Browns and Garrett agree on 5 year 125 million extension

Greg S

Difficult to see the need to make this big of a move this early, and for a defensive player on a middling team.  What's the big downside by waiting another year (or even two)?  Especially for someone like him - where one more on field incident will equal a ban of a year or maybe even more.

Seems like a very Browns-like thing to do.  Why not throw another couple years on OBJ's contract while you're at it?  He's another stable fellow...

Getting paid before the cap goes down is not a horrible move. As a team, holding off a bit might make some sense. I’d want the sure money and a lifetime of financial security works for me. The difference between $100 mil and $130 mil won’t change my life much. I’m rich for generations regardless. 

That’s one reason I like Mahomes and his deal more that ever. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Oh please.  90% of the league would be in jail if it were judged by actions on the field. 

He lost over a million dollars because of the incident.  That's a hell of a fine for assault.  Funny how Rudolph wasn't fined a penny  .....hum....  Rudloph is trying to pass on 3 and 30 with seconds left in the game.  Gets taken down and then tries to rip off Garretts helmet.  Then, after Garrett rips his off the idiot charges after him helmet less when Garrett is clearly backing away from the situation. 

If Rudolph conked a helmetless Garrett, he'd be out of this league and every black player in the league would've stomped his butthole through his mouth blee dat:unsure:

4 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Oh please.  90% of the league would be in jail if it were judged by actions on the field. 

He lost over a million dollars because of the incident.  That's a hell of a fine for assault.  Funny how Rudolph wasn't fined a penny  .....hum....  Rudloph is trying to pass on 3 and 30 with seconds left in the game.  Gets taken down and then tries to rip off Garretts helmet.  Then, after Garrett rips his off the idiot charges after him helmet less when Garrett is clearly backing away from the situation. 

I'm genuinely amazed that anyone watches what happened on that play and somehow still manages to blame it on Rudolph and defend Garrett.

• Like (+1) 6

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

.....hum....  Rudloph is trying to pass on 3 and 30 with seconds left in the game.  Gets taken down and then tries to rip off Garretts helmet.  Then, after Garrett rips his off the idiot charges after him helmet less when Garrett is clearly backing away from the situation. 

Wow.

8 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Cool, so the guy should be jailed, tared, feathered, executed, banned from the league.  Got it.  He was suspended, lost his salary.  That's good enough.  And Rudolph definitely deserved something for his role.

Rudolph deserved nothing more than an in-game penalty. Rudolph was fined, but I don't think he deserved a fine, personally.

Garret got what he deserved. I don't think he should be in jail like some are saying.

1 hour ago, Cruiserplayer said:

With all the uncertainty why aren’t teams signing players on % of cap with guaranteed $?

Maybe the players want more certainty and wouldn't agree to that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, njbuff said:

So did the Bears right after the Browns.

Bears fans are foaming at the mouth over that one.

I don't feel sorry for them. We traded the pick away.

As far as Garrett goes, I always call BS and smh when the NFL runs commercials about how much they care about player safety.  If they really did, a dude that ripped off another dude's helmet and proceeds to beat him over the head with it, provoked or not, would be banished IMHO.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, njbuff said:

The tradeoff is the Bills are happy with the progression of their QB (even though the fans are totally impatient with him) and the Bears have a mess on their hands with their QB situation.

Can Trubisky be salvaged? Who knows.

like Josh, if Mitchell's receivers could catch the football ?, would look a lot better.

Edited by reddogblitz

On 7/15/2020 at 12:25 AM, MJS said:

Rudolph deserved nothing more than an in-game penalty. Rudolph was fined, but I don't think he deserved a fine, personally.

Garret got what he deserved. I don't think he should be in jail like some are saying.

Maybe the players want more certainty and wouldn't agree to that.

Guaranteed money is guaranteed.  Cap% is not guaranteed, and no one wants a contract where the bonus ranges from x-y.  They want the bonus to be a specific dollar, same with salaries.