RIP Congressman John Lewis - Civil Rights Icon

Doc Brown

"I have been beaten, my skull fractured, and arrested more than forty times so that each and every person has the right to register and vote. Friends of my gave their lives. Do your part. Get out there and vote like you’ve never voted before."   -  John Lewis, 2018

RIP, sir.

• Like (+1) 3

A man who respectfully walked the walk and talked the talk in a most difficult time. 

Amen to him.

In no way what's going on now anywhere near representative of what Mr. Lewis did.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

RIP.

Whether you agreed with him or not, you had to respect the fact that he stood steadfast for his beliefs and put his own well being on the line to defend them.    That's so sadly missing in today's bought and sold, "which way is the wind blowing" elected class...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Watched a special about him on MSNBC. In 2008 he was torn to support Hillary or Barack. He was very good friends with the Clintons but the dream of a black man being president was also on his mind. Ultimately after President Obama won Georgia he endorsed him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

MORE:

RIP: Georgia congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis has died at age 80.

“Rep. John Lewis of Georgia died at the age of 80 on Friday, according to multiple reporters.”

Much longer obit at Politico: John Lewis, civil rights icon and longtime congressman, dies.

ALSO

34 minutes ago, B-Man said:
14 hours ago - Civil rights leader Rev. Cordy Tindell "C.T." Vivian has died at age 95, his daughter Kira Vivian told CNN.

• Like (+1) 1