Perry Mason - HBO

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

I expected.................Perry Mason. Caught a little bit of one or two episodes. It wasn’t “Perry Mason”, but I’ll check it out a bit more and see how it goes. 

... We watch the original at least once a week so yes different. This is before he was a lawyer (supposedly) as a private detective. Yup takes getting used to but has a good murder mystery to it. Historical sets are great as I said. I;m sure some people here are shocked about "Paul Drake"

I really wanted to like this having been a fan of the original. It's been just ok for me so far but I'll stick with it.

I get that this is being sold as a sort of prequel and it's kind of cool the way they are setting-up the back stories for Mason, Paul Drake and Della Street. I do agree though that the sets and wardrobes are great!

One of my biggest disappointments: I was REALLY looking forward to a redux of the opening theme song. Instead we got...nothing.

Edited by Tony P
add a comment

5 hours ago, Tony P said:

I really wanted to like this having been a fan of the original. It's been just ok for me so far but I'll stick with it.

I get that this is being sold as a sort of prequel and it's kind of cool the way they are setting-up the back stories for Mason, Paul Drake and Della Street. I do agree though that the sets and wardrobes are great!

One of my biggest disappointments: I was REALLY looking forward to a redux of the opening theme song. Instead we got...nothing.

Ya know, They should have played that song!  Good thought.

4 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Isn't the original show still being shown on over-the-air tv and/or cable still?

Its on FETV nightly, #323 on your DTV dial

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has stuck with it, Sunday's episode was the best so far. 

****SPOILER FROM HERE ON****

Sure took a long time to get there, especially as an "origin" story. I let out an audible shriek when the guy sitting across from Mason said..."Hamilton Berger"!!!!

I'm hoping it continues with the upward trend. 

• Like (+1) 1

So far, I think Perry Mason is a solid miniseries. It has a good mystery, well-defined characters, good direction, excellent actors and a setting/cinematography that is character itself. One of the few miniseries where the story kicks up a notch half-way through and I'm only concerned there are too few episodes.  Thought this would get more buzz and puzzled by the wishy-washy reviews. 

Agree on all points. As I mentioned above, I thought it was a bit slow in the early episodes but as you said, the plot has thickened nicely. I haven't really read many of the reviews but wonder if the seemingly slow pace early on has something to do with it. 

Only 9 episodes does seem a bit short for where we are now in the story. I just hope that HBO orders a 2nd season.  

Edited by Tony P

• 2 weeks later...