NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

1 minute ago, Mr Info said:

I was just talking to my army Brat niece last night about this very subject.  Her husband just arrived in Afghanistan this week on a training mission and tested positive for Covid 19. My little army Brat is a very brave girl, but I could hear the concern in her voice as she tried to keep her emotions in check.

Covid 19 scent patrol dogs could have prevented this from happening IMO. 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:11 AM, HardyBoy said:

Haha, I'm pretty good at sarcasm and I can't tell if you're joking or serious, so well done, maybe?

You're telling me you'd watch 4th pre-season games for an entire season for every team and game, you really would watch that?

Hate to break this to you also, but the Bills never had the worst roster in the league, not really ever close except maybe the year before they drafted Mike Williams.  They were consistently mediocre right around 7-9 every year, and were basically just missing a few pieces or better than replacement level depth at a few key positions because of cash to cap, and never got the lucky bounce to end up 9-7 and back into the playoffs because of the Pats.

They could absolutely get the funding to start a league, think of that Shark Tank pitch.

Granted the NBA would be the easiest to pull off.

I watch as many as I can.  I think the AAFL or whatever it was called and XFL would make investors nervous.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:45 AM, formerlyofCtown said:

I watch as many as I can.  I think the AAFL or whatever it was called and XFL would make investors nervous.

Nice, to each their own for sure. I do think you're likely in the minority watching lower quality football. Look at soccer...Americans eat up the english premier league, but the same level of interest isn't there with the mls...but as the quality of the mls has improved, so have the number of viewers.

That said, the rochester rhinos crushed it back in the day, but I think Rochester is a sneaky underrated sports town (we had a pro nba team for crying out loud and an nba championship I believe).

All that said, I might not be the best person to gauge sports interest these days...since I moved down to south florida, from boston (originally Rochester) I cut the cord and stopped watching pretty much all sports except the Bills and I will be die hard Sabres as soon as they get back to be decent (watched 20 games straight or so the last two seasons before the wheels fell off each time and it became depressing. 

I could tell you a lot of what was happening on each team in each of the main four sports before I moved down here.  We're moving to Raleigh in a month or so, so maybe I'll get more into sports again, but now I have to little kids, so thinking prob not.

5 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Nice, to each their own for sure. I do think you're likely in the minority watching lower quality football. Look at soccer...Americans eat up the english premier league, but the same level of interest isn't there with the mls...but as the quality of the mls has improved, so have the number of viewers.

That said, the rochester rhinos crushed it back in the day, but I think Rochester is a sneaky underrated sports town (we had a pro nba team for crying out loud and an nba championship I believe).

All that said, I might not be the best person to gauge sports interest these days...since I moved down to south florida, from boston (originally Rochester) I cut the cord and stopped watching pretty much all sports except the Bills and I will be die hard Sabres as soon as they get back to be decent (watched 20 games straight or so the last two seasons before the wheels fell off each time and it became depressing. 

I could tell you a lot of what was happening on each team in each of the main four sports before I moved down here.  We're moving to Raleigh in a month or so, so maybe I'll get more into sports again, but now I have to little kids, so thinking prob not.

Some are diehard sports watchers.  Doesn't matter what it is.  And year, MLS is an inferior league to the European leagues and they will never get to that level because there isn't enough interest in the US and they can't pay as much as those leagues do.  

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Some are diehard sports watchers.  Doesn't matter what it is.  And year, MLS is an inferior league to the European leagues and they will never get to that level because there isn't enough interest in the US and they can't pay as much as those leagues do.  

You need to come to a game in Atlanta. Many of the cities are embracing MLS. It’s really something. Superior in game experience to the NFL for a casual fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You need to come to a game in Atlanta. Many of the cities are embracing MLS. It’s really something. Superior in game experience to the NFL for a casual fan. 

I went to a bunch of new england revolution games, they definitely have a great live fan base and they play out in Foxboro which is 40 min or whatever from Boston.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Also, the lack of relegation I think hurts in the long run (though it's not possible for them to stay solvent as a league with relegation apparently). Imagine when Rochester won the gold cup that they got to get into the mls, and that would happen to a smaller team or two every season...you would super quickly see the enthusiasm in the league surge I think.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HardyBoy said:

Also, the lack of relegation I think hurts in the long run (though it's not possible for them to stay solvent as a league with relegation apparently). Imagine when Rochester won the gold cup that they got to get into the mls, and that would happen to a smaller team or two every season...you would super quickly see the enthusiasm in the league surge I think.

Do you think relegation is all that big of a factor in fans' enjoyment?  Soccer is the only major sport that does that.

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Rochester Royals, 1950–51,  3rd season in the NBA.

They finished the season by winning their 1st NBA Championship over NY Knickerbockers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1951.html

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Do you think relegation is all that big of a factor in fans' enjoyment?  Soccer is the only major sport that does that.

I think having connectivity between different divisions like FA Cup etc really helps promote domestic leagues

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I do think it would help, but the bigger deal is that they just have a very low salary cap right now. Until teams agree to lift that and actually start spending with the big boys, it's going to remain a significantly inferior league. Players are interested in playing in America, but we simply won't pay them right now. Ibrahimovic was the highest paid MLS player in league history at roughly $7 million when his previous team was paying him over $27 million.

MLS is still enjoyable to watch; I was really excited to get out to Audi Field to see some of the DC United games this summer. But I think the appetite is certainly here in America to enjoy soccer and big name players are interested in playing here too. The only thing we're missing is the owners agreeing to start paying its players .

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I do think it would help, but the bigger deal is that they just have a very low salary cap right now. Until teams agree to lift that and actually start spending with the big boys, it's going to remain a significantly inferior league. Players are interested in playing in America, but we simply won't pay them right now. Ibrahimovic was the highest paid MLS player in league history at roughly $7 million when his previous team was paying him over $27 million.

MLS is still enjoyable to watch; I was really excited to get out to Audi Field to see some of the DC United games this summer. But I think the appetite is certainly here in America to enjoy soccer and big name players are interested in playing here too. The only thing we're missing is the owners agreeing to start paying its players .

What are the revenues?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

What are the revenues?

I don't know the exact numbers but I know it's definitely low compared to other American pro leagues. Kind of a chicken or the egg deal though. It's hard to bring in the revenue to justify paying big name players without paying big name players first.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't know the exact numbers but I know it's definitely low compared to other American pro leagues. Kind of a chicken or the egg deal though. It's hard to bring in the revenue to justify paying big name players without paying big name players first.

And that's where I think relegation and more so promotion would help. You're suddenly talking about small, but extremely dedicated fan bases entering the main league, and getting a huge influx of cash to bring in new players and upgrade facilities and all that. It would help with organic growth. The problem is the the premier league was built up organically, where the mls owners started the league and aren't about to watch the value of their franchise cut by some huge %.

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I live less than 10 minutes away from where the new Miami team was going to play in fort lauderdale while their real stadium is being built...such a bummer with covid (I mean it's not important ultimately, but still a bummer).

Was gonna go to so many games, but now we're moving to Raleigh next month (getting the heck out of here with the mix of hurricanes, covid, two real young kids and a five hour drive off the peninsula when 6 million people aren't trying to evacuate)...looks like we are gonna get at least one more close call at best with Isaias before we go, and likely a few more the way this hurricane season has gone so far.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2020 at 10:48 AM, Doc said:

If you watch MLS it is not even close to Premiership. MLS is basically double AA ball, and will remain so unless for some reason they start paying at a much higher level. Few great European will come to USA to play unless the money is substantially higher.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If you watch MLS it is not even close to Premiership. MLS is basically double AA ball, and will remain so unless for some reason they start paying at a much higher level. Few great European will come to USA to play unless the money is substantially higher.

And the best athletes in the US go to other sports. Again, because you can get rich and famous in those other sports but not as much in soccer (in the US).

It's a shame because I do love watching soccer (and playing it) but I don't have any connection with a European team and MLS teams aren't as good.