Sport "slogans" or quotes that stay with you..

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Haha! I still say both of those. :beer:

Some others I love:

"You can get it done. You can get it done. What's more, ya GOTTA get it done!" - Bills coach Lou Saban

"I'll be back with the happy recap..." - The late, great Mets broadcaster Bob Murphy (after a victory)

"Put it in the books!" - Current Mets broadcaster Howie Rose (after a victory)

"How about that?!" - 'This Week In Baseball' host (and Yankees announcer) Mel Allen

"I don't believe what I just saw!" - Legendary Cardinals broadcaster, Jack Buck, after Kirk Gibson's 1988 WS Game 1 winning HR

And, of course, these... ?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sports-center---romano/n11217

Forgot about that Saban one!.. that is an all timer .. ! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Marv on Buffalo weather - "When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!"

One of my personal favorites came from tennis broadcaster Bud Collins. While calling a McEnroe match in the 80's, "Lendl hit's a sharp angled forehand across to McEnroe's backhand side, which he returns with an even sharper angle to win the point. It's pythagorean!"

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, dwight in philly said:

This probably wont go anywhere , but remember as a kid Van Miller  .saying . "lookie lookie  here comes  Cookie "  Dan Neaverth , PA announcer  for the Braves "thats 2 for mcadoo "  find myself  still saying that stuff.. anyone have any others? I Know Marv Albert's "YES!  and it counts"  on Knicks games..  is classic 

I hate "yes and it counts!" Makes no sense.  Yes means "it went in," so of course it counts.  

Still, for Marv it's  his signature call, and being known for a call is a cool thing.  

My favorite is "Shaw is right!" Don't hear that one very often.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Every girlfriend I've ever had could tell you this one. I say it too much. 

"It's in the hole."

It's odd you have to actually tell her that. My wife always knows! ????

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!  Hell no!!"

– Hank Bullough, just about any halftime locker room talk during his coaching tenure.

(If the President can get the coaching facts wrong, then so can I.  ?)

"Tell them to go out there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper." - Fred Trump

• Haha (+1) 1

I mean, it ain't a slogan, but it's the only piece of poetry that ever stuck with me:

“Fight on my men, Sir Andrew said
I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I'll lay me down and bleed a-while,
And then I'll rise and fight again.”

Life is kind of like being a Buffalo Bills fan right? It might crap all over you sometimes. But you have to get up and keep going. Maybe you'll make your goal, maybe you won't. But you have to keep trying.

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

RJ broadcasting any Sabres game over the last 50 years:

"The SHAAAAWT!!!!!!..............right on."

Living out of the Buffalo market, occasionally I get to see a Sabres game on NHL Network with the Sabres broadcast and that call always makes me smile.