Patriots settle compensation grievances with Antonio Brown, Aaron Hernandez

Gugny

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

With a 59.6% career completion %, and now he’s so banged up, he can’t be the athlete he was a few years ago so no.  The great Cam will be nothing in terms of great which is why I don’t care he went to NE.  I believe you were just kidding, but the sky is falling attitude from others is silly with him in NE.  Personally, I don’t like the guy, but he is not Brady.  I at least respected how incredibly accurate and Great decision making choices he made over the years.

Living in Tampa, I get the irony having to support him here in Tampa.  I’ve said 100x, but the Bills are always my first team, but living here half my life, I do root for the Bucs.  I want to see Cam flame and burn this year, and if really lucky watch him get cut before the end of the year.

Fair enough.    I don't think Cam will make much of a difference at this point as well.

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

You don't believe Cam the great will have any impact?

Cam hasn't exactly made an impact the past few years. His body is broken. Took too many hits and the officials never called roughing the passer for him so defenders knew they could just clobber him every play.

I almost wonder if he will even win the starting job. But we'll see. Maybe he is healed up and can get back to form. I just wonder how their offense will cater to him because he is the exact opposite type of QB that Brady was.

It’s funny, my initial reaction was, “crap, they are back”, and I still think that COULD be the case.  If he is healthy and can go full out, they are going to be trouble.  Remember, Cam’s biggest threat was Ted Ginn and he won 15 games in a year.  He’s everything we are hoping Allen can become when he’s healthy. 

The question is, is he healthy?  If so, can he stay healthy? 

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It’s funny, my initial reaction was, “crap, they are back”, and I still think that COULD be the case.  If he is healthy and can go full out, they are going to be trouble.  Remember, Cam’s biggest threat was Ted Ginn and he won 15 games in a year.  He’s everything we are hoping Allen can become when he’s healthy. 

It was actually Greg Olsen.  And that was 5 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

so glad you said this Doc, not sure why everyone focuses on Ginn when Olsen had nearly 1,200 yards that year and the record was indicative of a bad division and soft conference, heck look at each games breakdown, one could argue the D dragged them to that record more than Cam.

the year before the Panthers won that division @ 7-8, and the year after they were 6-10 (4th),  that was hardly sustained dominance through Cam or the team.

dont get me wrong, Cam is the quintessential athlete, his ability is far above most QB, he just lacks focus and that’s the key at the end of the day, focus and skill will drive the athlete greatness, in this case, I don’t put him in the greatness category, even if we look at that year alone.

however, focus and skill can overcome the absence of athleticism, We have current examples of that today in the NFL.

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I have no problems with Cam like many posters do but some facts:

• Teams win games not a player
  • He led to 15 wins in one season only

1 hour ago, Say When... said:

so glad you said this Doc, not sure why everyone focuses on Ginn when Olsen had nearly 1,200 yards that year and the record was indicative of a bad division and soft conference, heck look at each games breakdown, one could argue the D dragged them to that record more than Cam.

the year before the Panthers won that division @ 7-8, and the year after they were 6-10 (4th),  that was hardly sustained dominance through Cam or the team.

dont get me wrong, Cam is the quintessential athlete, his ability is far above most QB, he just lacks focus and that’s the key at the end of the day, focus and skill will drive the athlete greatness, in this case, I don’t put him in the greatness category, even if we look at that year alone.

however, focus and skill can overcome the absence of athleticism, We have current examples of that today in the NFL.

Good call.  They were slated to have the 6th easiest schedule going into the season and ended-up playing the easiest one.  The Cheats have the hardest schedule going into this season.

46 minutes ago, boater said:

Pats fans think so. Patriots Linked to Free Agent and Former No. 1 Pick

Frankly, I still don't think NE has the cap space.

They may have the cap space, but again, Clowney wants to play for a SB contender.  They're not.

49 minutes ago, boater said:

Pats fans think so. Patriots Linked to Free Agent and Former No. 1 Pick

Frankly, I still don't think NE has the cap space.

Anything is possible boater as math wizzes can do a lot to kick the can on the cap, but conventionally they still have to sign draft picks so they still only have about $8 mil.

Not enough for that motard (sorry just saw the remake of Red Dawn) who is not worth it.  In s9 e ways, I’d love for them to leverage even more cap space to get Clowney.  What, 3 sacks a year and good against the run.  Yeah, he’s worth $15 mil./yr.?

Cap guys are going to say he’s worth $10-12mil. On a 1 yr. deal and no one wants to do a multiple year deal with this financial uncertainty.  Enjoy sitting on the couch Clowney until you stop listening to you’re agent.

7 hours ago, Say When... said:

Notice, I said THREAT, not most productive.  Olsen scares no one, he’s a really good TE, but Ginn was the only guy who could actually hit the home run.  Cam carried that team and it’s not a question. 

9 hours ago, Doc said:

yes that was 5 years ago and Olsen was the steady guy, not the big hitter.

I think they sign Joe Thuney to a long term deal and add a mid tier OL or DL free agent for depth.  

As for the season and SB contenders, etc. this year is a total wild card due to COVID in my honest opinion.  Any team can be decimated by positive tests at any time and lose half their starters for weeks at a time.  I think its going to happen to some team, maybe a few teams and it will effect the season.  So add COVID to the usual injury gamble and this division is potentially anyone's.  NE has the best coach, staff, facilities, etc. which in times like this is a significant advantage.  I look at Newton and don't compare him to Brady, I immediately think of how Belichick was able to make Testaverde a pro-bowl QB after his disastrous start in TB.  They're going to be solid on D and special teams, run the ball and put their QB in a position to manage the game, which I think Newton can do.  Worst case for us is all of that works, Newton is healthy and mobile and NE avoids the injury bug.  I think they will be a different animal this year and last year is no predictor.  

On 7/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, machine gun kelly said:

With a 59.6% career completion %, and now he’s so banged up, he can’t be the athlete he was a few years ago so no.  The great Cam will be nothing in terms of great which is why I don’t care he went to NE.  I believe you were just kidding, but the sky is falling attitude from others is silly with him in NE.  Personally, I don’t like the guy, but he is not Brady.  I at least respected how incredibly accurate and Great decision making choices he made over the years.

Living in Tampa, I get the irony having to support him here in Tampa.  I’ve said 100x, but the Bills are always my first team, but living here half my life, I do root for the Bucs.  I want to see Cam flame and burn this year, and if really lucky watch him get cut before the end of the year.

He was in the mvp conversation before he got hurt 2years who and completed 67% of his passes.  Obviously it depends on his health, but I’d much rather have dealt with Stidham: Hoyer.

and hot take but Hernandez and Brown were just misunderstood.  Bad culture in NE.  

23 hours ago, Doc said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00/gamelog/2018/

he was killing it before he got hurt.  And Carolina has had crap at receiver.  Awful judges of receivers.  He might not be healthy, but if he is, he’s a problem.  For whatever reason, he’s so underrated on this board.  He, when healthy, is a top 10 qb.  I’d rather NE not have that. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:53 AM, machine gun kelly said:

hey, if Belicheat can make Brady look good in that system....think of what he can do with a real athlete back there! 

Belicheat didn’t make Brady look good, he’s just good.  Maybe the same system helped a great deal, but he was so smart and quick thinking he diagnosed other teams.  Now Beli. Would be a genius devising a new game plan each week, but almost no one could implement that like Brady.  Again, hate the guy, only because he’s that good.  Newton and company will never be able to do that so Belicheat’s abilities will be limited because of his limitations.  

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

he was killing it before he got hurt.  And Carolina has had crap at receiver.  Awful judges of receivers.  He might not be healthy, but if he is, he’s a problem.  For whatever reason, he’s so underrated on this board.  He, when healthy, is a top 10 qb.  I’d rather NE not have that. 

"Killing it"?  His completion rate (a fave of yours) has been below 60% in 5 of the last 6 years, and he's only been above it twice in his 9-year career.  His TD:INT ratio since his MVP year of 2015 has been 1.5:1, whereas Brady rarely threw picks.  And maybe the Panthers' receivers have been bad, but they're not going to be any better with the Cheaters.  Then there's that hardest schedule in the NFL thing.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

"Killing it"?  His completion rate (a fave of yours) has been below 60% in 5 of the last 6 years, and he's only been above it twice in his 9-year career.  His TD:INT ratio since his MVP year of 2015 has been 1.5:1, whereas Brady rarely threw picks.  And maybe the Panthers' receivers have been bad, but they're not going to be any better with the Cheaters.  Then there's that hardest schedule in the NFL thing.

He completed 67% of his passes in his last healthy season (2018) and was in the MVP conversation until he got hurt.  

again, if healthy, he’s a problem.