Random things you have accomplished during Covid/Quarantine?

We all have those little things we would love to do in the back of our minds that there just never seems to be enough time to actually get around to...Until this year.  All of this Covid stuff has really thrown a wrench into our normal daily lives and routines and given a lot of us some extra time to get around to those random things we always talk about doing but never follow through.  For me so far I have binge watched the entire tv series of Cheers(had never saw the show since its original run was just a bit before my time but have been wanting to watch it for a few years now) and have been going back and watching old WrestleMania's for the Nostalgia(I bought the WWE Network a few years ago because it was cheap and I figured it would be cool to go back and watch all of the old stuff as I watched it religiously growing up but once again never did find the time to watch anything on there until Covid hit).  I have watched Wrestle Mania's 3 through 11 so far and would like to keep it going.  I also found some time to go over to my parents and dig out all of my old sports cards that had been buried away in the basement over there.

Next on my list is to watch the Soprano's which is a show I know I'd love and have always wanted to see but when that was originally on it was during a time in my life where I wasn't really watching much TV except for Sports 

• Like (+1) 1

Up to the end of April most of my "accomplishments" were work-related. As the instructor of an undergrad biochemistry lab, after going online I had to simulate data that the students had to evaluate. To speed up things, I remembered the BASIC course I took as a student (Thank you, Professor Krauss) and was actually able to write a decent program with multiple nested loops to simulate the required data.

Since then, the long hours I usually watch sports were available for other purposes. First, I re-watched all 2019 Bills games on NFL GamePass. Then I watched the last season of Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle". Despite some criticism regarding the resolution of the story, overall I very much enjoyed it. And they made pretty sure that there would be no follow-ups - Obergruppenfuhrer/Reichsmarschall Smith (a brilliant Rufus Sewell) was the person who held all plots together.

Currently, I am on my way through the 1967 British series "The Prisoner". So far, it is very captivating.

And I read some biographies. One of Groucho Marx (the dynamics between the brothers are especially interesting) , another one of Robert Wyatt (drummer of the Brit jazz/rock Soft Machine, who became a paraplegic after falling out of a window, but continued to make very beautiful, personal music - his "Rock Bottom" would be on my "Top Ten" list).

The most impressive biography was "A Life Too Short" about Robert Enke, a German soccer goalkeeper. In November 2009, Enke was on his way to become the number one goalkeeper for the German national team for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. On 11/10/2009,  the depression that had haunted him on and off for quite some time became too strong and he ended his life.  

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 3

Does gaining almost 20 lbs count? ;)

I'm retired, but still my life has been altered & I am working off a list of things.  Don't know if I would've accomplished them w/o quarantine or not, but I probably wouldn't have had the list.

• Like (+1) 1

I cleaned out 10 years of documents from my cube drawers at work when we had to clear out and work from home in March. We have to go back next week, but one less thing to do when I retire in September.

2 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

I retired from work.

and it was planned regardless of the pandemic issue

I was originally going to retire in July, but with the pandemic I figured I’d stay on payroll a bit longer for the insurance, since all my appointments for dental and eyes got pushed back. Just using up all my vacation during the summer.

• Like (+1) 1

I've throughly, and I mean throughly, cleaned the house.  Top to bottom, stem to stern.  I've purged through some old documents and travel brouchures.  I went through my closets and dresser and got donated old clothes / shoes.  I set up a nice routine working from home and extended my yoga practice.  I've been getting up early each morning and work to meet my Pelotonia goal.

I do wish I had picked up a book or tv series.  But, I enjoy sitting outside and watch it get dark / quiet with a nice beverage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

I do wish I had picked up a book or tv series.  But, I enjoy sitting outside and watch it get dark / quiet with a nice beverage.

We’ve been watching Always Sunny at a leisurely pace, but that’s it.  I agree with you on sitting outside, and with a fire improves the mood for sure!

12 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Recently came across my grandfather’s 1933 world’s fair edition Hohner harmonica, and have been attempting to learn to play by way of YouTube instructional videos—no enduring success to report as of yet however :rolleyes:

Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIYP61K/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Then download some backing tracks in various keys to play along with:

https://texasbluesalley.com/stage/backing-tracks

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIYP61K/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Then download some backing tracks in various keys to play along with:

https://texasbluesalley.com/stage/backing-tracks

Much appreciated @WhoTom! Will definitely check this out. Have a lot of good memories of my grandfather playing the ‘harp’ during my childhood and figure this is a great way to connect back to that—do you play also? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Much appreciated @WhoTom! Will definitely check this out. Have a lot of good memories of my grandfather playing the ‘harp’ during my childhood and figure this is a great way to connect back to that—do you play also? 

I bought that book and a couple of harps a long time ago. The author has a good sense of humor and gives a lot of practical advice without delving into music theory, so it was pretty easy to develop a basic competence level. I fooled around with it for a while and then started playing guitar. then, about ten years ago, my guitar teacher offered a blues harp class, so I took it. It never really stuck, though, although once in a while I still pick it up and play. I find guitar to be more enjoyable, so that's what I play regularly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just finished clear coat staining the deck.

It is a 2 level deck and I am worn out.  Whew.

This dry hot spell is the perfect time according to the 

instructions on the can.

I was going to seal the driveway, but  a  contractor came by

and made an offer I could not refuse.

They did in 1 hour what would have taken me 10 hours.

I have a long driveway.

• Like (+1) 1