NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) You do realize the players speaking out, and the players practicing in Fl and CA may not be the same players?

2) You do realize that covid-19 is now spiking seriously in a number of states that were 1-2 months ago?

3) Practicing in small groups and practicing at the team facility -> not same thing

4) Per JJ Watt's tweet, there appear to be some concrete details lacking that the NFL needs to fill in.

Diggs? Covid was spiking in Florida while he was practicing with the other Bills there. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

It’s pretty much the disingenuousness of it.  

Players also seemed to have a problem with a “bubble” solution.  

They can do whatever they want, and if they’re concerned with their health, should....but the hospital worker, grocery store clerk, (potentially) teachers, retail, restaurant workers etc., who are all making pennies on the dollar are forced to choose between working in a COVID environment or losing their job.   That’s a massive part of the NFL’s fan base.  The disconnect will likely be the same as we saw when MLB players did this. 

Seriously enough with the grocery store clerk analogies. Good luck getting kids to go back to school, that will be a disaster. It’s almost like we need actual leaders making decisions to help other Americans that our struggling in this enviroment, but instead we have inept govt leadership followed by inept nfl leadership. Color me shocked that roger goodell doesn’t have a plan and will get you minions to bash the players because they make more money than you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Kind of have to agree with the players on this. It's actually mind blowing camps are about to open up.. has anyone seen anything from the NFL regarding safety measures they are putting in place. Other than canceling two preseason games has the NFL done anything or set any guidelines, or formed any sort of plan? Seems like they are just winging it? Players will get covid during the season, likely a ton of them will, and it seems like it's going to be a **** show when it happens.

• Like (+1) 3

It is just an incredibly  ignorant notion to have 32 different sets of protocols for Covid-19 protection, it doesn’t work. It is no different Nation wide having fifty different protocols for Covid-19 protection, as we see, it doesn’t work. What a bunch of Bafoons. Anyone  paying any attention would see this coming. When our best medical and scientific experts give their assessments on a new pandemic virus that is spreading across the nation, one does not then go to thirty two separate corporate executives and say set up your own protocols.  For there to be any chance to control the virus everyone must be on the same page.  There is just an all to huge percentage of stupid in this country. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You’re quite judgmental and angry, while quickly resorting to name calling, so I’ll just assume you have CNN on all day?

Is that how we’re doing this?

Also, enough with the straw man arguments.  Nobody is saying they shouldn’t have safety measures in place... my goodness.  

I see how you’re doing it. I’m tired of boot lickers going out of their way to blame employees instead of getting to the root of the issue. But I guess you really can’t handle people making more money than you, so you need to resort to calling them out. Cool.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Kind of have to agree with the players on this. It's actually mind blowing camps are about to open up.. has anyone seen anything from the NFL regarding safety measures they are putting in place. Other than canceling two preseason games has the NFL done anything or set any guidelines, or formed any sort of plan? Seems like they are just winging it? Players will get covid during the season, likely a ton of them will, and it seems like it's going to be a **** show when it happens.

The only way I can see this working (in terms of safety), is to “bubble” each team to start and then re-evaluate based on what’s happening in the country and/or therapeutics. 

However, players already made it pretty clear that they aren’t interested in a “bubble” strategy.  

Not sure it’s feasible to have any type of actual safety strategy without having monitored & restricted movement of players and staff. 

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s pretty much the disingenuousness of it.  

Players also seemed to have a problem with a “bubble” solution.  

They can do whatever they want, and if they’re concerned with their health, should....but the hospital worker, grocery store clerk, (potentially) teachers, retail, restaurant workers etc., who are all making pennies on the dollar are forced to choose between working in a COVID environment or losing their job.   That’s a massive part of the NFL’s fan base.  The disconnect will likely be the same as we saw when MLB players did this. 

The baseball argument isn’t a fair one. The baseball players and owners were fighting over revenue sharing. Would it be a straight prorated salary or would they have to take a discount on that? That alienated the public. NFL players are arguing for better working conditions. The 2 situations are apples and oranges.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I see how you’re doing it. I’m tired of boot lickers going out of their way to blame employees instead of getting to the root of the issue. But I guess you really can’t handle people making more money than you, so you need to resort to calling them out. Cool.

I have zero issues with how much I make and/or my lifestyle currently.  You seem to be the one projecting.  Luckily, I can WFH and do whatever I want in this COVID environment because I own a business.   

Do you know who can’t?  Pretty much anyone working a blue collar job.  Aka, the base of the NFL’s fandom.   How do you think they should react to players flexing on the league without offering to forego any pay if the season is cancelled and/or shortened?   

A “bubble” strategy was already floated and rejected by players.  If they were truly interested in safety, they should have jumped on that.  

Literally nobody here thinks they shouldn’t have increased safety measures (and I’m quite sure they will).    However, without a bubble, it’s going to be tough to keep everyone safe during season play, unless we have a dramatic change between now and September. 

Edited by SCBills

At this point I would be all for delaying the start of the season a month. Push everything back and start in October (move Weeks 1-4) to January. Let ***** settle in the south and maybe, MAYBE we won't have to worry about a spike in cases in September.

Like everyone else, I want to see NFL football.  I've tried to remain positive all this time but 4 months into this virus - it doesn't look good.  The NFL and NFLPA had all this time to work on safety protocols and procedures.  I find them both at fault.  If some players don't want to play - I don't blame them.  Maybe there won't be football this season.  I find myself becoming less interested in football with each passing day.  My two cents JMO

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They have the luxury of not showing up for work and still getting a check.

Why isn't their union dictating the parameters of the plan to the league ?  What do the players hope to achieve by going to twitter about their concerns with the league---or why arent they blaming the NFLPA publicly as well?  How will it move the process of their concerns forward.

They are preparing the public for them not showing up.  That's the only reasonable conclusion. 

Very few people in THIS country can so "simply forego their pay and stay at home"

to your points about the union, I think many players know all too well that their union is weak - and criticizing union leadership in public would only end up making it weaker.

If the players are so concerned, they have an easy solution. "We're not going to play." However, they want to be paid AND not play which is why there is all this..back and forth. They won't come out and say that either so you get all this "worry" about playing which is really just them trying to position themselves to make some insane argument that they should be paid to not play. 

Simple, they can go ahead and file for unemployment if they qualify like everyone else in the country. Problem solved. Fire DeMaurice "idiot" Smith and hire me. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how almost every one of those Tweets uses the same words/phrases. It’s like they were given four or five catch phrases and told to send the message out. Must be a coincidence. 

Wow how astute of you to catch on to the fact that it was coordinated. A brilliant mind

A job action to stop the preseason and camp should cancel the season imho.  I attended games back in the 80's after the strike, and, they came in with one week of practice.  Worst pro game I ever saw, sloppy execution, out of shape players.  But, the vets think they can do it.  Experience tells me otherwise.  If the preseason and camps are canceled, you will see the worst display of football ever seen in week one.