Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't believe Buffalo Bill Cody murdered many native Americans

he was a civil war soldier, and created Buffalo Bill's wild West show which had natives in prominent roles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bill

The good news is he was a Union soldier, so we pass there.

The bad news is he served the military in the Indian Wars.

But I dont see anyone going that far. Big difference between this and "Red Skins".

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But I dont see anyone going that far. Big difference between this and "Red Skins".

He was a civilian scout. Who cares, besides crazy people

The history of humans is a history of warfare. Fighting wars and then preparing for wars in peacetime

We will never stop fighting, because there's evil that wants to take good down

And that was true  2 thousand years ago and 200 years ago and today.. if serving in the military is bad, then you might as well get rid of the American military

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

Why do you listen to this guy?????

So we’re named after an honorary Private who wasn’t even really a member of the military and who’s big claim to fame was running a live theatrical show?  I think I might actually want the name to be changed now......

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

It won't happen. Most people don't even know what "Buffalo Bills" means, especially since the "Bill" part is so weirdly left out of absolutely every aspect of the branding. It's the only sports nickname I can think of that is not represented in any team branding or merchandise. Very strange

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It won't happen. Most people don't even know what "Buffalo Bills" means, especially since the "Bill" part is so weirdly left out of absolutely every aspect of the branding. It's the only sports nickname I can think of that is not represented in any team branding or merchandise. Very strange

Well the name isn't the Buffalo Bill

It's the Buffalo Bills, and they do have merchandise that says bills

Whatever. Go for it. It really doesn't matter. The Bills don't actually use Bill Cody in any marketing, mascots, etc. at all. Just rename them Buffalo. We use a Buffalo on the helmet, all of our marketing, mascots, t-shirts, imagining on the score board etc. I wouldn't "change" the name. I would just drop the Bills part. We can be like Madonna. We are just Buffalo. Literally nothing would have to be different. 

• Like (+1) 6

When I was a kid (early 70's), I asked my uncle what the name "Buffalo Bills" meant.  He told me the team was named after a "bunch of guys named Bill, sitting around,driniking beers, asses hanging out of their pants, watching their team". A bunch of genric working-class slugs.  It made sense to me...maybe we can sell that!

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't believe Buffalo Bill Cody murdered many native Americans

he was a civil war soldier, and created Buffalo Bill's wild West show which had natives in prominent roles

Actually he was a scout not a soldier ..and he was in general friendly to native americans and felt they were unjustly treated. I actually wish we had a better name, but not because Buffalo Bill did anything wrong. But as someone said riling up the crowd leads to ratings no matter how faulty the info.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Right, other than the word "Bills" there is nothing linked to Bill Cody. So I think that is a bit pedantic. Everything is just a Buffalo/Bison. There would be zero need to change anything in their brand. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No, I'm saying there's no indication anywhere of what "Bills" means -- except old game programs from the '60s

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

When I was a kid (early 70's), I asked my uncle what the name "Buffalo Bills" meant.  He told me the team was named after a "bunch of guys named Bill, sitting around,driniking beers, asses hanging out of their pants, watching their team". A bunch of genric working-class slugs.  It made sense to me...maybe we can sell that!

Did he really think that? Might as well be the Buffalo Bobs

• Like (+1) 2

The name "Buffalo Bills" is actually ironic since he got his nickname for killing the most buffalo in a contest against Bill Comstock of the usage of the nickname "Buffalo Bill".

Cody killed 68 and Comstock killed 48 in an 8 hour contest.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1