NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Doc, you have one warped sense of humor (I love BTW).  The people I most worry about who still will be working are the trainers, weight training coaches, assistants, other older employees, and yes, the O Lineman who some have very high BMI’s.  As much as I hate the Darth Vader of the NFL, Belicheck and Carroll who I don’t mind when he’s not talking with gum in his mouth are both in their late 60’s.  These are the guys who are definitely at risk.  How many assistants are older than 65?

I'm not downplaying the concern and they're going to have to make a personal decision on whether it's worth the risk to them.  Same goes for the players.  I don't blame the players for wanting more clarity about what are YOU going to do to create the safest environment possible.  Businesses across the country have the same job of making their employees feel safe to come back to work.  From an economic standpoint most of these players have a few years to make as much money as possible.  I think NFL players should have a $150k opt out option if they don't feel comfortable like the player's union proposed.

29 minutes ago, njbuff said:

So much for my theory that a virus dies in the heat. Most of the country is in an oppressive heat wave right now.

This MFing virus does NOT want to go away.

It is losing potency but is still very much alive.

Behavior will kill it way before heat does.

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I mean.. players vocally shot down the bubble, and some also shot down amended face masks.  What exactly are they looking for?   You can’t possibly think the NFL is just business as usual, there’s going to be testing and guidelines as we saw floated a few days ago, but if it’s truly about “safety”, how come I’ve already seen them shoot down two common sense safety protocols? ??‍♂️

dare I ask, why non essential entertainment has you so riled up? 

seems reasonable they may not take whatever the boss gives them. I wouldn’t want to be in a bubble for 6 months. Beyond that, as players have mentioned, what happens when your starting center gets it? What are the preventative steps before the positive test that keeps the team safe and what are the steps after? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

dare I ask, why non essential entertainment has you so riled up? 

seems reasonable they may not take whatever the boss gives them. I wouldn’t want to be in a bubble for 6 months. Beyond that, as players have mentioned, what happens when your starting center gets it? What are the preventative steps before the positive test that keeps the team safe and what are the steps after? 

Honestly, not really riled up.. just been fighting off a non-COVID virus and am bored so the debate is helping pass the time.. and yea, the players are being disingenuous here.  One can be for player safety and also recognize that. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yes. How many corner kicks in a game. EVERY play in football is worse than a corner kick. 

Not if they wear the amended masks that so many players say they won’t wear. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not downplaying the concern and they're going to have to make a personal decision on whether it's worth the risk to them.  Same goes for the players.  I don't blame the players for wanting more clarity about what are YOU going to do to create the safest environment possible.  Businesses across the country have the same job of making their employees feel safe to come back to work.  From an economic standpoint most of these players have a few years to make as much money as possible.  I think NFL players should have a $150k opt out option if they don't feel comfortable like the player's union proposed.

So they have every incentive to not only play, but abide by the rules to help prevent themselves from getting infected.  Again I don't hear any players talking about what they need to do to create the safest environment possible.  And up until now, none of them have been living in a "bubble."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one is terminating any contracts...what are you talking about?

If an employer has the ability to not pay players who are unable to work solely due to the fact that the employer has failed to provide a safe working environment, they have effectively terminated the contract.  Don’t like a contract a player has signed?  Just create an unsafe work environment.  Problem solved.

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

If an employer has the ability to not pay players who are unable to work solely due to the fact that the employer has failed to provide a safe working environment, they have effectively terminated the contract.  Don’t like a contract a player has signed?  Just create an unsafe work environment.  Problem solved.

That's not true.

Anyway, someone you missed this:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/07/18/nfl-offers-players-opt-out-program-2020-season

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

And up until now, none of them have been living in a "bubble."

How do you know that none of them has been living in a bubble? 

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

So they have every incentive to not only play, but abide by the rules to help prevent themselves from getting infected.  Again I don't hear any players talking about what they need to do to create the safest environment possible.  And up until now, none of them have been living in a "bubble."

And unfortunately for some of them, they play a contact sport and might literally contact someone who has refused to live in the bubble.  It's the factors beyond the control of the player that are at issue here.  For that reason I completely agree with the players who support daily testing, not necessarily for themselves, but for the "other" players with whom they may come into contact. 

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Wow how astute of you to catch on to the fact that it was coordinated. A brilliant mind

Some of the most heartfelt and profound speeches/poems of our age were a re-hash of four or five phrases drafted by behind-the-scenes handlers (agents, union reps, etc.). I’m glad you agree. I always knew you and I shared the same viewpoint. Thanks for confirming it. 

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

How do you know that none of them has been living in a bubble? 

How do you know any have?  And if they have, the shouldn't have a problem continuing to be in one now, right?

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

And unfortunately for some of them, they play a contact sport and might literally contact someone who has refused to live in the bubble.  It's the factors beyond the control of the player that are at issue here.  For that reason I completely agree with the players who support daily testing, not necessarily for themselves, but for the "other" players with whom they may come into contact. 

Other players...who can't abide by the rules?  Then those players should be warned and then if they still don't listen, removed from the team without pay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/players-who-test-positive-for-covid-19-will-be-paid/

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-creating-covid-19-202407712.html

Distancing and sanitization protocols exist for any industry--no mysteries there.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/07/06/nfl-training-camps-coronavirus-covid-19-protocol/5385276002/

Details to be worked out remain--primarily because the testing apparatus in this country, because of the increase in testing, is still inadequate for the volume.

These players are being (I'm being kind here) disingenuous here.

If you read the articles it even changed since yesterday. That’s kind of the point. 

So not getting tested daily and not being told how many players need to be positive before quarantining a whole team are the sticking points?  The latter is something that can be decided upon when the times comes while daily testing is unnecessary, especially if turnaround time is more than a day (and doing daily testing won't help matters in that regard).

1 hour ago, Billl said:

This is an oversimplification. I understand the concerns of a slippery slope, but the situation is not that the NFL *won't* provide a safe working environment. It's that they probably "can't". The players aren't upset about the health related issues...they're concerned about money. This 'unsafe' workplace is a play to get paid while not playing while they try to negotiate players getting paid for not playing. 

How many other companies have to be shut down? A bar that's closed because of covid should be forced to pay it's employees when it can't open? 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s not like nothing is being done

That’s the entire point though. They are just over a week from reporting and some pretty major items are still not ironed out. The players are asking what’s the plan and “don’t worry about it we will have something” seems to be the response. If there was a clear plan in place, that comes from the medical people, the players will be okay with it. I don’t disagree that it is being worked on. They are just running out of time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s the entire point though. They are just over a week from reporting and some pretty major items are still not ironed out. The players are asking what’s the plan and “don’t worry about it we will have something” seems to be the response. If there was a clear plan in place, that comes from the medical people, the players will be okay with it. I don’t disagree that it is being worked on. They are just running out of time. 

Some report tomorrow 

• Thank you (+1) 1