Blue Jays "Buffalo2020" thread

On 7/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Turns out the players don't want to play in Buffalo 'cause it's icky.  Here's the best solution for the Jays: play all road games.

When and where did you read/hear/see this? I've done a bit of searching and can't find anything even remotely close to this. What I'm seeing is the players want to play in a Major League Ball Park. Absolutely no particular knock on Buffalo. If they did actually take a swipe at Buffalo for ickyness, can you provide a link of some sort?

19 minutes ago, The Dean said:

When and where did you read/hear/see this? I've done a bit of searching and can't find anything even remotely close to this. What I'm seeing is the players want to play in a Major League Ball Park. Absolutely no particular knock on Buffalo. If they did actually take a swipe at Buffalo for ickyness, can you provide a link of some sort?

I think sahlens field is the largest AAA ballpark in the country

Definitely probably a turd compared to MLB parks, but it has grass , four bases an outfield with a wall!

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think sahlens field is the largest AAA ballpark in the country

Definitely probably a turd compared to MLB parks, but it has grass , four bases an outfield with a wall!

It is seemingly more about the locker room size.* Pretty cramped when compared to MLB. If I had to play during this, I'd want as  much space as possible, I suppose. Might be a bit of a "respect" and "credibility" thing in the minds of some, as well. But I haven't seen anyone disparage Buffalo in particular during this. As sensitive as we tend to be when people take shots at the area, you'd think one of us wouldn't invent a shot when one was not taken.

* And the facilities in general might not be up to the standards of most (any?) MLB parks

Edited by The Dean

Just now, The Dean said:

It is seemingly more about the locker room size. Pretty cramped when compared to MLB. If I had to play during this, I'd want as  much space as possible, I suppose. Might be a bit of a "respect" and "credibility" thing in the minds of some, as well. But I haven't seen anyone disparage Buffalo in particular during this. As sensitive as we tend to be when people take shots at the area, you'd think one of us wouldn't invent a shot when one was not taken.

I'm not taking it personally

Their clubhouse is a dump compared to Major league teams LOL

I was joking with the four bases and the outfield wall thing lol

Major Leaguers are certainly used to certain accommodations, which sahlen's field probably doesn't have

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Major Leaguers are certainly used to certain accommodations, which sahlen's field probably doesn't have

I should clarify. I didn't think YOU were taking a shot at Buffalo or taking it personally.

You have a special situation here with the pandemic. Everything is less than ideal. You only play a 60-game season, only half at home. You'd think a team could suck it up for two months and deal with a cramped clubhouse. Don't forget they have the entire facility to spread out into. Lighting could have been upgraded by now. The Jays had 6 weeks to work things out. If they had committed to Buffalo most of their grievances could have been addressed. Instead they strung us along like a prom date hoping to do better. 

Frankly it's hilarious watching them embarras themselves, announcing the deal with Pittsburgh only to have the door slammed in their faces. I hope they enjoy that 60- game road trip. That's going to be sooooo much better than playing home games in Buffalo.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You have a special situation here with the pandemic. Everything is less than ideal. You only play a 60-game season, only half at home. You'd think a team could suck it up for two months and deal with a cramped clubhouse. Don't forget they have the entire facility to spread out into. Lighting could have been upgraded by now. The Jays had 6 weeks to work things out. If they had committed to Buffalo most of their grievances could have been addressed. Instead they strung us along like a prom date hoping to do better. 

Frankly it's hilarious watching them embarras themselves, announcing the deal with Pittsburgh only to have the door slammed in their faces. I hope they enjoy that 60- game road trip. That's going to be sooooo much better than playing home games in Buffalo.

No argument with any of this. Well maybe one thing. Why "suck it up" if you don't have to?  What's the purpose of playing in Buffalo if you can make a deal to play in a major league stadium?  Why would you begrudge a team for wanting better digs?

But that really isn't the point. You accused the Jays of rejecting Buffalo, specifically, because it was "icky" and saying they were too "special" Where the heck it THAT coming from?  I think it's coming from YOU as I haven't see/read/heard any other account that is similar to what you proclaimed. For the record, they also haven't jumped on Manchester or Dunedin. Were they too icky too? 

You seem to be taking this WAY too personally, which I suppose is your perogotive. But why make up false negative allegations against Buffalo? THAT I do not understand. 

26 minutes ago, The Dean said:

No argument with any of this. Well maybe one thing. Why "suck it up" if you don't have to?  What's the purpose of playing in Buffalo if you can make a deal to play in a major league stadium?  Why would you begrudge a team for wanting better digs?

But that really isn't the point. You accused the Jays of rejecting Buffalo, specifically, because it was "icky" and saying they were too "special" Where the heck it THAT coming from?  I think it's coming from YOU as I haven't see/read/heard any other account that is similar to what you proclaimed. For the record, they also haven't jumped on Manchester or Dunedin. Were they too icky too? 

You seem to be taking this WAY too personally, which I suppose is your perogotive. But why make up false negative allegations against Buffalo? THAT I do not understand. 

I'm not sure why I'm taking this so personally. It just feels like they are stringing Buffalo along. You have to admit this is a major clusterbunch for the Jays. It feels like they were caught flat-footed by the Canadian government's decision. 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm not sure why I'm taking this so personally. It just feels like they are stringing Buffalo along. You have to admit this is a major clusterbunch for the Jays. It feels like they were caught flat-footed by the Canadian government's decision. 

I'm sure they were. Now they are scrambling. They may choose Buffalo after all. But they never took a shot at Buffalo unless I missed it (which is always a possibility). It's sounds like they simply prefer to play in a major league stadium if a deal can be reached. I see nothing wrong with that. 

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They pretty much were, the city of Toronto and province of Ontario all gave them the Ok, they were permitted to hold training camp there, then a little over a week before they were scheduled to play their opener the Canadian government says no. That's kind of surprising because during all of this, the higher levels of government have all been passing the enforcement and decision making to the provinces and cities.

As for Buffalo, in order to play there, the facility needs upgrades for it to be used to bring it up to the league standards. Teams are going to need larger clubhouses because of the required distancing players will need to have. Other MLB teams will already have these things in place.

If your a player and going to have to be quarantined to the area for the next 3 months, why would you just accept whatever and not try to get the best location you can? Would you just accept staying in a fleabag motel when there's a chance that a five star hotel could be available to you?

32 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They pretty much were, the city of Toronto and province of Ontario all gave them the Ok, they were permitted to hold training camp there, then a little over a week before they were scheduled to play their opener the Canadian government says no. That's kind of surprising because during all of this, the higher levels of government have all been passing the enforcement and decision making to the provinces and cities.

As for Buffalo, in order to play there, the facility needs upgrades for it to be used to bring it up to the league standards. Teams are going to need larger clubhouses because of the required distancing players will need to have. Other MLB teams will already have these things in place.

If your a player and going to have to be quarantined to the area for the next 3 months, why would you just accept whatever and not try to get the best location you can? Would you just accept staying in a fleabag motel when there's a chance that a five star hotel could be available to you?

Well how many major league ballparks are sitting around unused?  The idea of sharing a park was quite the long shot as well. 

Fenway Park doesn't have a massive clubhouse, so they built makeshift lockers in the concourses of the stadium. Could that not have been done at Sahlens Field? Could LED lights been installed in the past few weeks? Could bullpens have been moved to outside the outfield wall?

I find it a little hard to accept that a park that is acceptable for Triple-A ball is that far from usable for MLB. I suspect it's more the players not wanting to be in a lesser facility, not that it can't be played in.

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sahlen's hot dogs should be ample compensation.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo's my home if I want to s*** on it I can! ?

You certainly have a lot to spare.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You have to admit this is a major clusterbunch for the Jays. It feels like they were caught flat-footed by the Canadian government's decision. 

Ah...the spirit of J.P. Ricciardi's time in Toronto lives on.  He had more 'three year' and 'five year' plans than Stalin.

Maryland doesn't seem to keen on the idea either.

The AP interviewed Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan. Asked about the Jays in Baltimore: "We've had some discussions with the Orioles. I don't know the final details of that. Obviously we're watching our numbers very carefully every day. We're concerned about the spikes in other states."