Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

So we’re named after an honorary Private who wasn’t even really a member of the military and who’s big claim to fame was running a live theatrical show?  I think I might actually want the name to be changed now......

For real. I'm actually all for the name being changed. Not for anything PC related, but because it's pretty much the cheesiest name in all of pro sports.

The team mascot is actually the city name? And WTF is a "Bill" if you didnt have the context of American history?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Actually he was a scout not a soldier ..and he was in general friendly to native americans and felt they were unjustly treated. I actually wish we had a better name, but not because Buffalo Bill did anything wrong. But as someone said riling up the crowd leads to ratings no matter how faulty the info.

I actually called him a scout in my last post. He wasn't even technically in the army

He was a civilian scout

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

The name "Buffalo Bills" is actually ironic since he got his nickname for killing the most buffalo in a contest against Bill Comstock of the usage of the nickname "Buffalo Bill".

Cody killed 68 and Comstock killed 48 in an 8 hour contest.

Right. It's a strange name for so many reasons.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

For real. I'm actually all for the name being changed. Not for anything PC related, but because it's pretty much the cheesiest name in all of pro sports.

The team mascot is actually the city name? And WTF is a "Bill" if you didnt have the context of American history?

A bill is an American dollar

And we are the Buffalo Bills because we make it rain!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No, I'm saying there's no indication anywhere of what "Bills" means -- except old game programs from the '60s

Did he really think that? Might as well be the Buffalo Bobs

We'd need a far more Polish ethnic name than Bob. Maybe the Stanleys?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Did he really think that? Might as well be the Buffalo Bobs

I don't know if he really believed it (he had a good sense of humor...died way too young!), but it worked for me.  I never made the Bill Cody until the 80's, seeing some of the old programs. 

I've read the posts and agree with the ludicrousness of the name change idea.

I just worry about it. In these times today's stupid idea is tomorrow's reality. Really stupid *****, such as defunding Cops is taking place. What prevents name change hysteria?

I'm a bit pissed at the talk show host--giving useless protesters ideas. He has even thrown Millard Fillmore hospital under the bus.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If this the path he wants to go down 

There are probably other teams in line before the Bills.  

Chiefs self explanatory 

Buccaneers were pirates that pillaged the seas 

Vikings plundered and raped as they pleased 

Cowboys fought with Indians and took their land 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Cleveland Browns, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, and Utah Jazz all beg to differ.

1 hour ago, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

LOL this is a huge stretch.  We have many Native American reservations located in Western, NY.  I’ve never heard one publicly voice a complaint over the name or the way that the organization has presented it.  

Also it’s not like Buffalo Bill Cody has any presence in the stadium or relation to the team other than in name 

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

If this the path he wants to go down 

There are probably other teams in line before the Bills.  

Chiefs self explanatory 

Buccaneers were pirates that pillaged the seas 

Vikings plundered and raped as they pleased 

Cowboys fought with Indians and took their land 

Also the Patriots.  Because many of our forefathers, including John Hancock in MA, owned slaves

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bill

The good news is he was a Union soldier, so we pass there.

The bad news is he served the military in the Indian Wars.

But I dont see anyone going that far. Big difference between this and "Red Skins".

He also was apparently a known conservationist who advocated for a hunting season. Which might seem weird considering what he's known for, but at the same time kind of makes sense when you think about him having a front row seat to the results of out of control hunting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't believe Buffalo Bill Cody murdered many native Americans

he was a civil war soldier, and created Buffalo Bill's wild West show which had natives in prominent roles

Prominent roles of exploitation? Sounds eerily like the NFL....