Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

I think after they see the windfall Snyder gets from this name change nonsense, there might be some low key lookout for controversy by the Pegulas.  Maybe even in this day and age,  some behind the scenes funding to get the controversy  started.

If they can get enough traction to bow to the artificial pressure to reluctantly change the name and make millions, I hope they consider a more generic geographic title, like Upstate or something that recognizes the Rochester influence.  Kind of like New England as apposed to Boston.

25 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

The Cleveland Browns, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, and Utah Jazz all beg to differ.

The Jazz at least made sense when the team was formed ... in New Orleans. Definitely should have been changed when they moved, though.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He also was apparently a known conservationist who advocated for a hunting season. Which might seem weird considering what he's known for, but at the same time kind of makes sense when you think about him having a front row seat to the results of out of control hunting.

Yeah, he was pretty progressive for his time, actually.

Is he just pulling the "murdered many Native Americans" thing out of his butt? He's known for killing Buffalo.

I thought they were named "Bills" after the male Bison being called a "Billy."

Basically, the team name was "Buffalo Male Bison."

I suppose there could be a sexism argument about not including female Bison in the name.

tenor.gif?itemid=15745178

1 hour ago, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

They read too many inane posts on TBD.  

1 hour ago, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

Why?

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Weak

I didn’t say that I wanted it or expected it. Just said I’m not going to whine about it. As long as they stay in Buffalo I can deal with a name change. I don’t think it’s necessary or likely but there are a zillion other things that would be worse. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

This is the same guy who is convinced there are people in invisibility cloaking devices filming him from his back yard.

No joke

Who has the the "cloaking devices, the Kilingons"?  Kirk had Sulo find a energy wave to find them lol

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, iinii said:

Prominent roles of exploitation? Sounds eerily like the NFL....

I'm pretty sure Buffalo Bill made many of the natives rich for the time

They were traveling all across Europe making money

Edited by Buffalo716

Not happening.  Too big of a leap as no one but us Bills nerds even knows where the Bills name came from in 1946.  It’s not even the AFC Bills.  Wilson could have claimed from the Bison.  This is just a dude who needs a rating point.

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Who has the the "cloaking devices, the Kilingons"?  Kirk had Sulo find a energy wave to find them lol

And the Romulans.  I’m ashamed knowing that, but love those old shows.  More about my brother and I watching the reruns on channel 29.

22 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Seriously though, all teams will be names after birds and cats before too long.

On behalf of all the small birds and rodents slaughtered annually by both feral and domesticated felines, I doth protest.  Might as well lump me in with the lot advocating the mascot from 'Community'.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not happening.  Too big of a leap as no one but us Bills nerds even knows where the Bills name came from in 1946.  It’s not even the AFC Bills.  Wilson could have claimed from the Bison.  This is just a dude who needs a rating point.

And the Romulans.  I’m ashamed knowing that, but love those old shows.  More about my brother and I watching the reruns on channel 29.

I forgot about the Romulans, those bastaads

• Haha (+1) 1

I went ahead and made a blog post about this (first time I've posted anything for 3 years, but...):

https://billsblogbeta.wordpress.com/2020/07/13/its-time-for-the-nfl-team-from-buffalo-to-change-its-name/

The name of “my” team, the Buffalo Bills, should be changed, for many reasons:

1. Buffalo Bill slaughtered Native Americans.

Other reasons:

2a. Many people reading this probably didn’t even know that the Buffalo Bills are named after Buffalo Bill (heck, you might not even know who Buffalo Bill was), because there’s literally nothing in the team’s branding that reflects the nickname. Not since the ’60s (pictured) has Buffalo Bill actually been used; instead, the team exclusively uses the city name in all of its branding. The nickname is not only confusing, it’s completely pointless and is arguably the weakest team name in all of sports. Can you think of another team that completely ignores its name? I would be willing to bet there are players on the team who don’t even know why their team is called the Bills.
2b. Because of the branding problem, many “football fans” have actually referred to the Bills as “the Buffalos” or “the Bulls” (and in the process revealed that they’re not actually football fans at all, but I digress). A change would eliminate this problem.

3. Buffalo Bill is called “Buffalo” Bill because he slaughtered buffalo! How is that a positive omen for the football team from Buffalo? Isn’t that kind of like beating ourselves? (Coincidentally or not, this *has* been the story of the Bills…)

Lastly:

4. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. (Not really a reason, but I like to use this grammatically correct and complete sentence whenever I get the chance.)

So, I propose that the NFL team from Buffalo change its name to:
Buffalo Bison
Buffalo Buffalo (a brilliant nod to the grammatically correct sentence above)
or, simply:
Buffalo.

Using simply “Buffalo” is possible because the city is in the unique position of having its animal mascot in the name of the city itself, so no further nickname is needed. In fact, they’re already essentially doing this — the “Bills” part is completely superfluous and only confuses people.

Or, they could keep the name and just change the entire brand to money. $$

BuffaloBillOriginal

Advertisements

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t say that I wanted it or expected it. Just said I’m not going to whine about it. As long as they stay in Buffalo I can deal with a name change. I don’t think it’s necessary or likely but there are a zillion other things that would be worse. 

Well how about the vast majority of us that it would piss off?

Do we count anymore?

Edited by Beast

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Well how about the vast majority of us that it would piss off?

Do we count anymore?

Go ahead and feel however you want. Just giving my opinion not telling anyone else what to think.

My main concern is that the Bills stay in Buffalo. My 2nd main concern is that they play winning football. Everything else is a bonus.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1