Ranking Offensive Weapons by team

SCBills

So we now like Barnwell??? ?

and there are zero excuses for Allen.  His 3rd year in the same system with the same OC and head coach.  A solid o line.  A defense that carries the team.  

if this offense isn’t top half of the league (not a high bar), we don’t have the right guy.  

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and there are zero excuses for Allen.  His 3rd year in the same system with the same OC and head coach.  A solid o line.  A defense that carries the team.  

if this offense isn’t top half of the league (not a high bar), we don’t have the right guy.  

Agreed.  I like Allen and think we will see that.  

Also interesting is how low our divisional rivals were ranked.  All in the 20’s.    

When you factor in that the Bills/Pats have better OL’s than the Jets/Dolphins, that expectation for Allen becomes even more expectant, especially within the division. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely put up or shut up time for Allen. Same goes for Darnold and Mayfield as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Also interesting is how low our divisional rivals were ranked.  All in the 20’s.    

When you factor in that the Bills/Pats have better OL’s than the Jets/Dolphins, that expectation for Allen becomes even more expectant, especially within the division. 

Honestly, and they were terrible with Allen his first year, but the Bills have done a great job of developing Allen.  For the first time in forever, the Bills developed a qb right (Losman was also put in a good situation, he just sucked).  

I also think we should be happy with how much the Jets suck around Darnold.  They have totally done him a disservice.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Definitely put up or shut up time for Allen. Same goes for Darnold and Mayfield as well.

That’s why it’s so important to build a competent offense around your young QB.  

Baker was justifiably criticized for being underwhelming with a superstar offensive roster last year.  He has no excuses this year.   

Allen now has those expectations as well.  His first two years, yes - including last year, the excuses were justified (IMO).  Our weapons last year were meh, not bad, but very meh and all in their first year together, along with a brand new OL.   Continuity, the drafting of Moss and addition of Diggs drastically changes that.  

For Darnold, I already see their fans baking in excuses, and justifiably so... OL in their first year together and still without anyone as good as some of the Pats OL or Dawkins/Morse along with some seriously questionable weapons.. Bell, Gore, Perine, Herndon, Crowder, Mims and Perriman... I’d be making 3rd year excuses for Allen if we surrounded him with that as well.  

...:but by the end of the 3rd year, you need to know. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

8 feels about right but 7 for the Giants feels asinine to me. That one jumped out at me (and I’m a big Saquon fan).

I think they are really good.  Top 5 TE, Top 3 at worst ever, very solid Tate, Sheppard is good, and Slayton was awesome as a rookie.  Their biggest issues are they can’t stay healthy. 

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

For sure, though Darnold is in the worst situation of the 3 by far. 

he’s a guy I see not living up to his draft status and then goes to another team and has a nice career.  The Jets are a stupid franchise. 

This seems ok.  i suppose that it is looking at skill positions other than QB.  The scope is for 2020 only, weighted toward WRs and front line talent (rather than backup depth.)  He says that every player considered is not necessarily mentioned and he does not mention Moss.  Also, he does not mention one very important weapon for the Bills and that is Josh Allen as a runner.  Most teams do not have a QB run call as a weaponized option and I think it should be considered.  Even so, I think 8 is fair.

I understand the "no excuses" mantra but I would like to see what it looks like on the field before stating something like that.  I am not one to blame Daboll much as he has dealt with limitations well and has tried to take the offense forward while doing enough to win.  That's a tough balancing act.  Time to take the training wheels off.

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think they are really good.  Top 5 TE, Top 3 at worst ever, very solid Tate, Sheppard is good, and Slayton was awesome as a rookie.  Their biggest issues are they can’t stay healthy. 

For sure, though Darnold is in the worst situation of the 3 by far. 

he’s a guy I see not living up to his draft status and then goes to another team and has a nice career.  The Jets are a stupid franchise. 

Counter: Engram has started 25 games in 3 years. He can’t stay healthy. Tate and Sheppard started 10 a piece and Slayton put up decent numbers because he was the only guy in the lineup worth $.10. The Cardinals, Lions and Chargers all belong ahead of them imo. They all clearly have a better top to the receiving depth chart (which is most important according to Barnwell). Their #2 WR is better in (or at least equal) in all cases. They have good backs (not as good as Saquon) but good. The Giants don’t belong in the top half of the league IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I would have placed us higher than the Giants and Panthers, so I think 6th would have been right.  Barnwell didn’t even point out Moss’s impact.  The all time rushing leader for Utah. 4755 all purpose yards.  4067 rushing alone.  Everyone will know his name after this year. 4 prime time games, +2 4pm games which usually ends up being a national game.  People will know why there is a buzz on Buffalo by year end.

Ive heard the Allen needs to show it this year, but didn’t he only start two years at Wyoming?  If so, that is he is going to a top position into his 5th year.  Compare that to a Peyton Manning who played ina top program all 4 years, went to a crappy team and won 3 games year 1, then changed football.

Allen is no Manning, but an example he is growing and will show more improvement this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Barnwell is a POS. He also blocks people on Twitter who disagree with him like me.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I would have placed us higher than the Giants and Panthers, so I think 6th would have been right.  Barnwell didn’t even point out Moss’s impact.  The all time rushing leader for Utah. 4755 all purpose yards.  4067 rushing alone.  Everyone will know his name after this year. 4 prime time games, +2 4pm games which usually ends up being a national game.  People will know why there is a buzz on Buffalo by year end.

Ive heard the Allen needs to show it this year, but didn’t he only start two years at Wyoming?  If so, that is he is going to a top position into his 5th year.  Compare that to a Peyton Manning who played ina top program all 4 years, went to a crappy team and won 3 games year 1, then changed football.

Allen is no Manning, but an example he is growing and will show more improvement this year.

I really like Moss but it’s kinda hard to bank on that much from a 4th round rb before he’s taken a nfl snap. 

And Kyler Murray played one year in college.  And Manning went to the worst team in the nfl.  The Bills averaged 8 wins/ season in the 3 years before Allen.  In today’s nfl, it is easier than ever to be a qb.  You can see it much earlier.  Allen has some done some good things but he needs to win more with his arm to be a legit franchise guy. 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Counter: Engram has started 25 games in 3 years. He can’t stay healthy. Tate and Sheppard started 10 a piece and Slayton put up decent numbers because he was the only guy in the lineup worth $.10. The Cardinals, Lions and Chargers all belong ahead of them imo. They all clearly have a better top to the receiving depth chart (which is most important according to Barnwell). Their #2 WR is better in (or at least equal) in all cases. They have good backs (not as good as Saquon) but good. The Giants don’t belong in the top half of the league IMO.

Agreed with the health thing.  They are super talented though.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Just saw a video saying that Cam now has better weapons in New England than he ever had in Carolina.  He must think Cam is the GOAT if he had an MVP season with a supposedly bottom tier receiving corps.

Outside of the head coach and much less QB, everyone in the NFL is the same. Penalties and mistakes mean more than speed and size. Everyone is talented in the pros. These articles hype up players so the refs give calls and push star power. For QB, it's just about making the throws. The league will likely suspend everyone, but the team that best uses attrition, churning their bench to take out the stars of the other team, wins. They won't do it because losing with Mahomes and Brady going Hollywood makes more money than winning.

57 minutes ago, beavis said:

Outside of the head coach and much less QB, everyone in the NFL is the same. Penalties and mistakes mean more than speed and size. Everyone is talented in the pros. These articles hype up players so the refs give calls and push star power. For QB, it's just about making the throws. The league will likely suspend everyone, but the team that best uses attrition, churning their bench to take out the stars of the other team, wins. They won't do it because losing with Mahomes and Brady going Hollywood makes more money than winning.

Players should be hyped up - they make a difference.  

Look no further than our Playoff game against the Texans.  

No Fuller, but still, Hopkins made plays in the second half.  

Our WR’s - Brown failed to toe-tap on the sideline for what could’ve been a pseudo-game winning catch.   Duke Williams dropped a TD before half.  

That game, more than any other, highlighted the need to get Allen a “Diggs”.   Watching our skill players vs all the other skill players in the playoffs was eye opening. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Players should be hyped up - they make a difference.  

Look no further than our Playoff game against the Texans.  

No Fuller, but still, Hopkins made plays in the second half.  

Our WR’s - Brown failed to toe-tap on the sideline for what could’ve been a pseudo-game winning catch.   Duke Williams dropped a TD before half.  

That game, more than any other, highlighted the need to get Allen a “Diggs”.   Watching our skill players vs all the other skill players in the playoffs was eye opening. 

Very fair points.  I guess the counter is some truly great QBs elevate their skill players.  Besides Moss, Brady has made average to bellow average guys look much better than they are.  Same with Rodgers. Russell Wilson has never played with a 1st round/ star receiver.  

but I think this is Allen’s Trent Edwards moment.  The Bills had Evans and crazy TO and he couldn’t get it done.  This should be a top 15 offense if we have good qb play.