EDIT: Hyde(#10) White(#3) and Edmunds(#7) with high ranks from ESPN

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Dawkins was 14 OT (left and right) and Diggs 11 as well. The safeties are tomorrow. I’d expect Poyer to land in that top 15 somewhere.

Just tossed the safeties into this thread... no poyer, but hyde came in at 10.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Just tossed the safeties into this thread... no poyer, but hyde came in at 10.

I think that is about right. I said during the season I thought Hyde was somewhere between the 8th and 12th best safety in the NFL. I have always been a fan - thought he was one of the most underappreciated players in the league when he was at Green Bay. A victim of his own versatility. I think Poyer is somewhere around 20th... but the two as a pair are a top 3 combo. The way they communicate and disguise coverages means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is about right. I said during the season I thought Hyde was somewhere between the 8th and 12th best safety in the NFL. I have always been a fan - thought he was one of the most underappreciated players in the league when he was at Green Bay. A victim of his own versatility. I think Poyer is somewhere around 20th... but the two as a pair are a top 3 combo. The way they communicate and disguise coverages means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

your conclusion there is really the most important point of all. not many, if any, duo's do it better than those 2.

i'd put poyer in that 15-20 range most likely. which is pretty solid considering there are 64 starting in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

our defense is young and in great shape for the next several years 

Tre white is a generational talent and needs to be paid whatever it takes to keep him here for the next decade. If Edmunds and Oliver all turn out to be all pro talents we have the 3 most important positions set. 

24 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Tre white is a generational talent and needs to be paid whatever it takes to keep him here for the next decade. If Edmunds and Oliver all turn out to be all pro talents we have the 3 most important positions set. 

Pretty sure DE is considered more important than DT. 

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Pretty sure DE is considered more important than DT. 

I actually heard a good point that a great DT could be more valuable than a great DE.  You can do things a lot easier to neutralize a really good DE (multiple blockers, RPOs, bootlegs away, chipping,etc).  Obviously you can double a DT but it opens up huge gaps in your protection or run game.  And qbs really struggle with pressure up the middle.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s surprised me some but I’m here for it

You like Poyer than Hyde?  I like both players al it but I think Hyde is the better all around player.  Poyer, who is really good, had some struggles in run support and gave up some plays in the pass game.  We’re nitpicking but if you had to make a choice, I go with Micah.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I actually heard a good point that a great DT could be more valuable than a great DE.  You can do things a lot easier to neutralize a really good DE (multiple blockers, RPOs, bootlegs away, chipping,etc).  Obviously you can double a DT but it opens up huge gaps in your protection or run game.  And qbs really struggle with pressure up the middle.  

That's a solid point. Only issue is a great DE can straight up win you the game sometimes. Kinda like how Mario used to man handle the Dolphins for us. Not saying a DT can't do it cause look at Donald. If Oliver turns out anywhere near that level than holy ***** QBs should be worried.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

DE is definitely the one cornerstone position we’re missing.  

QB - Allen

LT - Dawkins

WR - Diggs

CB - White

MLB - Edmunds

DE - ? 

The great news is that we’re ok for the next couple years with Addison/Hughes, while we find some young talent in the draft to add to Epenesa. 

Young(er) talent like Oliver, Poyer, Singletary, Knox, Milano are important, but not considered to be building block positions unless Oliver turns into Aaron Donald, Knox becomes Travis Kelce etc.. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You like Poyer than Hyde?  I like both players al it but I think Hyde is the better all around player.  Poyer, who is really good, had some struggles in run support and gave up some plays in the pass game.  We’re nitpicking but if you had to make a choice, I go with Micah.

i agree that an argument can be made that an elite interior rusher can be just as, if not more, valuable than and edge rusher.

Just now, Gambit said:

That's a solid point. Only issue is a great DE can straight up win you the game sometimes. Kinda like how Mario used to man handle the Dolphins for us. Not saying a DT can't do it cause look at Donald. If Oliver turns out anywhere near that level than holy ***** QBs should be worried.

Good point.  I also think the issue is DTs are such big guys, they struggle to stay in proper shape.  Most DEs are specimens.  A lot of DTs after they get paid start sucking. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

QB - Allen

LT - Dawkins

WR - Diggs

CB - White

MLB - Edmunds

DE - ? 

The great news is that we’re ok for the next couple years with Addison/Hughes, while we find some young talent in the draft to add to Epenesa. 

Young(er) talent like Oliver, Poyer, Singletary, Knox, Milano are important, but not considered to be building block positions unless Oliver turns into Aaron Donald, Knox becomes Travis Kelce etc.. 

It all comes down to Allen.  Last year, this team could make the playoffs with below to average qb play.  This year, I don’t know if that’s the case.  This team has a playoff roster.  If Allen is legit, they have a SB team. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm not sure how anyone can think Poyer is better. For me it's not even remotely close. Poyer to me is a liability in the run game. The guy can't tackle. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good point.  I also think the issue is DTs are such big guys, they struggle to stay in proper shape.  Most DEs are specimens.  A lot of DTs after they get paid start sucking. 

It all comes down to Allen.  Last year, this team could make the playoffs with below to average qb play.  This year, I don’t know if that’s the case.  This team has a playoff roster.  If Allen is legit, they have a SB team. 

Agreed - I think the others (Diggs, Edmunds, Dawkins and White) all have proven to be/have the potential to become Top 10, potentially Top 5 guys at their position.  

Allen still has to show that.  If he comes anywhere close to the Top 10 discussion at QB, I don’t know too many teams that can beat us.  

Even if we just get two more check-down/easy completions per game, and one more completed deep ball per game - that takes Allen to 60%+ completion percentage and over 300 yards passing per, with likely, an additional 5-6 ppg on average from what we saw last year.  

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do like Poyer more at this point. I get that others prefer Hyde. Poyer just makes more plays. I guess the flip side is that Hyde prevents a lot of big plays. I’m really happy to have both but if I could only have one it would be Poyer for me.

17 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'm not sure how anyone can think Poyer is better. For me it's not even remotely close. Poyer to me is a liability in the run game. The guy can't tackle. 

I know stats aren’t everything for a safety but he does have a lot of tackles for the position. He has 302 tackles over the last 3 years. I can’t post the graphic here but there are a lot of plays being made on his end.

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

QB - Allen

LT - Dawkins

WR - Diggs

CB - White

MLB - Edmunds

DE - ? 

A top flight DT is a building block. It isn't just Donald. Witness the Chris Jones contract, Fletcher Cox etc.. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Based on what's been leaked so far (and some of it has proven to be incorrect, so maybe others will be too), it looks like an 80-81 would slot Edmunds in around 18th or 19th best at the LB position.

Also, White was revealed to be a 90 overall instead of an 89 and 5th best in the game after initially being reported as an 89.

What we're talking strictly middle linebacker rankings

Because there's pass-rushing outside linebackers that have high overalls that would probably be dumping him down

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What we're talking strictly middle linebacker rankings

Because there's pass-rushing outside linebackers that have high overalls that would probably be dumping him down

Strictly off-ball linebackers. Each team's top 10 players was leaked (though some overalls have been different already such as Tre being a 90 instead of the reported 89), but based on that relatively limited sample of players:

1 Bobby Wagner 98
2 Lavonte David 90
3 Eric Kendricks 89
4 Demario Davis 89
5 Dont’a Hightower 88
6 Fred Warner 87
7 Deion Jones 86
8 Darius Leonard 85
9 C.J. Mosley 85
10 Roquan Smith 83
11 Leighton Vander Esch 83
12 Jamie Collins 83
13 Avery Williamson 83
14 Benardrick McKinney 82
15 Joe Schobert 82
16 Anthony Barr 82
17 Myles Jack 81
18 K.J. Wright 81
19 Isaiah Simmons 78
20 Raekwon McMillan 76

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Strictly off-ball linebackers. Each team's top 10 players was leaked (though some overalls have been different already such as Tre being a 90 instead of the reported 89), but based on that relatively limited sample of players:

1 Bobby Wagner 98
2 Lavonte David 90
3 Eric Kendricks 89
4 Demario Davis 89
5 Dont’a Hightower 88
6 Fred Warner 87
7 Deion Jones 86
8 Darius Leonard 85
9 C.J. Mosley 85
10 Roquan Smith 83
11 Leighton Vander Esch 83
12 Jamie Collins 83