Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Go ahead and feel however you want. Just giving my opinion not telling anyone else what to think.

My main concern is that the Bills stay in Buffalo. My 2nd main concern is that they play winning football. Everything else is a bonus.

Good for you I guess.

I can see name changes becoming much more common in the coming years, but not for the reason you think. A name change will generate millions of dollars in merchandise sales. They already do this will the never ending “special” jerseys. Sure, it will initially cost money for legal fees, changes to letterhead, etc. But, this would just be a 1 time expense once they officially change their name to the “Buffalo Football Corp”. After that, anything is possible. 

If things got crazy and they did go after it, I say just call the team Buffalo. No nickname at all. As someone else said, the Bills part makes no sense and has nothing to do with the logo and other branding. The name Buffalo is so badass as a place name anyway, and the logo is great as well. So I'd be more than happy with just Buffalo

I dunno.  I think the deep rooted legacy name is much more valuable than a short term merch bump.  Individual teams' merch sales are a very small piece of the pie anyway.

I'm sure bauerle refers to this menacing "they" that is hell bent on "taking away" everything you hold dear.  Probably "coming for the bills next"

46 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I went ahead and made a blog post about this (first time I've posted anything for 3 years, but...):

https://billsblogbeta.wordpress.com/2020/07/13/its-time-for-the-nfl-team-from-buffalo-to-change-its-name/

The name of “my” team, the Buffalo Bills, should be changed, for many reasons:

1. Buffalo Bill slaughtered Native Americans.

Other reasons:

2a. Many people reading this probably didn’t even know that the Buffalo Bills are named after Buffalo Bill (heck, you might not even know who Buffalo Bill was), because there’s literally nothing in the team’s branding that reflects the nickname. Not since the ’60s (pictured) has Buffalo Bill actually been used; instead, the team exclusively uses the city name in all of its branding. The nickname is not only confusing, it’s completely pointless and is arguably the weakest team name in all of sports. Can you think of another team that completely ignores its name? I would be willing to bet there are players on the team who don’t even know why their team is called the Bills.
2b. Because of the branding problem, many “football fans” have actually referred to the Bills as “the Buffalos” or “the Bulls” (and in the process revealed that they’re not actually football fans at all, but I digress). A change would eliminate this problem.

3. Buffalo Bill is called “Buffalo” Bill because he slaughtered buffalo! How is that a positive omen for the football team from Buffalo? Isn’t that kind of like beating ourselves? (Coincidentally or not, this *has* been the story of the Bills…)

Lastly:

4. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. (Not really a reason, but I like to use this grammatically correct and complete sentence whenever I get the chance.)

So, I propose that the NFL team from Buffalo change its name to:
Buffalo Bison
Buffalo Buffalo (a brilliant nod to the grammatically correct sentence above)
or, simply:
Buffalo.

Using simply “Buffalo” is possible because the city is in the unique position of having its animal mascot in the name of the city itself, so no further nickname is needed. In fact, they’re already essentially doing this — the “Bills” part is completely superfluous and only confuses people.

Or, they could keep the name and just change the entire brand to money. $$

BuffaloBillOriginal

Advertisements

Have any sources that show that Buffalo Bill "slaughtered Native Americans"?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For those with an interest in history and its preservation, if not don't bother:

Buffalo Bill's 1878 billboard

Just read his Wikipedia biography.  Very interesting life.   This seems to be on point.

Philosophy[edit]

As a frontier scout, Cody respected Native Americans and supported their civil rights. He employed many Native Americans, as he thought his show offered them good pay with a chance to improve their lives. He described them as "the former foe, present friend, the American" and once said that "every Indian outbreak that I have ever known has resulted from broken promises and broken treaties by the government."[24]

Cody supported the rights of women.[24] He said, "What we want to do is give women even more liberty than they have. Let them do any kind of work they see fit, and if they do it as well as men, give them the same pay."[73]

In his shows, the Indians were usually depicted attacking stagecoaches and wagon trains and were driven off by cowboys and soldiers. Many family members traveled with the men, and Cody encouraged the wives and children of his Native American performers to set up camp—as they would in their homelands—as part of the show. He wanted the paying public to see the human side of the "fierce warriors" and see that they had families like any others and had their own distinct cultures.[24]

Cody was known as a conservationist who spoke out against hide-hunting and advocated the establishment of a hunting season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Have any sources that show that Buffalo Bill "slaughtered Native Americans"?

Yeah using that word has a super negative connotation

Soldiers kill people in war

Buffalo Bill was not roaming the wild west slaughtering native Americans

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

In a society where people can always find a way to be offended, and we encourage it, I would be surprised

Also, how does he define “murdered” Indians?

We need more “Suck it up and grow a pair!” people.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Absolutely baseless assertion to simply rile up his listeners with a Slippery Slope fallacy.

I'm not falling for the fallacy that Slippery Slope is a fallacy, because that's a Slippery Slope.

Hey, if it makes anyone feel better, cowboys killed native Americans too...maybe they’ll have to change too ?

-Jets are a symbol of imperialism...

-Giants are unfair to short people...

-Browns marginalizes Latinos...

-Raiders glamorizes criminality- so that’s ok

same with Bucs...

-49ers promotes capitalism so that’s gotta go...

-Saints is too religious...

Make no mistake...you give an inch to cancel culture and it will never end...there will alway be some new excuse- like the song, Baby It’s Cold Outside and the movie Gone With The Wind...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah using that word has a super negative connotation

Soldiers kill people in war

Buffalo Bill was not roaming the wild west slaughtering native Americans

He was a scout.   “They’re over there.”

Edited by ColeB

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Good for you I guess.

I mean not really. I wish that I had so few problems that I could get bent out of shape about the 2% chance that my favorite football team changed their name. That’s just so far down the list of “things that will keep me up at night.” 

9 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

For everyone who said “muh slippery slope” WaPo is publishing op eds saying that the Rangers must go. 

Just remember when they come for our "Bills", the idea was started by Liberal Protestor and SJW Tom Bauerle

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1