Sport "slogans" or quotes that stay with you..

18 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

No one with 'Fasten your seat belts'?

'It's Fandemonium!'

Hard to believe it was 6 pages until this one came up. Oh well, there goes my contribution.

Guess I'll go with "whoever said it's 'not whether you win or lose that counts' probably lost."

Martina Navratilova

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Always enjoyed Mike Lange’s calls for Pens hockey growing up—“lord Stanley lord Stanley! Get me the brandy!” —“scratch my back with a hacksaw”—“Elvis has just left the building”i h

over the years i heard mike lange ocassionally  very good! 

• Like (+1) 1

"MIami has the oranges, but Buffalo has the Juice" - Howard Cosell

"We didn't block well on Offense, but we made up for it by not tackling on Defense" - John McKay

" ooh La La Pierre, it's six nothing Buffalo!" - Rick Jeanneret while the Sabres were crushing the Bruins. Not sure which I liked more, Rick Jeanneret getting so excited or that the Sabres were crushing the Bruins. 

Jim Valvano: “Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.”   I try and follow that   One year I was in a Fantasy Football League and was only seemingly mathematically still in it.  Another guy with the same record said “Well, we’re both out of it.”  He quit while I continued to manage my team.  Not only did I make the playoffs, I won the league.  In general, just about anytime I get frustrated with something and think about giving up, I remember that quote and try to push through.

Another one is Jim Mora’s infamous “Playoffs?!” rant.  Anytime a team I follow is just about eliminated from playoff contention but someone says they’re still alive for the playoffs, I think of Mora.  Like the Sacramento Kings this year.  They get to play an additional 8 games because they’re only 3.5 games behind the 8th place team.  Playoffs?

On 7/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, dwight in philly said:

This probably wont go anywhere , but remember as a kid Van Miller  .saying . "lookie lookie  here comes  Cookie "  Dan Neaverth , PA announcer  for the Braves "thats 2 for mcadoo "  find myself  still saying that stuff.. anyone have any others? I Know Marv Albert's "YES!  and it counts"  on Knicks games..  is classic 

"Top Shelf where Momma hides the cookies!" and "La-la-la-la-la-la-lafontaine!!" by RJ

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

"Mamma butta la pasta!" (with a strong american accent)

From the Illinois Native Dan Peterson, who had a great basketball career as a coach here in Italy and become famous as a commentator of italian basketball and NBA.

He used to say the famous catchphrase at the decising moment of the game, even if there was still time to play, the game was over and everyone could tell their mom they would be ready to have lunch!

On 7/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, dwight in philly said:

This probably wont go anywhere , but remember as a kid Van Miller  .saying . "lookie lookie  here comes  Cookie "  Dan Neaverth , PA announcer  for the Braves "thats 2 for mcadoo "  find myself  still saying that stuff.. anyone have any others? I Know Marv Albert's "YES!  and it counts"  on Knicks games..  is classic 

Haha! I still say both of those. :beer:

Some others I love:

"You can get it done. You can get it done. What's more, ya GOTTA get it done!" - Bills coach Lou Saban

"I'll be back with the happy recap..." - The late, great Mets broadcaster Bob Murphy (after a victory)

"Put it in the books!" - Current Mets broadcaster Howie Rose (after a victory)

"How about that?!" - 'This Week In Baseball' host (and Yankees announcer) Mel Allen

"I don't believe what I just saw!" - Legendary Cardinals broadcaster, Jack Buck, after Kirk Gibson's 1988 WS Game 1 winning HR

And, of course, these... ?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sports-center---romano/n11217

• Awesome! (+1) 1