The plan to start the 2020 NFL season: (Update - NFL and NFLPA agree on all issues)

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah and it makes it so much better for people to state every other post that there won't be a season.

Like anyone actually knows what will happen.

I don’t know what will happen.  

I want, with all my heart, for there to be football.

In SW MO, the delay time for test results is running 5-7 days.  Contact tracing and even a “box in” strategy is impossible in those circumstances.  Across S. Mo, hospital bed capacity is quite limited.  Let the virus get into a bunch of care homes and it won’t be pretty, and how can it be kept out if it’s widespread in the community and the aides can’t get tested promptly and repeatedly?

I want, with all my heart, for there to be football.  But the thought of healthy football players being tested every day or every 3-4 days and getting prompt turn around while testing capacity is so limited that parts of the country can’t box in, contact trace, or test nursing home workers and residents - Epidemiology 101 for this - well, as a guy who worked for me used to say “That Ain’t Right”.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t know what will happen.  

I want, with all my heart, for there to be football.

In SW MO, the delay time for test results is running 5-7 days.  Contact tracing and even a “box in” strategy is impossible in those circumstances.  Across S. Mo, hospital bed capacity is quite limited.  Let the virus get into a bunch of care homes and it won’t be pretty, and how can it be kept out if it’s widespread in the community and the aides can’t get tested promptly and repeatedly?

I want, with all my heart, for there to be football.  But the thought of healthy football players being tested every day or every 3-4 days and getting prompt turn around while testing capacity is so limited that parts of the country can’t box in, contact trace, or test nursing home workers and residents - Epidemiology 101 for this - well, as a guy who worked for me used to say “That Ain’t Right”.

The league doesn't want a PR nightmare, was reading yesterday that the amount of tests the NFL would need is much higher compared to the NBA due to number of players and coaches and length of season still ahead. 

The NBA reported to the "bubble" last week about three weeks prior to NFL training camp opening day, they will be down to 8 teams max left by Sept 15th,  two days after the season opener so close to the same time frame as NFL training camp and preseason schedule.  Eight NBA teams is about the equivalent of two NFL rosters and coaches. Read yesterday tier-1 personal, i.e. people allowed inside all facilites will be limited to 60 per team plus all players.  So 90 players in training camp + 60 is about 150 per team.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Power, no.  But historically, when the Federal Government has issued public health guidance, it has been hugely influential - polio vaccination campaigns, for example.

The states that are currently doing best at containing the virus (NYS, knock on wood) are actually following the federal CDC guidance for reopening.  

The problem we’re seeing today is not lack of states “listening to Trump”, it’s a persistent mixed message from the Federal Government - on the one hand, CDC guidelines about not reopening until certain benchmarks for testing, contact tracing, declining tests, and hospital capacity are met - and “dialing it back” if things start to go in the wrong direction.  On the other hand, Trump tweets of support for “very good people who just want their lives back” protesting lockdowns and pushing for reopening, “99% harmless” (CDC data: hospitalization rate is at least 6% overall, not counting people who may have died without being tested who had COVID-like symptoms but negative RT-PCR test)

Like dogs, kids, or anyone really, when there’s a mixed message, people are gonna choose what they want to hear

This is the first time in my life that the country couldn't face a national emergency because every step we took was drenched in partisanship. From the moment Trump started limiting travel, the response has been to obfuscate and critique.  It has been the same way ever since. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 7/12/2020 at 5:15 AM, LabattBlue said:

So they haven’t figured out how to overcome the long delays between testing and results?  That is all you need to know.  

I’m guessing 80% chance there is no season. 

They will try to have a season without fans at the very least.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:07 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I must be in the minority, but I still contend there will be in this order a delayed training camp, no pre season games, a 16 game season with an expanded practice squad.  They will have the sidelines expanded as Dr. David Chow (the old San Diego team doctor who is always interviewed by various sources) suggested from the 40 to 40 yard line to the 20 to the 20 to practice social distancing.  

Why, quite simple, $.  The owners and the players have too much to lose.  They will put (most) of their health at some risk to keep making from hundreds of thousands to millions in a year. As it is most young people think they are invincible so they’ll take the risk.  Some NFL players will have great careers post football, but many believe in their hearts will not so they worked their whole life to make these $.

Just one man’s cynical view, and I could be wrong at everything I just said, but I may not.  Just like everyone on this board.  We are just speculating.

I hope you're right about a full season but I'm having more doubt as we get closer to training camp.  I believe you're right about why they are trying to play.  Simply so much $ at stake. My biggest concern is the players willingness to adhere to safety protocols.  Can they really be counted on to do everything possible to avoid getting the virus.  Even if they do, we know guys are going to test positive.  It's a matter of how many.  Fingers crossed.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:04 AM, TroutDog said:

This, quite frankly, makes no sense to me. It’s football...many people are going to be in that proximity and teams will quickly be out of players should someone be positive. I’m also not sure the 6’ rule should apply outdoors. 

I really don’t see how this happens...particularly with fans. 

I seriously hope I’m wrong, but I see very little chance that they pull off a complete season this year. Create a plan and hope for a great 2021. It’s all I got.....

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I hope you're right about a full season but I'm having more doubt as we get closer to training camp.  I believe you're right about why they are trying to play.  Simply so much $ at stake. My biggest concern is the players willingness to adhere to safety protocols.  Can they really be counted on to do everything possible to avoid getting the virus.  Even if they do, we know guys are going to test positive.  It's a matter of how many.  Fingers crossed.

DC, thanks and no, I don’t see them employing social distancing unless forced.  It’s just a reflection of society as I never see young people employing basic CDC standards.  I constantly have to take several steps back when people get way too close to me.  I try not to confront, but sometimes it’s impossible not to say something.  I was in the grocery store the other day (masks required indoors, but he didn’t have one on) and a young guy came right up next to me.  Now we have like you guys the stickers on the ground, and I was paying the cashier so couldn’t move away.  I had to say to him “hey bud, six feet”.  I tried to say it with a nice tone of voice, but this knucklehead said, “well you have a mask on”. I told him it doesn’t matter.

My point simply is my expectation for players to respect six feet, etc.wont happen.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, the NCAA has scientifically proven that COVID-19 only spreads in non-conference games. Applied to the NFL, that may mean the Bills will only play AFC teams. But because the NFL is smarter than the NCAA, in an effort to really outsmart the virus, the NFL will set up a schedule where teams bubble up with the other teams in their division and only play each other like 3 or 4 times. .... Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

these are the fittest people on the planet.   If they test positive, the vast, vast majority won't be effected.  Look at other sports.. big headlines when someone tests positive, then, crickets.  

The coaches, however, should be masked at all times.   and hide the parents and grandma.

And, Come on Pegs, give these away at the stadium gates to everyone.  image.png.11ab177f8e6e23e82196ec0b457b7559.png

Would be cool to see 60,000 people with the 80's zubaz masks on. 

Edited by ProcessTruster

10 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

these are the fittest people on the planet.   If they test positive, the vast, vast majority won't be effected.  Look at other sports.. big headlines when someone tests positive, then, crickets.  

The coaches, however, should be masked at all times.   and hide the parents and grandma.

And, Come on Pegs, give these away at the stadium gates to everyone.  image.png.11ab177f8e6e23e82196ec0b457b7559.png

Right now, I don't think it would be cool to see 60,000 people anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I think OL could be at risk. Those guys are around 300 lbs. I do think the NFL will try and play. I think CFB is toast for this year.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I seriously hope I’m wrong, but I see very little chance that they pull off a complete season this year. Create a plan and hope for a great 2021. It’s all I got.....

Agreed. This country has to get this under control before getting to our new normal. While we all want some form of escape, contact sports make very little sense as has been proven already. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

even the 350 lb linemen with big guts.....are you saying they may not have high blood pressure or cholesterol issues?

• Like (+1) 1