35 years ago - Live Aid

Just Jack

I was in college and worked a summer job at the Haagen-Dazs at the old Rainbow Centre mall in NIagara Falls. I remember being so mad that I had to stop watching to go into work, I thought the mall would be dead because everyone would be glued to their TVs watching the historic concert.

To my surprise, and disdain, the mall was packed with tourists and I realized that not everyone was enthralled with the all-star rock line-up as the 20 year-old version of me was.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I was in college and worked a summer job at the Haagen-Dazs at the old Rainbow Centre mall in NIagara Falls. I remember being so mad that I had to stop watching to go into work, I thought the mall would be dead because everyone would be glued to their TVs watching the historic concert.

To my surprise, and disdain, the mall was packed with tourists and I realized that not everyone was enthralled with the all-star rock line-up as the 20 year-old version of me was.

That was such a cool mall back in its day!  Did you ever go to the Festival of Lights around Christmas time?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That was such a cool mall back in its day!  Did you ever go to the Festival of Lights around Christmas time?

Every year. In fact, I actually have a DVD of a walk-through of the entire festival that a friend of mine made. It's a shame that they let it slip away, it was once one of the top winter destinations in all of America.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Still amazing that Phil Collins played in the London concert, took the Concorde across the ocean, and then played drums for Zeppelin later that day in Philly.

Well, if you talk to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, "played" is a pretty charitable characteration...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Every year. In fact, I actually have a DVD of a walk-through of the entire festival that a friend of mine made. It's a shame that they let it slip away, it was once one of the top winter destinations in all of America.

I was only a kid back then but it really was incredible, almost had a magical feel to me.  Used to love ice skating around lackey plaza during that time of the year too.  Probably a huge long shot but is your friend still making those DVD's?  I would be willing to pay if I could get my hands on something like that

I've seen some great live stuff (both live & on the telly), and haven't come across too much that equals Queen's performance.

I thought the Queen movie was kind of so-so, but actually cried when they got to that part.  Yeah, I can admit it.

I also cried during "Mighty Ducks II," so there's that.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

Well, if you talk to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, "played" is a pretty charitable characteration...

There's a reason they never allowed their portion of the recorded video to be used publically.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

There's a reason they never allowed their portion of the recorded video to be used publically.

Yep, they sucked.   

http://www.openculture.com/2018/09/led-zeppelin-reunited-crashed-burned-live-aid-1985.html

Then again, it gave them the motivation to practice hard for the 2007 "Celebration Day" concert, which was a wonderful career sendoff...

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yep, they sucked.   

http://www.openculture.com/2018/09/led-zeppelin-reunited-crashed-burned-live-aid-1985.html

Then again, it gave them the motivation to practice hard for the 2007 "Celebration Day" concert, which was a wonderful career sendoff...

Yes and Bob Dylan backed by Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood was pretty awful, too. Besides Queen I thought that Neil Young, Eric Clapton, U2 and Paul Young were some of the real standouts.

18 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I didn’t have MTV then but remember watching it on one of the broadcast networks.  

Too bad, MTV had the best coverage.

If I recall correctly, Frank Gifford covered the broadcast of Live Aid on ABC.

Edited by Mark Vader

21 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I was only a kid back then but it really was incredible, almost had a magical feel to me.  Used to love ice skating around lackey plaza during that time of the year too.  Probably a huge long shot but is your friend still making those DVD's?  I would be willing to pay if I could get my hands on something like that

He doesn't, but somewhere I have a box with a few of them. If I find them, I'll PM you and get one to you.