Free Agent or Trade? One more baby!

Frez

The Bills are in great shape now, and for the future.  They have a few players who are getting paid more than they're worth, but no one getting the kind of money some of the other teams are handing out (see: Myles Garrett, Chris Jones).  But, in a couple of years, some of their B+/A- players are going to need to get paid.  All those good drafts lead to tough decisions, and some of the good players will walk away as FAs (and they'll get rich somewhere else), but for the Bills they'll have to be replaced by cheap labor: rookies.

• Like (+1) 1

With the cap going down by about 30% unless they add a Saturday tv revenue contract (won’t be much but something), a good cap situation currently, a stacked team, and draft picks will be gold next year, my vote is no.  Njoku is no better than Knox, Clowney is a bust at this point, and as much as I’m not crazy about Murphy, he was better than Clowney at the end of the year.

I don't see a big splash, not with having to re-sign Milano, Dawkins, etc.

I could see the Njoku move, though I'm not sure a 5th gets him. A 3rd, yeah, maybe. He was pretty productive last year.

More likely is another smaller move or two including maybe trading away a couple of bubble guys for late draft picks. Not to mention moves compensating for future injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

What is the one big piece the Bills are missing? Right now I would rather wait until the season (hopefully) begins and save draft/trade capital to replace an injured player or fill an unexpected hole. I don't know what is the one "big" piece this team is missing. 

It would be nice to add a prime TE or a big time DE. But Knox could easily develop and the rotation at DE could be more than good. Corner opposite Tre could be an issue but I would rather see what that crop has before putting assets into that unit. 

Outside of a modest mid round pick trade for Njoku I don't see any trade out there worth pursuing. Clowney would be a nice addition but I am not sure he would fit here or make the requisite impact. 

Overall I think this team should wait to make a big "all in" type move. For one there might not be a need to deplete future draft assets and secondly what we think is a weakness now might not be a weakness and what we now think of as a strength might need help. 

This team is solid all around nothing major is needed until we see them play and see what injuries occur. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Who are we going to get when we literally are going to cut players that are going to play for other teams once they are cut

Jadaveon Clowney or the rusher from Jacksonville in a trade. They are the only two serious names I think that are both available and make us better. And yes we would have to cut Trent Murphy to sign them.... but seriously.... that is such a huge upgrade you do it every single time. I'm not sure I'd have Murphy on the squad even if I don't sign those guys. I feel better about edge with AJ in the fold than I did pre-draft but it is still the one "premium" position where I don't think the Bills have a top level guy (or a potential top level guy).

I find it quite remarkable that so many people are saying "Stand pat, the roster's good enough already."  That's pretty much my view.  

I don't want them to buy a star like Clowney. His price tag will reflect that he's supposed to be a standout player, but McDermott wants blend-in guys, not stand-out guys.  

Players whose salary is at the franchise-tag level are usually overpaid, and they also often have inflated egos.  If their current teams aren't willing to pay them at the level they want, it means that the player is contributing less to the success of the team than the player thinks he's contributing.  In other words, the player thinks he's a star and his team doesn't. That's not a McDermott-kind-of-guy. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

With the cap going down by about 30% unless they add a Saturday tv revenue contract (won’t be much but something), a good cap situation currently, a stacked team, and draft picks will be gold next year, my vote is no.  Njoku is no better than Knox, Clowney is a bust at this point, and as much as I’m not crazy about Murphy, he was better than Clowney at the end of the year.

Wait...what?

Anyway, there won't be more money for Saturday games.  The contracts exists as they are through 2022 season.   There won't be Saturday games if there are any FCS games played.

15 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

No team is going to trade for draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Or, a wise team could trade for them and potentially acquire picks for a heavily discounted rate.  That's what I would do.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Or, a wise team could trade for them and potentially acquire picks for a heavily discounted rate.  That's what I would do.

Yeah I kinda figured it would be atleast the 1 round downgrade that usually is discounted for picks a year out

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jadaveon Clowney or the rusher from Jacksonville in a trade. They are the only two serious names I think that are both available and make us better. And yes we would have to cut Trent Murphy to sign them.... but seriously.... that is such a huge upgrade you do it every single time. I'm not sure I'd have Murphy on the squad even if I don't sign those guys. I feel better about edge with AJ in the fold than I did pre-draft but it is still the one "premium" position where I don't think the Bills have a top level guy (or a potential top level guy).

And the TE from the browns :)

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gunner you dont think AJ might have Watt type potential?  I see a lot of Watt's game in AJ

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Beane never sleeps.  If a player improves Bills roster, and the value is there, he will make the deal.  Beane is turning over every rock,

This is my impression also. If it improves the roster and a fair but not exorbitant price he'll likely pull the trigger.  No obvious holes to fill though. Which is Nice for a change!

On 7/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Clowney. Cut Murphy

I wonder if any trades made now will be conditional on the season starting or a certain number of games player. It would be silly to trade for a player now in exchange for a 2021 draft pick. There may be no season played and you would be out a draft pick 

You don't think it's strange that NOBODY wants Clowney? He's an average player. Three sacks last year. And that was a "prove it" year for him.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:04 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

No team is going to trade for draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Yea, ok 

they’d hate cheap talent next year 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

You don't think it's strange that NOBODY wants Clowney? He's an average player. Three sacks last year. And that was a "prove it" year for him.

I think not being able to work out with teams all offseason hurt badly 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:28 PM, John from Riverside said:

And the TE from the browns :)

Gunner you dont think AJ might have Watt type potential?  I see a lot of Watt's game in AJ

Jesus John, straight to Jj watt potential?