The plan to start the 2020 NFL season: (Update - NFL and NFLPA agree on all issues)

3 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

I know that but other leagues make you test negative for 2 days in a row.  That could be 1 week from the date or 3 weeks. 

Yep.

Will any players try to get Covid before the season starts so they don't miss three weeks? I sure hope not, but we're living in the stupidest timeline. 

5 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Yep.

Will any players try to get Covid before the season starts so they don't miss three weeks? I sure hope not, but we're living in the stupidest timeline. 

why would anyone want this virus? Good point

On 7/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, TroutDog said:

This, quite frankly, makes no sense to me. It’s football...many people are going to be in that proximity and teams will quickly be out of players should someone be positive. I’m also not sure the 6’ rule should apply outdoors. 

I really don’t see how this happens...particularly with fans. 

yea think of a linebacker or running back? They’d be heavy contact with front 7 on both teams as well as pass catchers/secondary. 

There needs to be some skin in the game for players, like if you test positive and it was because you deviated from the guidelines, you don't get paid.  And then further penalties if you infect others because of your behavior.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I was reading earlier about NBA players caught sneaking out of the bubble at WDW.  

Just forget sports for 2020. 

I know one guy crossed the line to grab his food from door dash. Were there others? 

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know one guy crossed the line to grab his food from door dash. Were there others? 

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They were speculating how many have snuck out and didn’t get caught. 

Which is why I proposed the above.

3 hours ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Yep.

Probably not.  During the year they will be paid unless NFL can show criminal negligence like attending a COVID-19 party or have injury settlement.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2020 at 8:33 AM, snafu said:

I’m not sure if it would make much of a difference, but they could play every ten days or two weeks to deal with testing/tracing. They could probably get a 12 game season that way. 

Letting fans in the stadium should be decided by State/local health departments — which is how they’re handling that so far. 

Playing every other week is not a bad idea. Gives you time to test and know.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sure. You willing to pay players for week they do not play?

Let's say the season is cut to 10-12 games. You can justify the full TV payment by stretching the season. You still pay players what their contact says. Doesn't matter over how many weeks. Plus an extra week makes it more likely you'll catch a player developing symptoms before they play another game. That'll reduce the spread.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:19 AM, Beast said:

There will be an 8 to 10 game season starting in November and ending in late February.

That’s kinda how I see it.  I feel that if we start as it’s scheduled, things will get shut down and might not restart for awhile, if at all.  If we give it some time, maybe aloe can find a vaccine and we can salvage something.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Read through a couple of the comments and I was wondering when people would start to get annoyed at athletes complaining about “pandemic football issues” when so many that root for them are currently/have been working through a pandemic in construction, roofing, retail, restaurants etc..  Not everyone has a WFH option and are usually making way less than NFL minimum salaries.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Probably not.  During the year they will be paid unless NFL can show criminal negligence like attending a COVID-19 party or have injury settlement.

Maybe but I can think of two situations -

1. Players with incentive based contracts

2. Players on the bubble who are only going to be rostered because of the Covid 19 cases

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The article:

https://www.outkick.com/nfl-players-coaches-need-to-better-understand-viral-load/

@Mr. WEO what do you think of this?  I don't have a high opinion of Chao.  He's got some good analogies in here.

I agree with him that banning jersey swaps is silly, asking players to mask before meeting up after the game makes sense.

Where I don't understand his assessment is in talking about the contacts during game play as "tackling a player and coming into direct contact for a brief period of time".

Sometimes same DB is assigned to cover the same WR all game.  The OL is going against the same DL and LB all game, and often those are the same players facing off.

So each contact may be brief, but the sum of the contacts adds up.  Or so it seems to me.