Blue Jays "Buffalo2020" thread

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The economics of MLB makes it impossible for a city like Buffalo. And yeah, after the novelty wears off, I can see local fans getting pretty sick of being a farm team for the "haves," losing every good player because you can't afford to sign them. Heck it's true for bigger cities than Buffalo. We are fortunate to have the NFL and NHL here, but can't realistically afford much more.

So I'm going to enjoy this one fluke season. The Jays fit right in with that bullpen. They can't hold a lead.

Buffalo.... as I say with most things.... needs a couple Fortune 500 companies to headquarter downtown.  

MLB games are largely a downtown happy hour day-to-day now.  A fun social event.  With business and people downtown, attendance would be great!  Baseball has roots here, but it is aging.  People arent going to keep driving from Grand Island and Lancaster and Amherst 81 days a year in Year 5 of a team that is fringe or worse.    Personally though, I would go every time my schedule allows!

The economics of MLB are shot, but I feel like we may be heading closer to their 'apocolypse' where they convert to some real revenue sharing and also tie players salaries capped to league revenues.  That would crack the door open for Buffalo.... but see above.  They would be competing with Charlotte, Nashville, Montreal, Vegas, Portland, Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, etc for a franchise.

You also need the television market as so much money is generated from the Regional Broadcast deals.  Obviously we don't have that.

So I guess, we will need a nice uptick in our local economy and downtown demographic with a bit more bells and whistles downtown.   Or, we would need professional baseball to deconstruct and go to a Promotion/Relegation system (which IMO would be amazing for the sport).

19 hours ago, The Dean said:

OK, I'll bite. Who the hell are those two people?

How DARE you! On the left is Geddy Lee, bassist and singer for Rush. 

On the right is some lady.........

17 hours ago, The Dean said:

Did he learn how to sing yet?

Cheap-shot artist indeed!

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

How DARE you! On the left is Geddy Lee, bassist and singer for Rush. 

On the right is some lady.........

Cheap-shot artist indeed!

Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News said a cutout of Mayor Jimmy Griffin was along the 1st base line. He should have been behind home plate with Geddy instead of Andrew Cuomo. (This is not a shot at the governor. Just saying Jimmy Griffin brought baseball back to Buffalo.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

The king and queen of Canada, Eh?

(In case you are being serious and really not sure, Geddy Lee of Rush who is seen many times a season, and 'Home Plate Lady's who is seen at every game in Toronto sitting behind home plate. Geddy Lee is there once in a while with his score card watching them play)

Well..she’s no front row Amy, that’s for sure.  ?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News said a cutout of Mayor Jimmy Griffin was along the 1st base line. He should have been behind home plate with Geddy instead of Andrew Cuomo. (This is not a shot at the governor. Just saying Jimmy Griffin brought baseball back to Buffalo.)

Does Griffin have the six pack with him?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

First team to lose hitting 7 homers and 18 hits in a game........

They are infuriating to watch. You'd think we'd be used to that level of play.  Half the Marlins runs were off clown show-level errors. Vlad Jr. in particular. He can hit but he's a bum in the field.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, May Day 10 said:

Vlad Junior needs a training program.  I cant believe how fat he has gotten

That is Vlad on a training program.....

They talked about it over the offseason about him being in a training program for the first time 

They acted like he was a baseball god coming in and they still think he's elite. Seems to be the usual over hype of a prospect

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

Imagine if they caught fire, made the playoffs, and they continued to play in Buffalo....and won the WS.

Would that end the city of Buffalo's championship drought?

No, but it would be a very Buffalo thing to happen having a team not from Buffalo winning a Championship while playing there.

Yesterday was the first 'Home' rainout out/delay for the Jays since 2003....

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

No, but it would be a very Buffalo thing to happen having a team not from Buffalo winning a Championship while playing there.

Yesterday was the first 'Home' rainout out/delay for the Jays since 2003....

Do you think people in Buffalo would try to claim the championship as Buffalo's?

Edited by Beast