Amazon/USPS "delivered" package?

Just Jack

Anyone ever have this happen? Both Amazon and USPS show a package as delivered, but it's not where they say it should be. And according to the USPS website, they say give it 24 hours to show up before reporting a missing package. I wonder if drivers are allowed to mark stuff as delivered, as long as it gets delivered the next day. It was marked at 7:45PM, so I'm thinking the driver just wanted to go home. And yes, I was home and no one came to the door about that time. 

Edited by Just Jack

I am a supervisor for the post office. They are so overBurdened with packages on Sundays that have to be delivered before the 8pm cutoff and they have to have a scan on it. So most likely they scanned it and brought it back. Expect it to be delivered tomorrow with normal mail. That’s what I always tell the customers. If you don’t get it, then it’s misdelivered. 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Porch pirate

Like I said, no one approached my porch around the time it was marked delivered. 

23 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I am a supervisor for the post office. They are so overburdened with packages on Sundays that have to be delivered before the 8pm cutoff and they have to have a scan on it. So most likely they scanned it and brought it back. Expect it to be delivered tomorrow with normal mail. That’s what I always tell the customers. If you don’t get it, then it’s misdelivered. 

That's what I thought, being so late in the day. Thankfully it's nothing I needed desperately. 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Anyone ever have this happen? Both Amazon and USPS show a package as delivered, but it's not where they say it should be. And according to the USPS website, they say give it 24 hours to show up before reporting a missing package. I wonder if drivers are allowed to mark stuff as delivered, as long as it gets delivered the next day. It was marked at 7:45PM, so I'm thinking the driver just wanted to go home. And yes, I was home and no one came to the door about that time. 

This happens to us all the time - USPS shows a package was delivered to the Kid, who doesn't have it.   So far always shows up the next day.

• Like (+1) 1

Recently I had a package marked as delivered which required signature.  I got a copy of receipt and it was signed "T. Cat" (tomcat).

It was not delivered and there was no response on phone.

Next day it showed up on my porch.

Also had a package delivered from Omaha Steaks a few years ago.  It was a reward. 

It never showed up and called them.  Omaha Steaks stated this happens often and usually we find out someone else in house picked it up.  I told him there are only three in household and none picked it up.  We were home at time. He said maybe a helpful neighbor saw it since it was an insulated box.  I told them we rarely communicate with our neighbors and and have not spoken to them in over a year so unlikely and since two cars were in driveway they would have knocked or at least left a note.  He agreed to replace it but I had to pick it up at UPS since it was a "questionable non-delivery".  No attempt was made to call delivery service UPS.

Next afternoon I went to UPS office, provided two sets of IDs (requirement of sender) and gave me my package. 

Two evenings later a "neighbor" stated they found a package on their door stop with our address on it.  They had not returned home last night.  The address was the same as ours but with digits transposed making it being delivered a block away.

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Two evenings later a "neighbor" stated they found a package on their door stop with our address on it.  They had not returned home last night.  The address was the same as ours but with digits transposed making it being delivered a block away.

At least they brought it to you.  In my neighborhood when people get mail for other houses, they like to post on facebook and ask where they can bring it.  If only there was a handy number system on each piece of mail to tell you where the houses are...

• Haha (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

At least they brought it to you.  In my neighborhood when people get mail for other houses, they like to post on facebook and ask where they can bring it.  If only there was a handy number system on each piece of mail to tell you where the houses are...

Reminds me of 'Manchild in Beantown' when Claven delivered all the apartment building's mail to the wrong tenants.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

16 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I am a supervisor for the post office. They are so overBurdened with packages on Sundays that have to be delivered before the 8pm cutoff and they have to have a scan on it. So most likely they scanned it and brought it back. Expect it to be delivered tomorrow with normal mail. That’s what I always tell the customers. If you don’t get it, then it’s misdelivered. 

Yep, This. We've had it happen with a number of packages since the lockdown started. USPS says it's delivered, it's not on our porch, the wife freaks out and starts emailing everyone, and then it shows up the next day. I've gotten her to the point where she'll give it a day or so now. So far, everything has shown up... eventually.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, This. We've had it happen with a number of packages since the lockdown started. USPS says it's delivered, it's not on our porch, the wife freaks out and starts emailing everyone, and then it shows up the next day. I've gotten her to the point where she'll give it a day or so now. So far, everything has shown up... eventually.

This kind of thing is a fact of life each year at Christmas time.  I'm amazed that people are just figuring it out now.

• Like (+1) 1

So yes, it was delivered yesterday.  But to a house across the street.  They brought it over this evening.  Now, I do want to inform the USPS of the miss delivery, but not make it sound like a complaint.  Is there a form on the web I can fill out? 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

So yes, it was delivered yesterday.  But to a house across the street.  They brought it over this evening.  Now, I do want to inform the USPS of the miss delivery, but not make it sound like a complaint.  Is there a form on the web I can fill out? 

If not a regular issue, let it be. It’s a astronomical unemployment. Give a free pass unless it’s commonplace for the guy to mess up.

37 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If not a regular issue, let it be. It’s a astronomical unemployment. Give a free pass unless it’s commonplace for the guy to mess up.

No, it's not a regular issue. It's actually the first mis-delivered since moving here about a year and a half ago. In fact, today I received the rest of what was on the same order. 

19 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

No, it's not a regular issue. It's actually the first mis-delivered since moving here about a year and a half ago. In fact, today I received the rest of what was on the same order. 

so what’s the upside on reporting it?

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

so what’s the upside on reporting it?

Just so they can pass along to the delivery person to double check house numbers. Both the neighbor who had it and I have large house numbers, if you're looking, you can't miss it. But if you're only paying attention to a GPS that says "you're here" and you happen to be parked on the wrong side of the street, and you don't look for a house number, then that's the only situation I can see as to why they had it and not me. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, Bills!Win! said:

I guess I haven't been paying attention.....what's the Sunday 8pm cutoff?

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I guess I haven't been paying attention.....what's the Sunday 8pm cutoff?

I’m not sure exactly why, but the USPS has a huge deal with amazon and it’s imperative that all the packages have scans on them before 8pm every night. If we don’t do a good job we will lose a contract with them 

7 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

If we don’t do a good job we will lose a contract with them 

You mean there's something with more 'drag' than the U.S. Post Office?!  
?

I long for the simpler days, when Newman could say "When you control the mail, you control...information."

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Just so they can pass along to the delivery person to double check house numbers. Both the neighbor who had it and I have large house numbers, if you're looking, you can't miss it. But if you're only paying attention to a GPS that says "you're here" and you happen to be parked on the wrong side of the street, and you don't look for a house number, then that's the only situation I can see as to why they had it and not me. 

surely the guy that checks hundreds if not thousands of house numbers a day is aware he should look without you emailing his boss to tell him that he should look at the huge number on your house. 

of course it’s your right, but seriously think about it. 

I have a couple rather minor USPS issues. One really isn't with the Post Office but rather the tenants next door. The apartment next door (in my building) is rented to medical students taking a board certification course here in St Augustine. They stay in the apartment anywhere from 4-8 weeks. Well, many of these folks do a change of address at the PO, which i think is fairly ridiculous for temporary housing---but maybe they are between residences, I guess. 

The issues occur after they move. We still get mail to people who haven't lived here in years. Important mail, sometimes. No biggie. I just write "No longer at this address" and stick it back in the mailbox. Well, about half the time the mail carrier takes that mail, and leaves new mail to the exact same person. Seriously?  WTF? We get very few pieces of mail. How hard is it to take a second to make sure you aren't putting mail in the mailbox with the same name as the mail you are taking to return?  For this I blame both the old tenants and the carrier.

But mostly I just wanted to say, read Post Office by Charles Bukowski.

https://www.amazon.com/Post-Office-Novel-Charles-Bukowski/dp/0061177571