NFL Players Staging Revolt

CSBill

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

If only the NFL would step up and do the impossible this would all go away! 

Right? 

I think that might be the issue in the end...if this can't be done safely, then the answer might be not to do it at all.

If the nfl isn't brining that as an option to the table, showing data on both the short term and long term costs of a cancelled season, that to me does not show they are taking this seriously.

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Can they at least televise some live Debates or something so we get something out of this season as it slowly inches toward a cliff

I think my high school taped all the debate team's matches.  I'll see what I can do, do you have a preferred network?  ?

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

You realize 32% of the country wasn't able to pay July rent/mortgages fully right? Might not be the best line of argument you're taking here.

Anyway, this is entertainment in the end, and there is a reason the arena league doesn't draw the same fans as the nfl...you put the best players in the world in the arena league it will be the most popular sport on tv.

This billion dollar league is absolutely a function of the players, don't for a second think differently.  They could all go on strike tomorrow and start their own league the next day, cut out the owners and make absolute bank...like serious life changing money across all segments of the roster.

You think every other person in this country is able to do the same thing? Come on now, some random dude pushing a piece of paper or an email from an inbox to an outbox or laying a foundation for a building are not irreplaceable...even the best is not someone who is at a level of .01% of the population or whatever and what makes them that valuable isn't untrainable (sorry, you can't teach 4.3)

Yea.... you completely misunderstood the point I’m making.  

Might want to re-read my post and check out the part you missed. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, CSBill said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/07/nfl-players-we-want-to-play-twitter-campaign-coronavirus

There is a coordinated effort by the players today, apparently. I find it hard to disagree with them. The NFL has had more time than any other league to prepare for this, and it appears they have not. I guess they left it up to the individual teams. And that was/is a bad idea. It will be interesting to see where this goes. But my hunch is that the camps that were supposed to open this week will not.

Welp then

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, CSBill said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/07/nfl-players-we-want-to-play-twitter-campaign-coronavirus

There is a coordinated effort by the players today, apparently. I find it hard to disagree with them. The NFL has had more time than any other league to prepare for this, and it appears they have not. I guess they left it up to the individual teams. And that was/is a bad idea. It will be interesting to see where this goes. But my hunch is that the camps that were supposed to open this week will not.

I've been saying since March that the NFL season will not open on time in early September, as planned.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yes, I definitely take seriously the comments of players who for the last several months have practiced in small groups amongst themselves in Florida and California. This is all posturing. They just dont want to play preseason. 

1) You do realize the players speaking out, and the players practicing in Fl and CA may not be the same players?

2) You do realize that covid-19 is now spiking seriously in a number of states that were doing OK 1-2 months ago?

3) Practicing in small groups and practicing at the team facility -> not same thing

4) Per JJ Watt's tweet, there appear to be some concrete details lacking that the NFL needs to fill in.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Cool.   Sit out and don’t get paid.  

If they’re worried about their health (and they have every right to be), simply offer to forego pay and stay home with your family. 

....As is the case for every other person in this country.  

This isn’t going to end well for players perception if this is the route they choose while not offering to forego pay.  I doubt the public has an appetite to feel bad for Russell Wilson tweeting out about his safety when he makes millions upon millions per year as they go to work every day at grocery stores, restaurants, hospitals, small businesses that are barely getting by etc.. 

So because they make more money then you then they don’t deserve to be safe. Talk about brainwashing to the fullest. Keep tuning into Fox News. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

This thread feels like standing in the checkout lane with all the candy and tantrums are breaking out all over.

Everyone who comes to this site every day want football this season. 

Some folks realize that our Buffalo Bills are also people. People with lives and families.

Most professional athletes have only their body to make a living with. If their body fails them, well...

All professional athletes realize the risk they take, in their chosen sport, and know that their career could end at any time due to injury or decreased physical conditioning.

NONE of the current professional athletes signed a contract to go perform in inclement conditions. (electrical storm, etc.) None of them agreed to play in potentially deadly or possible career ending pandemic.

Dear lord Jesus, how many years have we as Bills fans waited to finally have a winning team?  I for one do not want to risk any one currently on our team, just so I can be entertained a few hours a week.

The players want to play. It is not wrong for them to demand that their environment is as safe as possible.

nuf said.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

This billion dollar league is absolutely a function of the players, don't for a second think differently.  They could all go on strike tomorrow and start their own league the next day, cut out the owners and make absolute bank...like serious life changing money across all segments of the roster.

If they could they would.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how almost every one of those Tweets uses the same words/phrases. It’s like they were given four or five catch phrases and told to send the message out. Must be a coincidence. 

You’ve done it now Sherlock. It’s called the players union. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I've been saying since March that the NFL season will not open on time in early September, as planned.

I was promised Easter.  If baseball teams are playing right now there's no reason the NFL won't start on time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

So because they make more money then you then they don’t deserve to be safe. Talk about brainwashing to the fullest. Keep tuning into Fox News. 

They absolutely deserve to be safe.  Which is why they can stay home if they don’t want to play.   Why should they get paid too?  

People who work jobs that don’t allow them to WFH are forced with the decision now to either go back to work in this environment or lose their job. 

Not sure how that invokes Fox News... 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

But how dare they use their leverage to try to get better conditions during this pandemic, other people don't have that kind of leverage so they shouldn't use it because reasons.?

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They absolutely deserve to be safe.  Which is why they can stay home if they don’t want to play.   Why should they get paid too?  

People who work jobs that don’t allow them to WFH are forced with the decision now to either go back to work in this environment or lose their job. 

Not sure how that invokes Fox News... 

because they deserve to have safety measures put in place you stooge. If there are none, than it is completely reckless. Even most jobs across America have made drastic changes to invoke the safety of its’ employees. But you sound like an entitled cry baby who wants the players to just shut up and play football. Why do they need any safety measures ?????

your immediate reaction to this situation was to have zero empathy which shows you have a lack of basic caring for people which probably means you love Fox News. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I knew this would be a thread soon, but that was fast.  I was driving this morning first to church, then the gym so listening as always to NFLR.  Vic and Alex were on and they discussed these exact points.  Vic astutely made the point this is about media posturing over a negotiations.  Alex said, how is it they are so worried about their health and the same athletes are balking about wearing a new version of a helmet designed to help keep them safe.

Of course they still want to get paid.  Bottom line is they are setting things up for grievances if they don’t play or show up for training camp, etc.  It was said by a couple of you is don’t work, don’t get paid.  I’m sorry if I don’t feel bad for a $100,000,000 like JJ Watt complaining when I have a lot of friends laid off or working in some sales position making 50% of what they normally make because the economy is in the tank.  I have little if any sympathy for these guys.  Go to work or don’t get paid.  Living i. FL you guys may know our grocery store chain, Publix.  Well, these workers are risking their health for $10-12/hr., but they do it because they need the $.  Those are the people who get my sympathy and I pray for them and anyone else having to work in an essential job facing the public for not a lot of $.  I’d like to think I’m a nice guy so I talk to the workers when possible, and a # of them had professional jobs, but was laid off so they took what they can get at this time.

Oh, and I do feel for the majority of players that might not either keep or secure a job because they didn’t get to play a pre-season game, or the impending salary cap reduction causes players as one scenario who are in their 5th or 6th year and for cost cutting purposes lose out.

• Like (+1) 8

IN! I'm going to start a firm that personally services all the sexiest players with their every desire...like personal Waterboys but all inclusive! 

Any investors want in, I'm pitching to McCaffrey, Kupp, The Watts, Scout Master Kuechly, our own Josh Allen, Leighton Vander Esch, The Bosas, etc...

Also looking for employees, must be willing to get your hands dirty....extremely dirtyyyyy:wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

But how dare they use their leverage to try to get better conditions during this pandemic, other people don't have that kind of leverage so they shouldn't use it because reasons.?

It’s pretty much the disingenuousness of it.  

Players also seemed to have a problem with a “bubble” solution.  

They can do whatever they want, and if they’re concerned with their health, should....but the hospital worker, grocery store clerk, (potentially) teachers, retail, restaurant workers etc., who are all making pennies on the dollar are forced to choose between working in a COVID environment or losing their job.   That’s a massive part of the NFL’s fan base.  The disconnect will likely be the same as we saw when MLB players did this. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

because they deserve to have safety measures put in place you stooge. If there are none, than it is completely reckless. Even most jobs across America have made drastic changes to invoke the safety of its’ employees. But you sound like an entitled cry baby who wants the players to just shut up and play football. Why do they need any safety measures ?????

your immediate reaction to this situation was to have zero empathy which shows you have a lack of basic caring for people which probably means you love Fox News. 

You’re quite judgmental and angry, while quickly resorting to name calling, so I’ll just assume you have CNN on all day?

Is that how we’re doing this?

Also, enough with the straw man arguments.  Nobody is saying they shouldn’t have safety measures in place... my goodness.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2