The plan to start the 2020 NFL season: (Update - NFL and NFLPA agree on all issues)

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

No surprise.  I will be amazed if they play any games, let alone a full 16 game season and playoffs.  

Camps being delayed would be the nail in the coffin for the season tbh. Imo it should be pushed back to spring 2021, play in empty stadiums and shorten the season. remove all AFC-NFC games. they will have enough time to start the following season in September 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Camps being delayed would be the nail in the coffin for the season tbh. Imo it should be pushed back to spring 2021, play in empty stadiums and shorten the season. remove all AFC-NFC games. they will have enough time to start the following season in September 

I don’t see how “delay” is a viable option for sports.  

Either they play or don’t.  

Nothing changes unless/until we get a vaccine.  

Even a state like New York, who has slow-rolled their re-opening, has the strictest mask/distancing regulations in the country and has already had a massive wave of cases and death, is seeing the same exact trends that southern states like Florida, Georgia, Texas etc saw a few months ago when they re-opened to the levels N.Y. is currently in.  

Either we learn to live with it or we shut down certain parts of life.  The United States is densely populated with a open economy, so comparing us to Europe or China or whoever, isn’t exactly an apt comparison.  Not saying you did that, but I see it other places, and it’s intellectually dishonest when you look at population density and socio-economic factors. 

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Isn't that what the 3week covid IR is?

Not exactly. The way I read it, Covid positive cases go to IR for 3 weeks. Separately, any player sent to IR for regular injury can return in 3 weeks instead of 8. I expect the reason would be to try to keep a roster as full as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Pen, I am not jumping on you at all, my friend.  I just disagree with the premise (and it has been raised before) that any delay in the season, or rather the start of the season, means they should wrap things up.

We have hockey, baseball and basket ball starting up their mini seasons long after two of their seasons would normally be over and one of them would be near or at its all-star break.

I just don't see where it is written in stone that if the Sunday season didn't start on September 13th there would be so much trouble.  If it helps them get things straight I can't image any squawk over a season starting on September 27th or October 4th and having the full season go until Super Bowl on February 28th.  Combine and the draft can all be very easily moved without any adverse effect on 2021.

Mind you, just my opinion.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Pen, I am not jumping on you at all, my friend.  I just disagree with the premise (and it has been raised before) that any delay in the season, or rather the start of the season, means they should wrap things up.

We have hockey, baseball and basket ball starting up their mini seasons long after two of their seasons would normally be over and one of them would be near or at its all-star break.

I just don't see where it is written in stone that if the Sunday season didn't start on September 13th there would be so much trouble.  If it helps them get things straight I can't image any squawk over a season starting on September 27th or October 4th and having the full season go until Super Bowl on February 28th.  Combine and the draft can all be very easily moved without any adverse effect on 2021.

Mind you, just my opinion.  

Actually starting earlier makes more sense than delaying. Delaying accomplishes nothing. Spreading out the games over a longer time period to allow for more rest/recovery (due to compressed off season conditioning) and quarantine time for impacted players would be the most beneficial way to go. From what I hear this is a strong consideration for the power 5. They are shortening the season to 10 conference games and then will play starting week Zero and until December with 18 week season. This would allow multiple bye weeks and 2 weeks off between many games. Compressed bowl season. CFB playoff would not be impacted from a timing perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

I respect the fact that they're genuinely trying to find solutions and create a safe environment for players and coaches, but man... I just don't know. There are too many variables, too many what ifs. I mean, if one of your starters comes down with it he goes into quarantine but does everyone he's been in contact with also have to quarantine? What if it hits a team and 20 or 30 players get it at the same time? Over half your roster has to go sit on IR for three weeks? Who's gonna play in place of those guys? How would that be fair to that team? They gonna allow a 40 player practice squad? 

I wanna see a full season as much as the next fan but I just don't see this playing out very well. I'm excited for this current Bills roster. I wanna see Allen take the next step and throw 35 touchdowns and 4000 yards. I wanna see Singletary and Moss run circles around defenses and see Tre pick off 10 passes while Edmunds becomes a top five MLB and Epenesa goes beast mode and racks up 15 sacks and a DROTY award. I wanna see Diggs catch 75 passes and score 12 TDs. Most of all I wanna see all that in a packed stadium with 68k Bills Mafia going ape-dookie. But at this point in time.... I just don't see it happening. And if it does, I don't think it'll be your typical NFL season. Not trying to come off like a pessimist, I try to find the bright spots as much as I can, but just looking at how things are right now with so many variables and unanswerable questions, it's difficult to truly believe it's gonna be business as usual. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually starting earlier makes more sense than delaying. Delaying accomplishes nothing. Spreading out the games over a longer time period to allow for more rest/recovery (due to compressed off season conditioning) and quarantine time for impacted players would be the most beneficial way to go. From what I hear this is a strong consideration for the power 5. They are shortening the season to 10 conference games and then will play starting week Zero and until December with 18 week season. This would allow multiple bye weeks and 2 weeks off between many games. Compressed bowl season. CFB playoff would not be impacted from a timing perspective. 

That's very interesting.  Either way, moving the opening or moving things around just doesn't seem to be a bellwether of canceling the season.

I hate you for being clear headed, YOLO.

Please panic more, but remember to hug your loved ones and tell them that you love them, regardless of your mood.

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Restaurant servers living off tips are back at work. Construction workers and roofers are back at work.  Truckers are back at work.  Grocery store clerks are back at work, and have been throughout the entire pandemic.  

They are all wearing masks, or they should be. I haven't seen any updates on a potential helmet with a built in mask. If even one player or coach on the team has the virus, everyone is at risk.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They are all wearing masks, or they should be. I haven't seen any updates on a potential helmet with a built in mask. If even one player or coach on the team has the virus, everyone is at risk.

The people they are serving aren’t wearing masks, and they are touching surfaces and money/cards/common items.  

If even one person comes to eat at the restaurant with the virus, everyone is at risk. 

Edited by SCBills

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The people they are serving aren’t wearing masks, and they are touching surfaces and money/cards/common items.  

That depends on the state. In states that are getting it under control the customers would also be wearing masks. Surface contact does not transmit the virus very well at all, it is almost all airborne.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That depends on the state. In states that are getting it under control the customers would also be wearing masks. Surface contact does not transmit the virus very well at all, it is almost all airborne.

Oh, really, the customers would be wearing their masks as they eat and drink?

Also...

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.Jul 7, 2020

image.png.5d7867fda8ec1aeeed7d88aab87c98d8.png
https://www.fda.gov › coronavirus-...