Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

12 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Jim Beoheim's high school alma mater, correct?  Fun useless fact:  1982 the Lyons Lions beat the Falconer Golden Falcons in the NYPHSAA Far West Regional basketball game played at St. Bona.  I am getting older old.

Read it and share what's wrong with the info.  Please enlighten us.

Yep.  Jimmy B’s alma mater.  My Dad went to school with him.  They called him Digger as a knick name since his family had a funeral home business.   I don’t recall the 1982 season.  I know they had some formidable basketball teams in the 80s. 

40 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

there’s no way most know the story. Not a chance.

I’m not even sure if we asked at the gate of new era we’d get a large majority that spit out the name Bill Cody, yet alone could speak to who he is. You think fans of other teams are rattling that off universally? 

I do and lived lived in 14 States, working on major projects which brought people from all over. 

Yes, I’m sure many who flip the turnstiles @ the stadium are unaware. That’s WNY. 

I stand by my statement.

34 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I do and lived lived in 14 States, working on major projects which brought people from all over. 

Yes, I’m sure many who flip the turnstiles @ the stadium are unaware. That’s WNY. 

I stand by my statement.

chandler, you know I like ya bud and a very thoughtful mod., but we have to agree to disagree.  Tons of people don’t know who Cody is, heck a ton don’t even know their own Senator or US Congressman.  The vast majority of the US has absolutely no idea the story behind the Buffalo Bills naming contest, as a matter of fact, the average person doesn’t even know there was a Buffalo Bills 1946-50, and was the Bisons in 46.  They also wouldn’t know there was a Buffalo Indians team in 1940, before the league shut down for WW2.  They also don’t know we didn’t get absorbed into the NFL from the OTHER LEAGUE LIKE Sf and other teams because of Halas.  He’s the one who blocked it.

It doesn’t matter as this radio host was just seeking out media hype on a non-issue.  There is zero chance the team even considers changing the name.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yes he did fight the native Americans.  However, his feelings on his former adversaries greatly changed with the times.

The below is from Wikipedia...OK, I know...its Wikipedia, but still...among other things.

"As a frontier scout, Cody respected Native Americans and supported their civil rights. He employed many Native Americans, as he thought his show offered them good pay with a chance to improve their lives. He described them as "the former foe, present friend, the American" and once said that "every Indian outbreak that I have ever known has resulted from broken promises and broken treaties by the government."[24]

Cody supported the rights of women.[24] He said, "What we want to do is give women even more liberty than they have. Let them do any kind of work they see fit, and if they do it as well as men, give them the same pay."[73]

In his shows, the Indians were usually depicted attacking stagecoaches and wagon trains and were driven off by cowboys and soldiers. Many family members traveled with the men, and Cody encouraged the wives and children of his Native American performers to set up camp—as they would in their homelands—as part of the show. He wanted the paying public to see the human side of the "fierce warriors" and see that they had families like any others and had their own distinct cultures.[24]

Cody was known as a conservationist who spoke out against hide-hunting and advocated the establishment of a hunting season.[24]"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I'd love to be able to find some of that down here! 

It's around down here. Our Bills Bar before the move to Whitehall used to serve pounders. You can find it in a few different bars.

The funniest part is, with the big Craft Brew movement of the past 15 years, folks think it's a special delicacy-type of craft beer! I've seen it on tasting menus and draft specials. Little do they know that to us, it's the garbage our grandfathers drank and that we drank since it was all there was to steal from my family's garage when I was underage! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

If this the path he wants to go down 

There are probably other teams in line before the Bills.  

Chiefs self explanatory 

Buccaneers were pirates that pillaged the seas 

Vikings plundered and raped as they pleased 

Cowboys fought with Indians and took their land 

What about the Patriots? I hear it is a bad thing to be a Patriotic American these days...

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's around down here. Our Bills Bar before the move to Whitehall used to serve pounders. You can find it in a few different bars.

The funniest part is, with the big Craft Brew movement of the past 15 years, folks think it's a special delicacy-type of craft beer! I've seen it on tasting menus and draft specials. Little do they know that to us, it's the garbage our grandfathers drank and that we drank since it was all there was to steal from my family's garage when I was underage! ?

I was at Delilah’s in Chicago to qatch a game many moons ago, Bills bar, and they featured Blue for the game.

It was hilarious to hear how some patrons tried to pronounce “LaBatts”, most of them said it like “LOB-itts” ha.

And also, Blue was garbage beers in your house? Damn man, that’s some decent trash. We were pinching Busch and Strohs from my dad’s garage fridge ? 

7 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I was at Delilah’s in Chicago to qatch a game many moons ago, Bills bar, and they featured Blue for the game.

It was hilarious to hear how some patrons tried to pronounce “LaBatts”, most of them said it like “LOB-itts” ha.

And also, Blue was garbage beers in your house? Damn man, that’s some decent trash. We were pinching Busch and Strohs from my dad’s garage fridge ? 

I believe NoHuddle was referring to Genny Cream Ale. Hence the "garbage" label.

In my house growing up, Labatt was the KING of beers ?

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

chandler, you know I like ya bud and a very thoughtful mod., but we have to agree to disagree.  Tons of people don’t know who Cody is, heck a ton don’t even know their own Senator or US Congressman.  The vast majority of the US has absolutely no idea the story behind the Buffalo Bills naming contest, as a matter of fact, the average person doesn’t even know there was a Buffalo Bills 1946-50, and was the Bisons in 46.  They also wouldn’t know there was a Buffalo Indians team in 1940, before the league shut down for WW2.  They also don’t know we didn’t get absorbed into the NFL from the OTHER LEAGUE LIKE Sf and other teams because of Halas.  He’s the one who blocked it.

It doesn’t matter as this radio host was just seeking out media hype on a non-issue.  There is zero chance the team even considers changing the name.  

Look don't we have a bigger problem here.

Didn't the Buffalo herds technically belong to the Indigenous People. So that means the city name has been stolen adding insult to the Bill Cody story. 

Of course Sitting Bull was a chief who killed many of Codys friends so the Bulls name is out too.

Dang, the Labatts Blue thing is looking good.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe NoHuddle was referring to Genny Cream Ale. Hence the "garbage" label.

In my house growing up, Labatt was the KING of beers ?

Whoops. I got all kindsa mixed up here.

• Like (+1) 1