New Redskins name in 24-48 hours

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It’s funny how they classified this as breaking news..

I guess I'm shocked at how quickly this is being announced.  Considering the owner for years stated, they will never change the name, I expected a fairly long study, maybe in hopes the controversy would quite down and he could totally avoid changing it, if not by next off-season it would change.  And to me, I understand it's a hot topic, but considering how long they have been with the same name, I would think long and hard as to a new one before changing it. Unless they announce they are going to a temporary name.  So to me this is breaking news.

28 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I guess I'm shocked at how quickly this is being announced.  Considering the owner for years stated, they will never change the name, I expected a fairly long study, maybe in hopes the controversy would quite down and he could totally avoid changing it, if not by next off-season it would change.  And to me, I understand it's a hot topic, but considering how long they have been with the same name, I would think long and hard as to a new one before changing it. Unless they announce they are going to a temporary name.  So to me this is breaking news.

when your sponsors start pulling dollars, and you are already in an economic downturn... motivation to change happens 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I bet Snyder saw how much money he would make with a name change with all Redskins fans buying new gear. I doubt he cares that his team name might offend some people but saw dollar signs with the logo/name change.

The issue wasn't so much that he was going to make more money with the name change as it was that he was going to lose a lot of money if he didn't make the name change. The three top minority owners (together 40%) were putting their stakes up for sale. And one of the minority owners who owned Federal Express sent him an official notification that if he didn't change the name he was going to take the signage of his company for Fed Ex field off the stadium. The impetus for Fed Ex was that they were receiving public pressure to not associate with the Redskin name or be at risk of facing a product boycott. 

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

when your sponsors start pulling dollars, and you are already in an economic downturn... motivation to change happens 

Bingo!

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It’s funny how they classified this as breaking news..

Isn't it?

6 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I've been hearing Braves or Warriors. I like Capitols

Not sure if you've heard, but if you look at the NHL...

As for the first two, I'd still rather they went with a name that wasn't already in use by another major league team.

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My suggestions;

1.  The Capital Hill Swindlers

2. The D.C. Disaster

3. The Washington Monuments

A little too on the nose with that one.

Edited by 1ManRaid

14 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I bet Snyder saw how much money he would make with a name change with all Redskins fans buying new gear. I doubt he cares that his team name might offend some people but saw dollar signs with the logo/name change.

Snyder saw how much he stood to lose with his corporate sponsors threatening to pull the plug on his unshared revenue stream.

And you’re absolutely right that he couldn’t care less that some people are offended by the team name. 

It will be interesting to see how the new team gear sells though. I think it will be a big seller.