Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

Sabres??  I am not sure if there has been any other instance where two pro sports names were in the same city at the same time other than the St Louis Cardinals in football and baseball until the football team moved to Phoenix.

28 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

please be advised this is sarcasm. 

Good idea, I should mention that my post is sarcasm as well.

11 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Sabres??  I am not sure if there has been any other instance where two pro sports names were in the same city at the same time other than the St Louis Cardinals in football and baseball until the football team moved to Phoenix.

New York Giants?

Ridiculous thread for reasons already covered, but if we're playing the slipper slope game I'd say there's a pretty good list of pro sports teams that are well ahead of the Bills:

• Cleveland Indians
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • Atlanta Braves
  • Kansas city Chiefs
  • San Francisco 49ers

Who am I missing?

2 minutes ago, disco said:

Ridiculous thread for reasons already covered, but if we're playing the slipper slope game I'd say there's a pretty good list of pro sports teams that are well ahead of the Bills:

• Cleveland Indians
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • Atlanta Braves
  • Kansas city Chiefs
  • San Francisco 49ers

Who am I missing?

49rs were gold miners..

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They're making millions of dollars playing a game..

No players have anything to complain about

No? Tony Dorsett can’t leave the house without someone watching his every step. Earl Campbell can barely walk. Should I continue?

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

In a society where people can always find a way to be offended, and we encourage it, I would be surprised

Also, how does he define “murdered” Indians?

The mob never stops.  Heck, they've destroyed a statue of Frederick Douglass not long ago.  Collective ignorance of history is at an all-time high. 

4 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

For those with an interest in history and its preservation, if not don't bother:

Buffalo Bill's 1878 billboard

Just read his Wikipedia biography.  Very interesting life.   This seems to be on point.

Wikipedia?  Now there's a source. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Incredibly insensitive to Little People.  Change it!

And the Jets....nothing more devastating to the environment than jet airplanes!!!

No joke, I think if a 9/11 type tragedy happened in NY today, there would be pressure to change the name of the Jets.

7 hours ago, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

My suggestions for a non-offensive name for the former Buffalo Bills during these times of heightened cultural sensitivity;

1.  The Buffalo Non-GMO Kale Chips  They can be called the "Buffalo Chips" for short.  Not the CHiPs that stands for the California Highway Patrol though.  That would be terrifying invoking a mental image of the police.  We would definitely have to specify that these are not the police CHiPs, but a tongue in cheek reference to buffalo scat.  Maybe we could include a warning label or something making clear the distinction. 

2.  The Buffalo Snow Flakes  We can bring back Flutie-Flakes!  I mean as long as Doug Flutie isn't a conservative now, because, you know, conservatives....  

3.  The Meat Substitute Tofu-Buffalo Vegans  New Era can go completely Vegan!   Because nothing screams football like meatless BBQ tailgating and sidling up to the concession stand at half time for a delicious 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom patty in a lettuce wrap with a side of veggie straws!

Terry and Kim, feel free to use these suggestions free of charge.  Just knowing that I helped prevent countless suicides and other severe emotional distress in all those people who are deeply traumatized every time they hear the words "Buffalo Bills" is all the thanks I need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, iinii said:

No? Tony Dorsett can’t leave the house without someone watching his every step. Earl Campbell can barely walk. Should I continue?

That is the physical ramifications of the game

Every player knows what they're signing up for

I've had over a dozen concussions in my life playing football and it's certainly affected my health. 

People used to die on the gridiron it's a violent game

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I’m from Lyons, NY.   We were the Lyons Lions.  Seriously.  Thus, the Bills could be the Buffalo Buffaloes.   Problem solved. 

please be advised this is sarcasm. 

Jim Beoheim's high school alma mater, correct?  Fun useless fact:  1982 the Lyons Lions beat the Falconer Golden Falcons in the NYPHSAA Far West Regional basketball game played at St. Bona.  I am getting older old.

38 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The mob never stops.  Heck, they've destroyed a statue of Frederick Douglass not long ago.  Collective ignorance of history is at an all-time high. 

Wikipedia?  Now there's a source. 

Read it and share what's wrong with the info.  Please enlighten us.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

if you have information about the destruction of the Frederick Douglass statue please contact the Rochester Police Department. They have reported they are not aware of who caused the destruction or what their affiliations were.

Curiously, the destruction was silent and not celebrated like the other confederate statue removal were. 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

First I’m not aware the Bill Cody was ever in Buffalo.

Quite a few times.  Full list here: http://www.buffalobill.org/pdfs/buffalo_bill_visits.pdf

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I think the Bills are safe.  No one associates this team with Buffalo Bill Cody.

I certainly didn't growing up, but I do now especially since I can see the flag flying over his grave from my back deck here in Golden.  I am certainly the only person who wears Bills gear during our Buffalo Bill Days festival though!  He was the most famous American in the world for quite a long time, even more recognizable than presidents.  I have heard it said this was true all the way up until Elvis.  

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see it getting to that point. Washington was a bit of an extreme. The Atlanta Braves aren’t changing their name as an example.

If they do, so be it. I have a lot of stuff that will be obsolete (including the shirt that I have on now). As long as the “Buffalo” part doesn’t change I’ll manage. I don’t think that it’ll happen though. 

The "Braves" isn't a deragetory name for Native Americans. I don't think they should change the Bills name either, btw.