Derrick Henry new deal

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I don’t want to sound like I’m writing off the Titans. Tannehill deserves credit for last season. They just seem like the type of team that needs a lot to go right to maintain their success. Henry needs to remain elite, and Tannehill needs to keep showing this new and improved version of himself. I don’t fully trust the Tannehill of old won’t return and/or Henry won’t continue to play at such an elite level. 

Tannehill is a mirror.  He shows you exactly what your team is.  If you put a good team around him, you’ve got a good team.  If you put a bad team around him, you’ve got a bad team.  He doesn’t make you any better or worse. He’s Alex Smith, Jimmy G, Derek Carr, etc.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TuelTime said:

Worth every penny. The type of RB that will win a Super Bowl.

Who's the last RB that lead their team to a SB?  Maybe Jamal Lewis about 20 years ago.  

Recently, large contract extensions to RBs have not gone well, although perhaps this will turn out different.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

The issue with the Titans is that they got close enough and they have solid enough of a roster that they have no choice but to double down. Maybe they lose to the Ravens or Chiefs or Bills the next two years in the postseason and never get back to the ACFCG, but they can't just blow it up.

True.  If they went all in on Tannehill, they can't let Henry walk.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

The issue with the Titans is that they got close enough and they have solid enough of a roster that they have no choice but to double down. Maybe they lose to the Ravens or Chiefs or Bills the next two years in the postseason and never get back to the ACFCG, but they can't just blow it up.

No need to blow it up.  Just have him play under the franchise tag of $10M.  Then reassess.

Edited by Doc

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Good deal for both teams.  I don’t like paying rbs big bucks but he brings something different to the table.  He didn’t break the bank but he’ll be taken care of

Sure - but for how long?

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

No need to blow it up.  Just have him play under the franchise tag of $10M.  Then re-assess.

2.5 M more to get him to not hold out is a small bit.  Without him, all the money invested at QB is certainly wasted.

people love to say that you can just get a rb anyhwere in the draft or off the street when you really can't.  plenty of guys drafted are misses.  Rashad penny was a miss amongst others.  You pay for the guranteed talent for the next two years with henry. They need to watch those carries with him cause having so many this past year does not bode well for longterm success.  The great rbs can produce at elite level for a long time, the average ones are the ones you don't pay.  

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

people love to say that you can just get a rb anyhwere in the draft or off the street when you really can't.  plenty of guys drafted are misses.  Rashad penny was a miss amongst others.  You pay for the guranteed talent for the next two years with henry. They need to watch those carries with him cause having so many this past year does not bode well for longterm success.  The great rbs can produce at elite level for a long time, the average ones are the ones you don't pay.  

Teams built around a strong run game.  Can't make that a weakness and expect to replicate last seasons success.  There is no one really behind him but a rookie, and they were in the AFC championship a year ago - you can't take a chance that he'll sit games out.

16 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

It doesn't make sense for the Titans. You are paying top price, with no idea of how bad the financial situation will be next season and a seriously good rookie just drafted. Very few recent big contracts have been worth the money. They should have just kept the tag. 

it's basically a 2 year deal. Nothing to stress over

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree Doc, but it probably would be a different story sans covid19 imo.

I don't know.  The position has been devalued and while he had a great season last year, it was a contract year, and you don't want to give someone else the chance to make you expendable.  Look at Bell.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't know.  The position has been devalued and while he had a great season last year, it was a contract year, and you don't want to give someone else the chance to make you expendable.  Look at Bell.

Oh very true but Henry is a very special sort of player/person. Jmo.