Chiefs, star DT Chris Jones reach four-year deal worth up to $85 million per source

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Where is the $ coming from?   I thought they were cap strapped 

Good teams find a way. It's up to the GM to figure out how to make it work. Us fans should just enjoy it. Something us "Cash-to-Cap" abused Bills fans will need to get used to.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good teams find a way. It's up to the GM to figure out how to make it work. Us fans should just enjoy it. Something us "Cash-to-Cap" abused Bills fans will need to get used to.

We will be heading that was soon enough. Once we need to start re-signing all of our young stars like Allen, White, Edmunds etc. Beane spent the past couple of seasons freeing up cap space and accumulating young talent, but eventual he will have to pay the piper. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fans should start preparing the “Ed Oliver shouldn’t be paid more than Chris Jones” takes for 2 years from now.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

They must have turned the salary cap option off before starting this season. I wonder if they even play on all madden.

Serious question, and maybe worth it’s own thread: What does COVID do to the cap? No fans, maybe no games? If you know what comes from that, I’d love to hear it. I’ve heard they are talking about taking the shared revenue/cap hit over one year, or maybe 5-10 years. As a player I’d love to get my money right now. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Fans should start preparing the “Ed Oliver shouldn’t be paid more than Chris Jones” takes for 2 years from now.

Ed still has a lot to prove 

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting, I didn't expect him to stay in KC. This reminded me that Tyreek Hill also signed some crazy "highest paid in the league" extension last year too so I really have no idea how this math works. I guess they've potentially got a lot of skill players on rookie contracts. I'm taking a look at their depth chart and I also haven't heard of any of the Chiefs current linebackers so there's that too. Secondary looks pretty rough as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

Interesting, I didn't expect him to stay in KC. This reminded me that Tyreek Hill also signed some crazy "highest paid in the league" extension last year too so I really have no idea how this math works. I guess they've potentially got a lot of skill players on rookie contracts. I'm taking a look at their depth chart and I also haven't heard of any of the Chiefs current linebackers so there's that too. Secondary looks pretty rough as well.

Yea, they’re linebackers and secondary almost looks like a list of random PS guys.  

DL has some serious talent and the offense is obviously bonkers with Mahomes, a decent OL and Kelce, Hill, Hardman, Watkins, Williams and CEH. 

Feels weird to type that offensive talent out and feel like we’re close with the skill surrounding Allen now. 

Edited by SCBills

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, they’re linebackers and secondary almost looks like a list of random PS guys.  

DL has some serious talent and the offense is obviously bonkers with Mahomes, a decent OL and Kelce, Hill, Hardman, Watkins, Williams and CEH. 

Feels weird to type that offensive talent out and feel like we’re close with the skill surrounding Allen now. 

It feels even weirder that we can discuss Kansas City as being legitimate competition! That's why I'm trying to poke some holes. I'd take our backs as well, but the Mahomes-Kelce-Hill trio is absurd and easily the most dangerous offensive combo in the league.

I can almost guarantee Sammy flakes out this year (or whatever our next "year" is) after his postseason last year and that incredibly weird interview he did shortly after. I'm a fan of the guy and his talent, it's just a feeling. He already talked about taking some time off in that same interview. If he plays I can see him easily being the same inconsistent weirdo that he's known for being - goes off for 184 yards in some important game but then catches three balls over the next four games. Give me John Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Call us when Oliver gets confused with Chris Jones...

I know who played better as a rookie..... clearly how Oliver progresses remains to be seen.

As for the general point.... this is what good teams do. Good teams are consistently up against the cap and manipulating it to suit their needs. You win nothing with cap space. Cap space is a means to an end. When you have Mahomes, Jones, Kelce, Hill, Fisher, Schwartz, Mathieu and Clark under contract you don't need a ton of cap space. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Him and honey badger are the only good defensive players they have at this point. their defense is a considerable weakness 

Frank Clark too. I am not a huge Clark fan (certainly don't think he is elite) and you could argue he is slightly overpaid but he is a good player. 

Their other safety as well who they took in the 2019 draft (name escapes me) is a good player and had a good rookie season.

They are bad at corner still and didn't address it before day 3 in the draft (I'd have gone there at #32 thought the LSU tailback was a luxury pick, but when you are Superbowl Champions you can afford a bit of luxury). 

The one really bad contract on the Chiefs is for Hitchens at linebacker. The overpaid for him in free agency a couple of years back and he is at best a league average player at his spot. They can get out of it after this season and if Willie Gay has anything like a decent rookie year I expect they will.