Is the contract Addison got the same one they offered Lawson?

I was on Spotrac the other day looking at the FA tracker just to get up to speed on who went where and all that. And I noticed that both Mario Addison and Shaq Lawson received deals that are for three years and $30 million. Guaranteed money for Addison is about $15 mil, while Lawson has $20 mil guaranteed with a larger first-year salary cap hit. I'm assuming the guaranteed money from Miami was more than what Buffalo offered him. 

I get that Addison has been more productive but he's entering the backside of his career while it seems like Lawson kinda turned the corner last season and is entering his prime as he just turned 26 last month. I understand they view Addison as a leader and they certainly love their vets. But we know Shaq was seen as a solid locker room guy and emerging leader as well. 

I guess they figure Addison can continue to produce at the level he has or at least match the numbers Shaq put up in 2019. 

I like both players and I'm not salty that they didn't retain Shaq. I guess I'm just throwing out a hypothetical scenario and saying I might've ponied up the additional $5 mil that Shaq got from Miami to keep him here as it seemed like he was finally coming into his own and he's at that prime age. 

Just some random thoughts.

Edited by blacklabel

What did Addison's numbers look like in the years prior to FA like 2 to 3 years back.  Shaq looked solid last year, but prior, not very good.  Maybe he just looked good for the contract.  Same could be true for Addison as I don't know what is 2017 and 2018 number of sacks, etc looked like. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What did Addison's numbers look like in the years prior to FA like 2 to 3 years back.  Shaq looked solid last year, but prior, not very good.  Maybe he just looked good for the contract.  Same could be true for Addison as I don't know what is 2017 and 2018 number of sacks, etc looked like. 

He's had at least 9 sacks since 2016, with his high of 11 sacks coming in 2017.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Well, he asked, you answered! I’d have been fine with either. I really like our front office and most of our coaching staff. Some are wait and see.....hopefully. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Let Miami watch a just-paid Shaq hit the breaks and go back to half-assing it like he had until his contract year.

False. Once he got better coaching than what Sexy Rexy provided, Shaq played better. Just like the rest of the D, Rex didn't put Shaq in a position to succeed.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

False. Once he got better coaching than what Sexy Rexy provided, Shaq played better. Just like the rest of the D, Rex didn't put Shaq in a position to succeed.

False. Rex was gone 3 seasons ago. Lawson’s awakening came last year.  Noticing this, McD and Beane said “adios”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Addison has actually been getting better as he has gotten older

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

False. Rex was gone 3 seasons ago. Lawson’s awakening came last year.  Noticing this, McD and Beane said “adios”.

I know when Rex left. Shaq started playing better from the time McD got here, not just last year. 

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

I know when Rex left. Shaq started playing better from the time McD got here, not just last year. 

Nope.  Were that true they would have kept him.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

And there ya go, out performed Lawson over the last Four years, at 5 million less guaranteed..., as posted above, “trust me **iches”. Lawsons history says contract year guy, and that is likely Beane’s assessment,  just sayin. Yes he might be above average going forward, but three years of okay ish, and one year of actually performing says a lot. It was a business decision, nothin personal. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nope.  Were that true they would have kept him.  

We have more important priorities. We have Josh, Dion etc. to think about. Addison's contract is 1-2 yrs. We weren't signing Shaq to a long term deal. Not worth it. That doesn't mean he only played hard in his contract year. That is false.

Edited by Dopey

15 minutes ago, Dopey said:

We have more important priorities. We have Josh, Dion etc. to think about. Addison's contract is 1-2 yrs. We weren't signing Shaq to a long term deal. Not worth it. That doesn't mean he only played hard in his contract year. That is false.

It's actually true and was the topic  of countless threads before they they let him walk.   He played much better his contract year.

Lawson didn't sign a "long term deal"--it's only 3 years.

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's actually true and was the topic  of countless threads before they they let him walk.   He played much better his contract year.

Lawson didn't sign a "long term deal"--it's only 3 years.

I agree he played better in his last year. He should have played well. It was his 3rd year in the system. His numbers are pretty much the same for his 3 healthy seasons with us though. All I'm saying is this characterization of him playing "hard" only in his contract year isn't true. IMO.

I was surprised he signed for only 3 years. Guess he's gambling on getting one more big contract before he's too old.