Post deadline statuses of franchise tagged players

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-franchise-tag-roundup-dak-prescott-derrick-henry-yannick-ngakoue

The deadline to reach new agreements has passed for franchise tagged players.  Here’s where they all stand.  Dak is obviously the big news for NOT getting a deal.  Not a ton of surprises though, except I’d have thought that AJ Green would’ve signed his tag by now. 

46 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Does anyone think that Dak will be the newCousins?

Don't be surprised if they let Dak walk next year, draft a guy in 2021, and ride the Dalton train until the new guy is ready,  Cowboys have a good offense and the QB can hide behind their good o-line and let Zeke carry the load.  Jerry Jones doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that will accept these circumstances and may see it as an affront to his ego.  It's nice to see the drama in Dallas and I hope it drags their whole team into the gutter.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Seems inevitable. Think he's better than Cousins though.

Cowboys burned all their leverage, now its market price, which is a likely death sentence for any championship dreams.

They at least have Dalton so they can use him as starter while he has his Dak'ing house parties.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Does anyone think that Dak will be the newCousins?

Cousins led the Vikings to a playoff victory but I think Dak is more likely to be a Cousins type average to above average QB rather than the top 5 QB hos contract will demand him to be.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:49 PM, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Don't be surprised if they let Dak walk next year, draft a guy in 2021, and ride the Dalton train until the new guy is ready,  Cowboys have a good offense and the QB can hide behind their good o-line and let Zeke carry the load.  Jerry Jones doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that will accept these circumstances and may see it as an affront to his ego.  It's nice to see the drama in Dallas and I hope it drags their whole team into the gutter.

Not a big Dak fan. (as I have stated many times on here)  Cowboys have not won much because of or with Dak.  I would have traded Dak and rolled with Dalton this year.  And they can draft a QB next year to groom.  The boys can win with Dalton and that O line and group of skilled position players.  The whole contract situation w Prescott puts a stink on the team.  Have no idea why anyone would pay him 35 million.  He is soft like a down feather pillow.  ( I know who would pay him-Kirby Jackson would!!)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

Not a big Dak fan. (as I have stated many times on here)  Cowboys have not won much because of or with Dak.  I would have traded Dak and rolled with Dalton this year.  And they can draft a QB next year to groom.  The boys can win with Dalton and that O line and group of skilled position players.  The whole contract situation w Prescott puts a stink on the team.  Have no idea why anyone would pay him 35 million.  He is soft like a down feather pillow.  ( I know who would pay him-Kirby Jackson would!!)

How many QBs get "groomed" anymore? If Prescott leaves why not draft an immediate starter?

19 hours ago, nucci said:

How many QBs get "groomed" anymore? If Prescott leaves why not draft an immediate starter?

Good point Nucci.  Depending on where the Cowboys were to draft next year, they very well could find an immediate starter.  Other then Trevor Lawrence, who are the top QB's ahead of this coming college season (if there actually is one) that will likely be coming out in next year's draft?

On 7/17/2020 at 10:17 PM, billsfan89 said:

Cousins led the Vikings to a playoff victory but I think Dak is more likely to be a Cousins type average to above average QB rather than the top 5 QB hos contract will demand him to be.

His contract will only be top 5 for a year - 2 at most. Then you get two cheap years. If you are a top 10 guy (Dak is) then when you get paid you get what is at the time top 5 money. That is just how the market works. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His contract will only be top 5 for a year - 2 at most. Then you get two cheap years. If you are a top 10 guy (Dak is) then when you get paid you get what is at the time top 5 money. That is just how the market works. 

It's still going to be a large contract that eats up a lot of cap even on the back end of that deal. In totality for that deal to be worth it for the Cowboys Dak is going to have to be a top 5 to 7 QB. 

If Dak plays at a 9 to 13 QB level throughout that deal the Cowboys won't ever be more than a 9 to 10 win team in a good year. 

40 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It's still going to be a large contract that eats up a lot of cap even on the back end of that deal. In totality for that deal to be worth it for the Cowboys Dak is going to have to be a top 5 to 7 QB. 

If Dak plays at a 9 to 13 QB level throughout that deal the Cowboys won't ever be more than a 9 to 10 win team in a good year. 

I don't agree. Derek Carr by year 3 after becoming the highest paid player in the NFL was the 9th best paid QB. And there is Watson, Allen, Baker, Darnold, Lamar, Murray and Daniel Jones (without including the vets who come up in that time period) who all come up in that first two years. The last minute compromise that fell through was going to put Dak 3rd behind Mahomes and Wilson - very conceivable by year 3 of his deal he would be about the 9th - 12th best paid Quarterback. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 7/19/2020 at 6:43 AM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Good point Nucci.  Depending on where the Cowboys were to draft next year, they very well could find an immediate starter.  Other then Trevor Lawrence, who are the top QB's ahead of this coming college season (if there actually is one) that will likely be coming out in next year's draft?

Trey Lance-North Dakota State

Justin Fields-Ohio State

Jamie Newman-Georgia

Brock Purdy-Iowa State

Sam Ehlinger-Texas

Tanner Morgan-Minnesota

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. Derek Carr by year 3 after becoming the highest paid player in the NFL was the 9th best paid QB. And there is Watson, Allen, Baker, Darnold, Lamar, Murray and Daniel Jones (without including the vets who come up in that time period) who all come up in that first two years. The last minute compromise that fell through was going to put Dak 3rd behind Mahomes and Wilson - very conceivable by year 3 of his deal he would be about the 9th - 12th best paid Quarterback. 

Being the 9th to 12th best paid QB in an inflated market doesn't mean that is a recipe for success especially with a cap that might not be inflating as preciously thought. 

Paying 35ish million for a QB who isn't a top 5 to 7 player means the team around him isn't as good given that you are committing to 15% or more of your cap to one player whose positional advantage is limited without progression.

That contract is going to cap the Cowboys at above average unless Dak plays at top 5 to 7 level. If he is just kind of good like he has been then they will be a 7 to 10 win team.

Edited by billsfan89

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Being the 9th to 12th best paid QB in an inflated market doesn't mean that is a recipe for success especially with a cap that might not be inflating as preciously thought. 

Paying 35ish million for a QB who isn't a top 5 to 7 player means the team around him isn't as good given that you are committing to 15% or more of your cap to one player whose positional advantage is limited without progression.

That contract is going to cap the Cowboys at above average unless Dak plays at top 5 to 7 level. If he is just kind of good like he has been then they will be a 7 to 10 win team.

Right, so even if I accept all that, what is the alternative? Because someone else will pay him that. If you are saying there are only 5 QBs in the league you would pay then you are gonna be left with the dregs. It is the "stop the world I wanna get off" approach. Bills fans more than almost any other fanbase (maybe other than the Browns) should know how limiting being left with bottom of the league Quarterbacking is. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Right, so even if I accept all that, what is the alternative? Because someone else will pay him that. If you are saying there are only 5 QBs in the league you would pay then you are gonna be left with the dregs. It is the "stop the world I wanna get off" approach. Bills fans more than almost any other fanbase (maybe other than the Browns) should know how limiting being left with bottom of the league Quarterbacking is. 

Here is a fact.  QBs are paid beyond their value in the NFL, because the alternative is generally worse.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Trey Lance-North Dakota State

Justin Fields-Ohio State

Jamie Newman-Georgia

Brock Purdy-Iowa State

Sam Ehlinger-Texas

Tanner Morgan-Minnesota

Trevor Lawrence too, no?