NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I've been saying since March that the NFL season will not open on time in early September, as planned.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure how different things will be a few weeks, or even months, later. I’m all for a good old fashioned miracle, but I’m not optimistic. 

Players are talking about health concerns. I get it. I’d be even more concerned for the coaches and support personnel. This sucks....but it’s entertainment. It could be worse, and is for many.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how almost every one of those Tweets uses the same words/phrases. It’s like they were given four or five catch phrases and told to send the message out. Must be a coincidence. 

That is how individuals unite and gain leverage against a more powerful institution or organization. It does not take away from what players believe. It's their health they have a right to be concerned and have expectations that owners try to protect them..

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, driddles said:

The players are ticked, so we can safely assume that the NFL didn't have multiple solid plans for how to proceed in different scenarios.  Was the NFL plan on par with 'It'll all be done by the time we start, let's not have a plan'?  This can't be possible in a billion dollar sport.  Can it?

Why not, it seems to have been the plan in our trillion dollar country?

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

I didn't say 100% but I will still take that bet. I'd lay a lot of cash on it.

I'm not betting on somebody possibly dying during a pandemic (I'm just not that type of person)....unless I'm getting at least 3 to 1 odds minimum.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

If they could they would.

"Take me where the whispering breeze is,

I wanna feel my feet leave the ground

If I could I would, but I don't know how..."

Highly recommend listening, I know it's phish and whatever preconceptions, but Alisson Kraus is on this song (they were able to snag her for it in the early/mid 90s before she totally blew up):

I think revolt is completely the wrong word to use. 

The players are the ones taking the risks if they play, and when you look at how strict the sporting pre cautions are for sports like soccer, cricket and f1 in countries with far fewer infections, you can understand why they are taking a stand. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

What are the NFL's health experts recommending and the NFL is ignoring?  We should probably start there.

Not sure of specifics 

Smith said the union agreed with some but not all of the medical reasons cited for that decision, “but overall they gave the opinion that it was safe to open camp.”

The group of doctors on that call, the Daily News is told, included the team doctors for NFL clubs located in current coronavirus hotspots: the 49ers, Rams and Chargers in California; the Saints in New Orleans; the Texans in Houston; and Dolphins in Miami.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-nfl-players-coronavirus-pandemic-season-20200717-65qhcwoxqve23muafano7weuma-story.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

How do you think they should react to players flexing on the league without offering to forego any pay if the season is cancelled and/or shortened?   

A “bubble” strategy was already floated and rejected by players.  If they were truly interested in safety, they should have jumped on that.  

From the nature of your posts I'm not sure you understand the complaints made by the players. They very much want to play. But they want some word from the NFL on safety precautions. As of now there is no plan. The NFL is proceeding with training camp as if things are back to normal. As if trying to control nearly 3,000 players, plus coaches, assistants, referees, etc. spread across 32 facilities during a national pandemic isn't a logistical nightmare. There are no official testing protocols in place. No one knows exactly how often camp attendees will be tested and what to do if someone tests positive.

The players' careers are built on their bodies staying intact. They are trying to earn a lifetime of wealth by the age of 30. If they happen to get hit badly by the virus it could put their careers in danger. Most young and fit people who catch the virus turn out okay, many won't even show any symptoms at all. But some get unlucky and have to deal with a month or more of awful fatigue and respiratory problems. A few very unlucky ones may experience organ failure or death. Worse still in the players' minds, what if they accidentally bring the virus home to their families?

The logistics of keeping all the players, officials, coaches, etc. in a bubble for at least 6 months is really not doable. I don't begrudge the players for wanting to see their families. Not to mention the numerous regular people who aren't millionaires that would presumably have to be kept in the same bubble. The people that clean the locker room? The cooks that make the players food? You seemingly haven't given them any consideration.

Frankly the entire country's handling of the coronavirus has been a disaster and the NFL's handling of it so far is a microcosm of that.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

From the nature of your posts I'm not sure you understand the complaints made by the players. They very much want to play. But they want some word from the NFL on safety precautions. As of now there is no plan. The NFL is proceeding with training camp as if things are back to normal. As if trying to control nearly 3,000 players, plus coaches, assistants, referees, etc. spread across 32 facilities during a national pandemic isn't a logistical nightmare. There are no official testing protocols in place. No one knows exactly how often camp attendees will be tested and what to do if someone tests positive.

The players' careers are built on their bodies staying intact. They are trying to earn a lifetime of wealth by the age of 30. If they happen to get hit badly by the virus it could put their careers in danger. Most young and fit people who catch the virus turn out okay, many won't even show any symptoms at all. But some get unlucky and have to deal with a month or more of awful fatigue and respiratory problems. A few very unlucky ones may experience organ failure or death. Worse still in the players' minds, what if they accidentally bring the virus home to their families?

The logistics of keeping all the players, officials, coaches, etc. in a bubble for at least 6 months is really not doable. I don't begrudge the players for wanting to see their families. Not to mention the numerous regular people who aren't millionaires that would presumably have to be kept in the same bubble. The people that clean the locker room? The cooks that make the players food? You seemingly haven't given them any consideration.

Frankly the entire country's handling of the coronavirus has been a disaster and the NFL's handling of it so far is a microcosm of that.

Yes, I understand.  I also understand that the players openly opposed a “bubble” strategy.   

Reality is, there’s zero way to ensure safety in a pandemic with no vaccine available.  

A “bubble” is the next best thing.  

If that is not an option for the players, everything else will look like a s**tshow, because that’s exactly what it is.  

If they play, without a bubble, some players will get with COVID.... there’s no way around it in the current environment. 

Every other league is getting back to playing - MLS, MLB, NBA etc.. 

It comes down to the same question many other Americans are having to deal with... Stay home, or accept inherent risk.  

I have zero issue with the players pushing for safety protocols,  but when they don’t seem willing to give up money and already opposed a “bubble”, it’s a bit difficult to take them 100% seriously. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

but when they don’t seem willing to give up money and already opposed a “bubble”, it’s a bit difficult to take them 100% seriously. 

Then maybe you should read the rest of my post. A bubble for 6 months is not realistic when you consider the number of people that would have to be kept in that bubble. It isn't just the players. It's everyone else involved with the game too.