to speak, are aligned with the prime time games.

But then again, I'm just a Bills home who loves the game, so I can be completely in the wrong here.

Tom Brady should have concerns. He's inching closer to that at-risk demographic.

But luckily he has his snake oil pills to give him immunity to all diseases.

11 minutes ago, cd1 said:

You draw a conclusion of a double standard by trying to tie two things together based on literally nothing more than a personal assumption on your part.

Yeesh.