Are thank you notes a thing of the past?

LabattBlue

Over the last couple years, we've been to HS grad parties for friends/relatives kids, sent dinner or gifts to friends/relatives who have a newborn, b-day presents sent to children of niece and nephew(they live out of town)...and almost in every case, no thank you note.  Is this a new thing where anyone under the age of ~30 doesn't know what a thank you note is? Not even a thank you via text or email.

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Over the last couple years, we've been to HS grad parties for friends/relatives kids, sent dinner or gifts to friends/relatives who have a newborn, b-day presents sent to children of niece and nephew(they live out of town)...and almost in every case, no thank you note.  Is this a new thing where anyone under the age of ~30 doesn't know what a thank you note is? Not even a thank you via text or email.

Personally, I think they are alive and well.  Like you, however, my mailbox does not agree.

Over the past few years, I, like you have given gifts/money for grads, newborns, weddings, etc.

ONE thank you note (and it was recent).  I bought some things on my friend/his wife's registry for their newborn (first baby).  Got the thank you card in under a month.  His wife wrote a note on the left; he wrote a note on the right.  Personalized.  Not just "thank you for the lovely gift," which I'd be fine with.  But a small paragraph, each.

Other than that?  NADA.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's how you were brought up. My wife's family (extended family included) is great with thank you notes. We just received a thank you note from my wife's cousins son who just graduated high school. Our friends always send notes too. Me? Never heard of them growing up. Something that was never done. She always made our daughters write thank you notes. I hope they continue to enforce that tradition when they have families of their own. I'm not a traditionalist, but some things like acknowledging a gift and saying thanks is important. 

Edited by 707BillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Like everything that is now preached by the Left, common courtesy is an antiquated behavior.

A lot of things are antiquated regarding common courtesy and sending mail in general. Older posters will remember when sending a letter/card/package to a boy under 12 it was sent as "To Master John C. Jones".

Letters were sealed with a wax stamp.

Calligraphy... forget it.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, I am the egg man said:

Like everything that is now preached by the Left, common courtesy is an antiquated behavior.

An exceptionally moronic response. 

I find I get thank you texts or emails. It's the thought that counts, not how it is expressed.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thank you notes via text, email or snail mail are all acceptable IMHO.  It's the thought.

My mom was a prodigious letter writer and my sister and I inherited that gene.

I have passed that on to my grandson as I taught him the best three words in the 

English language are "Please" and "Thank You".

The next three are  Let's Go BILLS !

9 hours ago, The Dean said:

An exceptionally moronic response. 

I find I get thank you texts or emails. It's the thought that counts, not how it is expressed.

35 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Thank you notes via text, email or snail mail are all acceptable IMHO.  It's the thought.

My mom was a prodigious letter writer and my sister and I inherited that gene.

I have passed that on to my grandson as I taught him the best three words in the 

English language are "Please" and "Thank You".

The next three are  Let's Go BILLS !

Agreed, re: electronic thank yous.  I see nothing wrong with it.

• Like (+1) 1

as most have mentioned, i think texts and emails have taken over.  that being said, or group is pretty good about sending written cards.  if we bring friend's kids gifts for birthdays, we always get a card in response.  i think it gets harder for getting teens to send out thank you cards.  i did hear a great solution though.  if a child gets money as a gift, don't allow them to spend the money or cash the check until the card has been sent out.  

On 7/18/2020 at 2:47 PM, 707BillsFan said:

I think it's how you were brought up. My wife's family (extended family included) is great with thank you notes. We just received a thank you note from my wife's cousins son who just graduated high school. Our friends always send notes too. Me? Never heard of them growing up. Something that was never done. She always made our daughters write thank you notes. I hope they continue to enforce that tradition when they have families of their own. I'm not a traditionalist, but some things like acknowledging a gift and saying thanks is important. 

Agreed. I was always taught that if somebody was considerate enough to think of me and take the time to send me a gift, money, etc that I could take the time to thank them for their kindness. My parents had me write thank you notes and I have instilled that in my sons, as well. My younger son just graduated from high school and he sent thank you notes to everyone who sent him money. Manners never go out of style and are not related to political affiliation despite a$$hat comments by such 'enlightened' posters as 'I am the egg man'. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, T&C said:

A lot of things are antiquated regarding common courtesy and sending mail in general. Older posters will remember when sending a letter/card/package to a boy under 12 it was sent as "To Master John C. Jones".

In high school we had a classmate whose last name was Bateman. We used to call him "Master Bateman".