Blue Jays "Buffalo2020" thread

16 hours ago, sir andrew said:

Is there a way to watch the games locally, in WNY?

Bisons GM was on with Howard and Jeremy this morning and said they had asked MLB for permission as it is a special circumstance.

The Yankees and Mets would have to give permission though.  MLB does silly things and has an archaic blackout system , like a Pirate or Indian fan is blacked out from games even with MLB package in Buffalo, so I wouldn't count on any arrangements.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Nope.  Spectrum does carry 2 or 3 Canadian channels, but I’ve never seen a game on one.  It would be bad even if they did, as Spectrum doesn’t carry the HD feed for them. 

While I prefer HD, of course, I have no problem whatsoever with standard definition. Beats the hell out of not seeing something you like. Been watching Bills games for 60 years. I'll watch them on a 13" B&W TV (or a laptop screen or phone) if I have to.

OTOH, I have a very hard time listening to music on tinny speakers.

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Nope.  Spectrum does carry 2 or 3 Canadian channels, but I’ve never seen a game on one.  It would be bad even if they did, as Spectrum doesn’t carry the HD feed for them. 

They would have to carry Sportsnet, a Rogers station that has the rights to broadcast all Jays games.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, boco357 said:

Bisons GM was on with Howard and Jeremy this morning and said they had asked MLB for permission as it is a special circumstance.

The Yankees and Mets would have to give permission though.  MLB does silly things and has an archaic blackout system , like a Pirate or Indian fan is blacked out from games even with MLB package in Buffalo, so I wouldn't count on any arrangements.

Those type of business decisions drive me crazy. Baseball has been declining in popularity for some time, yet they stick to an archaic system that pushes away fans. MLB should be doing all they can to allow their product to be seen, without always thinking about the bottom line. The bottom line will actually improve if more people have access to the game imo. 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Those type of business decisions drive me crazy. Baseball has been declining in popularity for some time, yet they stick to an archaic system that pushes away fans. MLB should be doing all they can to allow their product to be seen, without always thinking about the bottom line. The bottom line will actually improve if more people have access to the game imo. 

Disagree, the bottom line in baseball like many sports is in the TV deals now. And the TV rights are sold to one network. Sure you might be able to make money selling it off to multiple networks, but not as much as one network would pay for exclusive rights to it. Plus the league's have their own networks and streaming packages where they will make more money from the people who don't get certain teams or games in their area. Fan of the Dodgers but in St Louis? Get the MLB Network package to watch the game.

Its all about the TV deals and making the best situation for the giant Telecom companies.  

Sports are the last holdout for the Directv's and Comcasts of the world.  Without forcing locals to subscribe to watch their local teams, they would probably have little to no subscription base.  Instead of innovate and adapt, they just try to milk the consumer and leverage their somehow legal racketeering territories.

So in Buffalo, we are in the viewing area of Cleveland, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Mets, and Yankees.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Disagree, the bottom line in baseball like many sports is in the TV deals now. And the TV rights are sold to one network. Sure you might be able to make money selling it off to multiple networks, but not as much as one network would pay for exclusive rights to it. Plus the league's have their own networks and streaming packages where they will make more money from the people who don't get certain teams or games in their area. Fan of the Dodgers but in St Louis? Get the MLB Network package to watch the game.

Great point, and I’d completely agree if you were talking about football with it’s massive popularity. You are correct in the fact that baseball is doing the right thing for their bottom line. I’m just looking at it from a long term perspective. People who watch baseball on TV are an extremely aging population, that won’t be around forever. When the viewers vanish, the big TV deals won’t be there for the taking.

Baseball does an awful job marketing itself and promoting its stars. Football and basketball have multiple generations who will continue to follow the game. City streets are full of people wearing football and basketball jerseys, yet not many people care who Mike Trout is. I fully understand your point, but I was also speaking to the question of Blue Jays games being televised in Buffalo. If MLB doesn’t forget about blackout rules, they are making a big error. Exceptions should be made during the pandemic season. Wouldn’t you think televising Blue Jays games in Buffalo while they play here would be good for building a future baseball fanbase in WNY ? It’s crazy there’s any question whether this will happen imo. I get the contract and television aspect as well, it’s just ridiculous there’s not much flexibility. The NBA and NFL can survive ridiculous policies, but MLB needs a system that offers their product more exposure. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

That would work for the Jays but not for Yankees, Mets, Indians and Pirates games. Why Cleveland and Pittsburgh are blacked out in WNY makes no sense.

49 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its all about the TV deals and making the best situation for the giant Telecom companies.  

Sports are the last holdout for the Directv's and Comcasts of the world.  Without forcing locals to subscribe to watch their local teams, they would probably have little to no subscription base.  Instead of innovate and adapt, they just try to milk the consumer and leverage their somehow legal racketeering territories.

So in Buffalo, we are in the viewing area of Cleveland, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Mets, and Yankees.  

SNY and YES cover the Yankees and Mets, but how are you supposed to watch Indians and Pirates games? What channel?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That would work for the Jays but not for Yankees, Mets, Indians and Pirates games. Why Cleveland and Pittsburgh are blacked out in WNY makes no sense.

SNY and YES cover the Yankees and Mets, but how are you supposed to watch Indians and Pirates games? What channel?

Sports Time Ohio for the Indians.  I got it when I had Directv.  Im sure the Pirates RSN is on there.  If you have Spectrum or whatever, there is no channel to get them.  Another annoying thing, is when those teams are on ESPN, MLB Network, etc on a non-exclusive game.... those are blacked out.  

I currently have Hulu Live.  They DO have Sportstime Ohio which is great.  I watch the Indians.  They have Yes and SNY too I believe.  The Pirates' RSN which is owned by AT&T I think is only available on "FUBO" TV for streaming.  I would probably watch some Pirates games and my kid always asks for their games when we are looking for games to watch.  They Do not have MSG though so I dont need to suffer through Sabres games at least.  

I also subscribe to MLB TV.  It is pretty annoying I cant get all that under one umbrella.  At the very least, if I get the team's home station, let me input a code or something so I can have access to the games in the MLB TV interface.

Edited by May Day 10

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Middle ground between the teams?

Mets and Yankees share the same state and could have it in their deals that it goes by the state.

Toronto, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are all short drives away

But are you really missing much? The Indians have been pretty good the last few years, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, and they Jays continue to blow games with Japans Strikeout King.....

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They may never play a game in Buffalo.

Well the first game was going to be against the Marlins........

After the first week, 2 teams have had a week off, and 5 series have had to be rescheduled. Atleast 3 teams have had positive cases hit their staff. It's not looking good.

It will be interesting to see after this weekend if the 'bubble' sports do any better. Hockey sounds like it could work, basketball is iffy because they have had multiple cases of people sneaking out of the bubble before they even started playing.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

"Could", "Maybe", "There is possibility" are verbiage used when speaker/writer really does not know.

That's because they don't know more then it being a possibility because an actual decision hasn't been made.

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Will they go back up and unscrew the light bulbs and take them home to Toronto?

Well they are owned by Rogers, one of the largest telecommunications companies in Canada, that's been notorious for penny pinching, so there's a good chance they have the crews on standby to remove it all....

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So the Jays limp into Buffalo at 5-8, last in the AL East. Tuesday they host the Marlins, the expansion franchise Sahlens Field was built for. So the circle becomes complete.

And you can't go see it in person.  Hand over a slice of that herring and banana pizza.  ?