Blue Jays "Buffalo2020" thread

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/blue-jays-reach-out-to-triple-a-team-about-playing-home-games-in-buffalo-in-2020-per-report/

So, they blow off the idea of playing at Sahlens Field because they'd rather play in Dunedin, Florida. Well 12 days before the season is supposed to start Florida ain't looking too feasible. So it's back to Buffalo with cap in hand.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

They are getting info, I don't think they are quite at the stage of wanting to play here at this point.  The biggest issue seems to be the lighting situation.  No LED lighting makes for bad TV look I guess.  Seems a bit odd to me since they can play day games (no fans anyway, right?) and the fact that LED lighting has only been around for about 5 years in MLB and they seemed to do just fine prior to that.  My money is on they will be playing here since FLA is a complete s*show and Canada is being tough on their quarantine requirements (rightly so).  Would love if they let some fans in too. 

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/blue-jays-reach-out-to-triple-a-team-about-playing-home-games-in-buffalo-in-2020-per-report/

So, they blow off the idea of playing at Sahlens Field because they'd rather play in Dunedin, Florida. Well 12 days before the season is supposed to start Florida ain't looking too feasible. So it's back to Buffalo with cap in hand.

And the irony is that it's a New Era 5950.  Any complaints, call Mr. Brandon.  He is in the company directory, isn't he?  ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

They are getting info, I don't think they are quite at the stage of wanting to play here at this point.  The biggest issue seems to be the lighting situation.  No LED lighting makes for bad TV look I guess.  Seems a bit odd to me since they can play day games (no fans anyway, right?) and the fact that LED lighting has only been around for about 5 years in MLB and they seemed to do just fine prior to that.  My money is on they will be playing here since FLA is a complete s*show and Canada is being tough on their quarantine requirements (rightly so).  Would love if they let some fans in too. 

Did Dunedin have those LED lights? 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did Dunedin have those LED lights? 

I would expect it to.

I'm not sure if they were going to be at the new complex/field this year, theres been alot of renovations being done to their complexs in Dunedin

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

And it would be very ironic to play in Buffalo, specifically in US, since Canadian fans have to go thru quarantine when they return.

With the Borders currently closed to 'Non Essential' travel, and there not being any fans in attendance, it wouldn't matter.......

Right now there were complaints from some players because they were going to be confined to the Rogers Centre in Toroonto and live out of the hotel rooms that are part of it (Roberto Alomar used to live in one of them while he played there and some have windows that look onto the field from the outfield) They were told if they leave the stadium/hotel area and are caught, there would be the potential of a $750k fine and jail time because those are the max fines in Ontario for not Quarantining. It seems reasonable because these guys will be traveling all over to play the games and are going to be forgoing the usual 14 day quarantining requirements everyone else is supposed to follow when they come back from a road trip. 

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Not follow baseball well enough to know all of that. I guess the whole purpose is to allow them to play other teams since players from US would not be allowed in Canada.

It's not clear if they will be allowed to play here, they were only given special permission for training here so far I believe. That's why they are planning for elsewhere. This will be the first sport that's going to travel to other cities to play each other. All other sports are playing in bubbles where everyone's together at one site. In hockey all teams are playing in either Toronto or Edmonton, basketball is only being played in Florida. It's tricky for MLB because they have a Canadian team so it would involve teams also crossing a border. The plan was to allow the teams to cross the border and would not have to quarantine but would not be permitted to leave the facility where they are staying or playing. 

Joel Sherman

@Joelsherman1

·

20s

This will force a quick shift to likely Buffalo or perhaps Dunedin.Sorry for repetitiveness but lots of hurdles to this season.

Quote Tweet

Rob Gillies

@rgilliescanada

· 12m

TORONTO (AP) _ AP source says Blue Jays denied Canadian government approval to play games in Toronto amid pandemic.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Joel Sherman

@Joelsherman1

·

20s

This will force a quick shift to likely Buffalo or perhaps Dunedin.Sorry for repetitiveness but lots of hurdles to this season.

Quote Tweet

Rob Gillies

@rgilliescanada

· 12m

TORONTO (AP) _ AP source says Blue Jays denied Canadian government approval to play games in Toronto amid pandemic.

More:

ap news

</snip>

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced in a statement Saturday the federal government had denied the request, confirming what an official familiar with the matter had told The Associated Press earlier. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak ahead of the announcement.

The team had been given clearance by city and provincial governments to play regular-season games at Rogers Centre and was awaiting approval from Canada’s federal government.

</snip>

“We have shared this news with the Blue Jays organization. We remain open to considering future restart plans for the postseason should the risk of virus transmission diminish. We wish the Blue Jays the best of luck as they start the regular season,” Mendicino said.

</snip>

Meh the article itself says "or"

The Blue Jays will play their home games in Buffalo, N.Y. or Dunedin, Fla. this season after the federal government rejected a plan that would have allowed them to use the Rogers Centre.

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Why would they want to play in Florida when thats pandemic ridden right now? Pus travel expenses to the teams they play this year would be way cheaper

They're apparently worried about the lighting at Pilot Field.

3 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I read that in Mike Harringtons story that they need LED bulbs. So either start games early or go to Lowes and buy a shitload of new bulbs!

Times are tough.  Make Trudeau pay for the bulbs.

• Like (+1) 1