How does COVID affect the salary cap?

Augie

20 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Zeke had it, he said he had a little cough and a little shortness of breathe for a couple days.

Coincidentally, the virus doesn't seem to do very much to professional athletes or people in tip top physical shape.

Other than sprout nonsense right?  You have version if you say it does not hit professional athletes. We have a professional on board.

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Ok - guys slow down with the takes.

The NFL and NFLPA are having meetings to determine answers to all of these questions and more.

They have to determine and agree to thresholds for the games counting for this year and how to account for the loss of revenue.  To prevent a huge drop in the cap - they are discussing spreading the lost revenue out over 3-5 and even the next 10 years.  

Typically (as in other work stoppages) - the NFL just have to play games to get the TV revenue that was agreed to, but my guess is the NFL will be working with the stations to help cover if games go missing.

They also have to negotiate with the NFLPA the entire testing protocol and how teams are going to handle positive tests.  There was talk of maybe trying to negotiate AFC plays on even weeks and NFC on odd weeks to give teams 2 weeks between games to lessen the impact.

The NFL and NFLPA were hoping for some clear plan by the CDC or federal government to help guide their planning, but as that looks lost - they will have to hammer all of this out in a changing environment.

Until they come to agreements - everything else is just guessing and some may be right, but most will be wrong.

The bolded, then you go off on your own? 

I don’t know, and I said I don’t know.  I’m curious what others may think or know. This is a tricky time. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Von Miller says you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, if symptomatic, player will be out for at least 10 days since symptoms began and at least 72 hours since last symptomatic.  

Try that google.com.....

I get it. Rules are rules.

BUT.....

Hypothetically, if this virus keeps going into January and February and and the playoffs are on the line, you don't think a team will fudge some results for some players?

Maybe a shot of steroids before the game? Just saying.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Other than sprout nonsense right?  You have version if you say it does not hit professional athletes. We have a professional on board.

I never said that.

I said 'This virus will hit 350lb Joe Blow with diabetes in the 300 section a lot harder than any of the NFL players'

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, costrovs said:

BUT.....

Hypothetically, if this virus keeps going into January and February and and the playoffs are on the line, you don't think a team will fudge some results for some players?

I never said that.

I said 'This virus will hit 350lb Joe Blow with diabetes in the 300 section a lot harder than any of the NFL players'

What if the 350# Joe Blow is your nose tackle??? 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know, and I said I don’t know.  I’m curious what others may think or know. This is a tricky time. 

My take is that we don’t know because they have not come to an agreement yet on any of that.

All of the questions you asked are legitimate, but no one can really answer because they are still in discussions.  

WGR had a great interview yesterday talking about this and the journalist basically said there is a ton of speculation, but everything needs to be agreed to similar to a short term CBA because these are not part of the current CBA.

The NFL and NFLPA were meeting this week to begin discussions.  As they come to agreements you (and everyone else) will get answers.

Sorry if you do not like my answer, but it is the truth.  

Just now, Augie said:

What if the 350# Joe Blow is your nose tackle??? 

Then Joe Blow's gonna get some roids before the game. lol

I'm sure Joe Blow the NT and Joe Blow in the 300 section have different body types and workout regimens. You get the idea.

21 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

They also have to negotiate with the NFLPA the entire testing protocol and how teams are going to handle positive tests.  There was talk of maybe trying to negotiate AFC plays on even weeks and NFC on odd weeks to give teams 2 weeks between games to lessen the impact.

Teams play only 8 games in a season with players getting full salary or double the season?  Neither works out well.

What WOULD help would be altered schedule where teams play more in area.  Stupid to be playing East vs West in this environment.

13 minutes ago, costrovs said:

BUT.....

I never said that.

You also said this...

39 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Coincidentally, the virus doesn't seem to do very much to professional athletes or people in tip top physical shape.

And no team is going to be "fudging the results".  That's insane.  Players have access to their results from the labs that do them.  

You're off the rails.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He did not say that.  Someone hacked his account or he has multiple personalities.

Where did I say that the virus doesn't hit professional athletes?

Von Miller and Zeke's symptoms are VERY different than what an 80 year old will get, or a diabetic.

Hell, a 70+ year old can die from the normal flu.

Von Miller's was worse than Zeke's. Von has Asthma, of course his symptoms will be worse.

Can a professional athlete get it really bad? SURE.

but they have a lot less of a chance than other people.

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

My take is that we don’t know because they have not come to an agreement yet on any of that.

All of the questions you asked are legitimate, but no one can really answer because they are still in discussions.  

WGR had a great interview yesterday talking about this and the journalist basically said there is a ton of speculation, but everything needs to be agreed to similar to a short term CBA because these are not part of the current CBA.

The NFL and NFLPA were meeting this week to begin discussions.  As they come to agreements you (and everyone else) will get answers.

Sorry if you do not like my answer, but it is the truth.  

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not whether I like it or not. I have questions. I’m sure that to some extent the current CBA addresses some $%#^ like this that could not be anticipated. I wonder what that language is. I wonder what those terms are. I wonder how much wiggle room exists.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And no team is going to be "fudging the results".  That's insane.  Players have access to their results from the labs that do them.  

You're off the rails.

Really?

Spygate? Deflategate? Fudging numbers, results, etc.. lt happens all the time.

Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You don't think other teams do this type of stuff?

The symptoms are similar to the flu. If a player feels fine, but tests positive, BOOM! Shot of roids and back into the game.

Welcome to the real world of sports.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Teams play only 8 games in a season with players getting full salary or double the season?  Neither works out well.

What WOULD help would be altered schedule where teams play more in area.  Stupid to be playing East vs West in this environment.

It is not what I would do - just some of the discussion talked about on WGR to try to help teams address the 10-14 days away with a positive test.  If they do not look at the schedule - the discussion on WGR is what happens when your WR is positive on a meeting day or in position work-out and now potentially all WRs on your team need to sit for 10 days and test negative 2 times prior to clearing.  

The NFL and NFLPA would need to agree to an altered schedule and how that impacts contracts and if the want to stretch out the season or what.

As far as they talked yesterday - the first thing they need to agree on is testing frequency and where that cost is coming from - the NFLPA was asking for daily tests for all players - which would be a huge cost.  They also have to decide on where and type of testing as the NFLPA was hoping to use a saliva test rather than a swab.

45 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Really?

Spygate? Deflategate? Fudging numbers, results, etc.. lt happens all the time.

Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You don't think other teams do this type of stuff?

The symptoms are similar to the flu. If a player feels fine, but tests positive, BOOM! Shot of roids and back into the game.

Welcome to the real world of sports.

Man you got it ALL figured out!

38 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The NFLPA is never cooperative with contracts.  What they cannot get in agreement they take to court.

Oh yeah?

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Augie, it was a good question on a lot of people’s minds.  There should be football without fans so that is 70% roughly of the revenue from the tv contracts.  They may be able to make up a small portion with a Saturday contract with the networks.  College most likely will not play until the Spring.  College ball needs fans in the seats to pay for most of their sports programs as evidenced by so many universities cancelling sports this season in the other sports as football pays for these programs.

There are billions of dollars on the line and the players want to play to get paid.  Augie, you’re right, there has been a lot of discussion of spreading out the cap loss over multiple years.  Also, the NFLPA won’t go for it, but the NFL also floated holding back 35% of this year’s salaries for players, meaning they still get every last dime, just delayed to deal with the loss.  Bottom line is the owners will take it partially on the chin, but still one of the safest investments for a billionaire as each team is almost assured of a profit.  It’s just a matter of how profitable.

Anyway, again, good question Augs, and a good discussion.

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not whether I like it or not. I have questions. I’m sure that to some extent the current CBA addresses some $%#^ like this that could not be anticipated. I wonder what that language is. I wonder what those terms are. I wonder how much wiggle room exists.  

All the wiggle room they need exists. There is no force mejeure clause. But there is a clause that says if there is a significant cap drop because of missed games then both sides are bound to work out an agreement that is fair to both sides. Everything after that is speculation because nobody knows right now exactly what's going to happen yet. When it does happen then they will have solid numbers to work with. And yes it's been discussed and seems most likely that any significant drop in next year's cap would most likely be agreed to spread it out over several years.

Now if the season were to be totally cancelled that would certainly be an obstacle. Without a force mejeure clause it will become an ugly battle with most likely protracted court decisions, etc. But again, nobody knows. There are no simple answers to these questions right now. Wait and see is pretty much all we can do at this point.

Here's pretty much the only language in the CBA, and it leaves a wide open field of what ultimately may or may not happen. 

NOTE: The term "AR" refers to "All Revenue" as defined in the CBA as the amount agreed upon each year on which to base the salary cap-

(xii) Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

All the wiggle room they need exists. There is no force mejeure clause. But there is a clause that says if there is a significant cap drop because of missed games then both sides are bound to work out an agreement that is fair to both sides. Everything after that is speculation because nobody knows right now exactly what's going to happen yet. When it does happen then they will have solid numbers to work with. And yes it's been discussed and seems most likely that any significant drop in next year's cap would most likely be agreed to spread it out over several years.

Now if the season were to be totally cancelled that would certainly be an obstacle. Without a force mejeure clause it will become an ugly battle with most likely protracted court decisions, etc. But again, nobody knows. There are no simple answers to these questions right now. Wait and see is pretty much all we can do at this point.

Here's pretty much the only language in the CBA, and it leaves a wide open field of what ultimately may or may not happen. 

NOTE: The term "AR" refers to "All Revenue" as defined in the CBA as the amount agreed upon each year on which to base the salary cap-

(xii) Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.

Thanks! There are so many aspects to this and so many unknowns. I guess all we really know for sure is that a bunch of attorneys are going to make a fortune while they work to figure this out.  It’s difficult to even guess at this point, since there is no way of knowing how far this season gets, or if it even starts. With so much money at stake, you know they’ll give it their best shot. 

• Like (+1) 1