Strange Sales Taxing

My wife was going to buy some SanDisk 256GB Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drives from BJs for $24.99 with "clipless coupons".

Since they are not charging for shipping she was just going to mail order them.

When she looked at total price it was $29.19 ($4.20 sales tax).

Northern Virginia rate for non food is 6%.

She could not figure out why the total is so high.

I figured it out - they were charging tax on original price, a price no store is selling at, $69.99.

One of two things are happening:

1. They are charging sales tax on original price never sold at and giving extra tax money to Virginia
  2. They are charging sales tax on original price never sold at and keeping money.

Do other stores do this?

Some vendors are required to collect Sales Tax for NYS.  Our tax rate on most things is 8% (depending on County), lower on clothes, etc & nothing on some things, like food.

I've bought some things online from vendors that have charged a full 8% even when less or nothing should be collected.

(I'm constantly peeved that I get charged tax on my "free" bag of dog food from a local brick & mortar vendor - I believe the rebate actually comes from the manufacturer.  Buy 12, get 1 free.)

I suspect the 1st case is just bad bookkeeping/software & the $ probably gets fwded to NYS; the latter, I'm not so sure about.