boater

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I suspect there are a few things working in the bills favor-

small market

not particularly activist market

not many knowing bill cody 

but with things like statue removal stretching pretty far, it’s not impossible 

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It won't happen. Most people don't even know what "Buffalo Bills" means, especially since the "Bill" part is so weirdly left out of absolutely every aspect of the branding. It's the only sports nickname I can think of that is not represented in any team branding or merchandise. Very strange

Wrong, on both counts. Football is hands down the nations’ favorite sport. The NFL is king. No one who follows the League doesn’t know who we’re named after. 2 more examples of the ‘whoa is me’ Buffalo syndrome.

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No, I'm saying there's no indication anywhere of what "Bills" means -- except old game programs from the '60s

Did he really think that? Might as well be the Buffalo Bobs

Now you’re talkin’! I’m a Robert and my brother is William. I hate Bill! 

BUFFALO BOBS! (Howdy Doody!)

• Haha (+1) 3

Considering the name Bills originally came from a fan naming contest, it only makes sense that we're talking about what we think would be a better name for the team than the first name of a guy named Bill.

Side note, good thing Nickels didn't win, which was a finalist along with Blue Devil's. 

In any case, what's more Buffalo than:

The Buffalo Blizzard?

Or a football related name: the Buffalo Blitz.

Rex would have went with The Buffalo Bullies. 

Personally, I'm kinda partial to the Buffalo Bastards.

If they wanted to sell the naming rights of the team they could deepen the relationship with Labatts and go with:

The Buffalo Blues  (and turn the helmet onto a giant beer can. )

But in the end, I don't think Bills is going anywhere.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wrong, on both counts. Football is hands down the nations’ favorite sport. The NFL is king. No one who follows the League doesn’t know who we’re named after. 2 more examples of the ‘whoa is me’ Buffalo syndrome.

wait... are you serious here?

No one outside of Bills fans even know the Bills are named after Cody, don’t know Cody, and Ralph renamed Bills after the 40’s team, but he may have had another reason.  At least we can say that, but in the end whoever this announcer is had nothing to talk about some invents a fictitious problem the is not there.  This goes nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

I know Wikipedia isn’t the be-all-end-all but a quick search of Buffalo Bill Cody revealed the following:

As a frontier scout, Cody respected Native Americans and supported their civil rights. He employed many Native Americans, as he thought his show offered them good pay with a chance to improve their lives. He described them as "the former foe, present friend, the American" and once said that "every Indian outbreak that I have ever known has resulted from broken promises and broken treaties by the government."[24]

Cody supported the rights of women.[24] He said, "What we want to do is give women even more liberty than they have. Let them do any kind of work they see fit, and if they do it as well as men, give them the same pay."[73]

In his shows, the Indians were usually depicted attacking stagecoaches and wagon trains and were driven off by cowboys and soldiers. Many family members traveled with the men, and Cody encouraged the wives and children of his Native American performers to set up camp—as they would in their homelands—as part of the show. He wanted the paying public to see the human side of the "fierce warriors" and see that they had families like any others and had their own distinct cultures.[24]

Cody was known as a conservationist who spoke out against hide-hunting and advocated the establishment of a hunting season.[24]

If all of this is true, I don’t see there being some movement for the Bills to change their name.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SDS said:

if you have information about the destruction of the Frederick Douglass statue please contact the Rochester Police Department. They have reported they are not aware of who caused the destruction or what their affiliations were.

Curiously, the destruction was silent and not celebrated like the other confederate statue removal were. 

In light of current events, I'm going to assume that it wasn't boy scouts or any church group that vandalized the statue.  

I'll let the case play out, but a lack of celebration neither proves or disproves bad actors had nothing to do with it. 

I would point out that counter-destruction of any monuments has not been, to my knowledge, observed anywhere in the US. 

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

No one outside of Bills fans even know the Bills are named after Cody, don’t know Cody, and Ralph renamed Bills after the 40’s team, but he may have had another reason.  At least we can say that, but in the end whoever this announcer is had nothing to talk about some invents a fictitious problem the is not there.  This goes nowhere.

This is precisely why every NFL fan knows the story behind the name. ‘Buffalo BILLS?? wth? Then, they look it up. They’ll see why, including pics of old programs. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is precisely why every NFL fan knows the story behind the name. ‘Buffalo BILLS?? wth? Then, they look it up. They’ll see why, including pics of old programs. 

there’s no way most know the story. Not a chance.

I’m not even sure if we asked at the gate of new era we’d get a large majority that spit out the name Bill Cody, yet alone could speak to who he is. You think fans of other teams are rattling that off universally?