Derrick Henry new deal

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good deal for both teams.  I don’t like paying rbs big bucks but he brings something different to the table.  He didn’t break the bank but he’ll be taken care of

Every time I sign a deal for $25.5 mil guaranteed, I call it a good day. :)

I’m with you on spending big $$$ on RB’s - but I promise I wouldn’t want to tackle that beast!!!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good for him.  He led the league and was a beast.  They I think by what I read can get out without huge penalty after two years.  If he can take that punishment, god bless him and hope he sees it out.  He is fun to watch as he beats up defenses.

Now selfishly, can Moss be that guy.  Not all the carries as I love Singletary, but in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a good player and a decent guy.  I understand why the Titans gave him a big contract.  As tough as he is, he has taken a bunch of big time hits.  Everyone likes to focus on his straight arm use and big runs but they don't think about all of the times he gets stopped initially and the second tackler blows him up.  He is fun to watch and I hope he holds up long enough to get most of the value from his contract.  I agree with some of the other posts about not wanting to pay a RB big money when good talent is available on rookie deals.  Managing the cap becomes increasingly harder when the RB is one of the top paid guys on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

It doesn't make sense for the Titans. You are paying top price, with no idea of how bad the financial situation will be next season and a seriously good rookie just drafted. Very few recent big contracts have been worth the money. They should have just kept the tag. 

He is a great player and an even better person. When he was at the combines, he went to visit terminally ill kids in a children's hospital. 

I had the pleasure of watching every play that he was in at the University of Alabama. He was great the second that he took the field. If not for the pandemic he would have received a bigger contract and would be worth every dime.

Congrats Derrick. You deserve every penny and more. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

It doesn't make sense for the Titans. You are paying top price, with no idea of how bad the financial situation will be next season and a seriously good rookie just drafted. Very few recent big contracts have been worth the money. They should have just kept the tag. 

I bet they have some idea what to expect of the cap 

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

He's a good player and a decent guy.  I understand why the Titans gave him a big contract.  As tough as he is, he has taken a bunch of big time hits.  Everyone likes to focus on his straight arm use and big runs but they don't think about all of the times he gets stopped initially and the second tackler blows him up.  He is fun to watch and I hope he holds up long enough to get most of the value from his contract.  I agree with some of the other posts about not wanting to pay a RB big money when good talent is available on rookie deals.  Managing the cap becomes increasingly harder when the RB is one of the top paid guys on the team.

I can’t criticize the move, but I’m in the never pay a RB big money camp myself. I’m sure the Titans have more faith in themselves as a franchise than I do. I don’t see them repeating their success from last season anytime soon, and they might want to start spending in other areas if they do falter. He certainly doesn’t shy away from contact, and those type of players longevity always scares me. I think he can repeat last years success, but he’s the type of back I could see declining quickly. If they get at least two

more elite seasons, I’d call it a win for the team. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I can’t criticize the move, but I’m in the never pay a RB big money camp myself. I’m sure the Titans have more faith in themselves as a franchise than I do. I don’t see them repeating their success from last season anytime soon, and they might want to start spending in other areas if they do falter. He certainly doesn’t shy away from contact, and those type of players longevity always scares me. I think he can repeat last years success, but he’s the type of back I could see declining quickly. If they get at least two

more elite seasons, I’d call it a win for the team. 

The issue with the Titans is that they got close enough and they have solid enough of a roster that they have no choice but to double down. Maybe they lose to the Ravens or Chiefs or Bills the next two years in the postseason and never get back to the ACFCG, but they can't just blow it up.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 3

Not as bad as the 62 million guaranteed they gave Tannehill but committing that much to a one dimensional RB is a mistake.  Especially given his running style and heavy usage.  I'm happy for Henry though.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The issue with the Titans is that they got close enough and they have solid enough of a roster that they have no choice but to double down. Maybe they lose to the Ravens or Chiefs or Bills the next two years in the postseason and never get back to the ACFCG, but they can't just blow it up.

I agree, it’s just the idea of a heavy investment in a long term contract on a team led by Ryan Tannehill that would frighten me. Tannehill played well in his role as a game manager who made plays when they needed him. His numbers didn’t need to be great with a player like Henry carrying the team. Tannehill’s most important attribute was his ability to not make mistakes. I’m not convinced that he can repeat that success again, without the mistake prone Tannehill of the past reappearing. If Tannehill continues leaning on Henry, but starts making mistakes, that team declines in a hurry. I absolutely agree with you, they had to extend Henry, but I don’t count on the Titans being a contender in the future. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

I agree, it’s just the idea of a heavy investment in a long term contract on a team led by Ryan Tannehill that would frighten me. Tannehill played well in his role as a game manager who made plays when they needed him. His numbers didn’t need to be great with a player like Henry carrying the team. Tannehill’s most important attribute was his ability to not make mistakes. I’m not convinced that he can repeat that success again, without the mistake prone Tannehill of the past reappearing. If Tannehill continues leaning on Henry, but starts making mistakes, that team declines in a hurry. I absolutely agree with you, they had to extend Henry, but I don’t count on the Titans being a contender in the future. 

So the funny thing about Tannehill was that he statistically was among the best QB’s last year. Some of that was his role as a game manager as you said, but the switch to Tanny completely turned that season around.

It will be certainly interesting to see if he can keep that up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So the funny thing about Tannehill was that he statistically was among the best QB’s last year. Some of that was his role as a game manager as you said, but the switch to Tanny completely turned that season around.

It will be certainly interesting to see if he can keep that up.

Yeah, I don’t want to sound like I’m writing off the Titans. Tannehill deserves credit for last season. They just seem like the type of team that needs a lot to go right to maintain their success. Henry needs to remain elite, and Tannehill needs to keep showing this new and improved version of himself. I don’t fully trust the Tannehill of old won’t return and/or Henry won’t continue to play at such an elite level.